GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Door edge protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door edge protection

Our GL shares the garage with our X5 which is a bit tight when opening the rear doors. I already have one chip on the edge of the GL door.

Has anyone found a nice door edge protector that's clear and not noticeable?

I am considering the Xpel door edge protector. Anyone tried this or something comparable?

http://www.amazon.com/Xpel-R3023-Cle...0688983&sr=1-1
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
Never have. Try it out and post some pix! I prefer the chrome ones. Adds a lot of class to the look.

jk.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Don't you have to be a member of AARP and drive an Oldsmobile/Buick to qualify to buy those?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL550
Originally Posted by BJ021
Don't you have to be a member of AARP and drive an Oldsmobile/Buick to qualify to buy those?
Had them on my 68 El Camino back in 1968.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by BJ021
Ech, my doors are getting so messed up, I'm thinking about putting some on myself. I will likely get chrome, 'cus I'm that type of guy. I only wish they made those chrome wheel well eyebrows that were popular for MBs in the '80s and '90s to go with them. I'm being serious.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:11 PM

Researched other forums and this one seems like the best option in the market if you want near invisible. Just ordered it so let's see how it works out.

Xpel also makes paint protection film for the front of the car.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:30 PM

2008 GL 320
Door Edges

HI. I ordered a 3m paint protection kit from invisiblemask.com, and installed the full kit on my gl myself. It has door edge film, as well as pieces for the rear bumper, lower quarter panels and all 4 doors, front fender and hood, and the entire front bumper. I was quoted 800 dollars plus the cost of the kit at my mercedes dealer. I made the decision to order this and install myself, the kit was approx 250 dollars. It is an amazing product, but I found some of the pieces( especially the front bumper section ) to be a more than a moderate diy task, I purchased this kit in 2008 and installed when my gl was brand new. Since then I have installed on my corvettes and a friends 2011 ml320. This may be a bit overboard for what you are looking for, but it is the ultimate solution to protect against road debris and nicks. One hint I have is to use a clay bar and clean your paint properly, and to start with the smaller sections and work towards becoming proficient before tackling the larger sections, or simply have an autobody shop do the install.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Thx. I just installed the Xpel door edge protection. I think it's similar to the 3m product. It's a great product. Install was super easy -- especially if you need to reapply. On our diamond white finish, it's difficult see the edge protection. I was concerned if it would offer any protection since it felt so thin. But it definitely works.

Shortly after installing it on our X5 door, I opened it and accidently hit the GL which was parked next to it. The X5 has a sharp edge on the rear door and caused damage to our previous car in past. This time, no damage. Worth the $10 from amazon. Highly recommended.

Originally Posted by store237
HI. I ordered a 3m paint protection kit from invisiblemask.com, and installed the full kit on my gl myself. It has door edge film, as well as pieces for the rear bumper, lower quarter panels and all 4 doors, front fender and hood, and the entire front bumper. I was quoted 800 dollars plus the cost of the kit at my mercedes dealer. I made the decision to order this and install myself, the kit was approx 250 dollars. It is an amazing product, but I found some of the pieces( especially the front bumper section ) to be a more than a moderate diy task, I purchased this kit in 2008 and installed when my gl was brand new. Since then I have installed on my corvettes and a friends 2011 ml320. This may be a bit overboard for what you are looking for, but it is the ultimate solution to protect against road debris and nicks. One hint I have is to use a clay bar and clean your paint properly, and to start with the smaller sections and work towards becoming proficient before tackling the larger sections, or simply have an autobody shop do the install.