GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

USAA Incentive + Good Lease Rates for June = Great Deal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
USAA Incentive + Good Lease Rates for June = Great Deal

When speaking with a dealer last week, he asked if we were USAA members. I told him no, and he asked if we or any immediate family member was in the military. I told him my dad was like 40 years ago, and he said we would qualify as long as he was still alive and willing to make a phone call. He went on to say that there is a $6,000 incentive for June on all GLs from USAA - no purchase from USAA or any other cost required.

Being skeptical of actually qualifying for the USAA incentive, I negotiated a deal with the $2k conquest for $64,325 for a $71,825 MSRP (Palladium with P1, lighting, blind spot, parktronic, RES prep, heated wheel, running boards and trailer hitch). Seeing how others were quoting up to 11% off back a month or two ago, I figured getting $7500 off was a very good deal. Since I was leasing I also opted for the $805 3/30 maintenance, since it would only cost me 35% of that amount during the lease (since MB Finance residualizes the maintenance program -- this is why they advertise it as $10/mo -- most of it goes back into the lease end residual). Lease payment was in the low $720s (27mo., 15k miles/year with $5k total at delivery).

So that evening, I called my dad and asked him to call USAA and inquire since it was another $4k discount. They told him that he qualified, and thus I qualified. He got both of us USAA ID numbers, and I went on line and confirmed the $6,000 incentive under their auto purchase program.

I emailed the dealer the USAA certificate the next morning and he responded that he reran the lease numbers with the $6k USAA instead of the $2k Conquest and the new lease payment knocked my socks off: $568/mo for 27 months, 15k miles per year, total of $5,000 at delivery which includes all taxes since NY requires them paid in full up front. Again, this payment includes the 3/30 maintenance. This is about $150/month less per month!

USAA does check their facts -- before giving me a "control number" for the incentive (limited to one per calendar year per member), my dad had to call in again and verify his military experience. All that took him a 5 minute phone call, and then another 5 minute phone call for me to give them the dealer's name / fax number so they could fax a member verification number and the control number directly to the dealer.

I have a finance background, and checked the lease numbers which confirmed I paid $60,325 for a $71,825 MSRP car, a discount of $11,500 plus another $805 for the maintenance. The June lease special is 27 months for a 0.00116 money factor (.00126 if you don't do auto pay), and 65% residual for 15k miles/year. For those who drive fewer miles, I think the residual for 10k miles is 68% and for 12k miles it is 67% for June.

For anyone in the NY metro area, I'd happily recommend my salesperson (you can email me through this forum), as he even swapped with another dealer to get the color combination / options we wanted. It was the easiest car deal I've ever done, and definitely the biggest savings off MSRP I've ever gotten. For the record, I have no financial interest in recommending him; there are no referral bonuses, kickbacks, etc. -- I am just a big believer in paying it forward. We went to 4 dealers, none of who had Palladium/black with the lighting package and everyone wanted us to take something off their lot if we wanted a good price. And I actually did this whole deal via phone -- I didn't meet the salesperson face-to-face until this morning when we picked up the car.

Last edited by High Technology; 06-16-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Originally Posted by High Technology
$568/mo for 27 months, 15k miles per year, total of $5,000 at delivery which includes all taxes since NY requires them paid in full up front.
Sounds like very good deal.
One small correction : NY does not require taxes upfront. You can include it in payment and actually this is the right way to do when you leasing.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
DBV

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 GLC and 2017 BMW 530xi M-Sport
That sounds like a great deal! I wonder if the same $11,500 can be used to purchase the car or if it is only on a lease?

We have been looking trading in our 08 GL320, because resale value is very high and we have a little over 50,000 miles on our car. We were looking at ML Diesel and BMW X5 Diesel. But, if we can get a GL for $11,500 of, that would probably be a no brainer. Thanks!

Originally Posted by High Technology
When speaking with a dealer last week, he asked if we were USAA members. I told him no, and he asked if we or any immediate family member was in the military. I told him my dad was like 40 years ago, and he said we would qualify as long as he was still alive and willing to make a phone call. He went on to say that there is a $6,000 incentive for June on all GLs from USAA - no purchase from USAA or any other cost required.

Being skeptical of actually qualifying for the USAA incentive, I negotiated a deal with the $2k conquest for $64,325 for a $71,825 MSRP (Palladium with P1, lighting, blind spot, parktronic, RES prep, heated wheel, running boards and trailer hitch). Seeing how others were quoting up to 11% off back a month or two ago, I figured getting $7500 off was a very good deal. Since I was leasing I also opted for the $805 3/30 maintenance, since it would only cost me 35% of that amount during the lease (since MB Finance residualizes the maintenance program -- this is why they advertise it as $10/mo -- most of it goes back into the lease end residual). Lease payment was in the low $720s (27mo., 15k miles/year with $5k total at delivery).

So that evening, I called my dad and asked him to call USAA and inquire since it was another $4k discount. They told him that he qualified, and thus I qualified. He got both of us USAA ID numbers, and I went on line and confirmed the $6,000 incentive under their auto purchase program.

I emailed the dealer the USAA certificate the next morning and he responded that he reran the lease numbers with the $6k USAA instead of the $2k Conquest and the new lease payment knocked my socks off: $568/mo for 27 months, 15k miles per year, total of $5,000 at delivery which includes all taxes since NY requires them paid in full up front. Again, this payment includes the 3/30 maintenance. This is about $150/month less per month!

USAA does check their facts -- before giving me a "control number" for the incentive (limited to one per calendar year per member), my dad had to call in again and verify his military experience. All that took him a 5 minute phone call, and then another 5 minute phone call for me to give them the dealer's name / fax number so they could fax a member verification number and the control number directly to the dealer.

I have a finance background, and checked the lease numbers which confirmed I paid $60,325 for a $71,825 MSRP car, a discount of $11,500 plus another $805 for the maintenance. The June lease special is 27 months for a 0.00116 money factor (.00126 if you don't do auto pay), and 65% residual for 15k miles/year. For those who drive fewer miles, I think the residual for 10k miles is 68% and for 12k miles it is 67% for June.

For anyone in the NY metro area, I'd happily recommend my salesperson (you can email me through this forum), as he even swapped with another dealer to get the color combination / options we wanted. It was the easiest car deal I've ever done, and definitely the biggest savings off MSRP I've ever gotten. For the record, I have no financial interest in recommending him; there are no referral bonuses, kickbacks, etc. -- I am just a big believer in paying it forward. We went to 4 dealers, none of who had Palladium/black with the lighting package and everyone wanted us to take something off their lot if we wanted a good price. And I actually did this whole deal via phone -- I didn't meet the salesperson face-to-face until this morning when we picked up the car.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

btw...what dealership is that ? I bought my car at MB of Manhattan and they were the best in NY at that time.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Sounds like very good deal.
One small correction : NY does not require taxes upfront. You can include it in payment and actually this is the right way to do when you leasing.
We're both correct -- NY DMV collects the full amount of sales taxes on the total lease payments when the car is registered. So technically they are required up front (this contrasts to states like where the leasing company remits the taxes monthly to the state as you make each payment).

You are correct, you can capitalize the taxes into the lease, but that is basically just taking a loan out for that amount. Although there may be a separate line item on the leasing contract, it's really the same thing as a taking a bigger loan and thus costs interest.

So in NY, a $500 lease payment for 27 months with an 8% sales tax rate would require $1080 at inception to pay the taxes. This could get rolled into the lease, but the payment would be more than $40 per month higher to account for the interest (admittedly, it might only be $1 - $2 per month).

In a state where taxes are remitted monthly, the payment would be $540.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by DBV
That sounds like a great deal! I wonder if the same $11,500 can be used to purchase the car or if it is only on a lease?

We have been looking trading in our 08 GL320, because resale value is very high and we have a little over 50,000 miles on our car. We were looking at ML Diesel and BMW X5 Diesel. But, if we can get a GL for $11,500 of, that would probably be a no brainer. Thanks!
Yes, buy or lease, the pricing is the same.

Note if you have a current MBUSA loan (not lease), in May they offered 1.99% for up to 60 months -- don't know if that carried over to June. I know because I have 3 more payments left on my 2006 E500.

The $6k applies equally to the 350, but the negotiations won't likely be as good as the dealers have fewer of the diesels in inventory. USAA offers pre-negotiated pricing which is $1,000 over invoice for the diesel and $500 over invoice for the 450. Then the $6k comes off that so the final pricing is $5k under invoice for the diesel and $5.5k under invoice for the 450.

I negotiated a little better deal than this on my own before knowing the USAA incentive would apply -- so you can negotiate a price and then apply the $6k.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
14 GL 350, 23Chevy Bolt EV and 22 EUV
I reviewed the USAA Web site, since I wanted to clarify if any discount was available to non-military personal.
The site indicated that non military people may join USAA and benefit from investment products, shopping, and discounts, but not auto and property insurance benefits.
So it appears that the Mercedes discount should apply to military and non military USAA Members...
Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 E350 4M
Originally Posted by captivabenz
I reviewed the USAA Web site, since I wanted to clarify if any discount was available to non-military personal.
The site indicated that non military people may join USAA and benefit from investment products, shopping, and discounts, but not auto and property insurance benefits.
So it appears that the Mercedes discount should apply to military and non military USAA Members...

The discount will not apply to non military. When I bought my11 E350 another couple joined USAA (non military) for the purpose of getting the deal. MB told them they still didn't qualify for the discount because they were non military.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 ML350 Blueteck (Sold); 2014 E350 Wagon, Sport, Indigo Blue (Sold); 2021 GLC300, 2022 BMW X5
"Non-military" can get the usaa incentive if you are eligible. How can you be eligible, well through being active duty military, honorably discharged military, being an eligible dependent of one that joins, or inheriting membership through an eligible member (which will eventually track back to military service even if it is through layers of people). I'm sure their site says it better.

But I got the discount and I have not served, though I had to purchase auto or property insurance once linked to someone who is a fully eligible member (via military service). So I was lucky to inherit membership. But yes they do lock that perk of USAA membership to only certain people. There are other incentives, etc that people can get with mercedes (like the conquest cash).

Also even though I had a control number from USAA for the discount, I had to have my blue USAA membership card on me b/c my auto insurance card has the name Garrison on it with only a brief mention of USAA. The dealer needed that along with the form with the control number.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
A bit of advice using the USAA discount....
Don't use the USAA car buying service. Instead, call USAA and ask them to e-mail you the discount certificate; you are allotted one per year. Print it and take it with you to a dealership that participate in this USAA deal. Make the deal first with a firm price and then whip out the $6,000 USAA discount when you are sitting down with the finance dude. This certificate is as good as cash so it shouldn't be used as a negotiation tool, though the dealerships will make you think so. If you are some what saavy, you can beat the USAA auto buying service's price!
I thought about buying another GL with this tempting $6,000 certificate, but my wife and I couldn't resist the new Infiniti QX; best SUV we've ever owned, IMO! Maybe in a few years, we might return to the GL. Hopefully by then, MB will get their act together and get with the times (ie. navi and other tech features).

Last edited by luv2sleep; 06-19-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:26 PM

2011 GL 350-Lighting Pkg-P2-Parktronic-Blind spot assist-Heated everything-Running brds ,etc
Just curious... can someone ask a friend who is a USAA member to 'buy' it with the discount and then immediately 'sell' it to me the same day?

No, I am not trying to buy anything, since I just got my 2011 350, but was curious about how the system worked.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by giffie
Just curious... can someone ask a friend who is a USAA member to 'buy' it with the discount and then immediately 'sell' it to me the same day?

No, I am not trying to buy anything, since I just got my 2011 350, but was curious about how the system worked.
It does not make any financial sense after you pay sales tax twice.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by luv2sleep
A bit of advice using the USAA discount....
Don't use the USAA car buying service. Instead, call USAA and ask them to e-mail you the discount certificate; you are allotted one per year. Print it and take it with you to a dealership that participate in this USAA deal. Make the deal first with a firm price and then whip out the $6,000 USAA discount when you are sitting down with the finance dude. This certificate is as good as cash so it shouldn't be used as a negotiation tool, though the dealerships will make you think so.
Excellent advice. Note, though, that not every dealership participates in the USAA rebate deal - it's effectively a fleet incentive with MBUSA.

If you are some what saavy, you can beat the USAA auto buying service's price!
Easily. By a lot. It took me 30 seconds to fire off an email to a dealership that netted me a 10.5% discount, with the USAA rebate on top of that.

For the record, that's about $2K under what the USAA buying service price was BEFORE the USAA rebate.

- Mark
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Does anyone know if the 6K USAA discount on the GL is still good in July and August?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 AM

2011 ML350 Blueteck (Sold); 2014 E350 Wagon, Sport, Indigo Blue (Sold); 2021 GLC300, 2022 BMW X5
I just looked at the usaa car buying site and it put that incentive there for my user for July. And when initially going to the car buying service page there was this note:

Limited time offer: Get an additional $1,000-$3,000 off 2011 Mercedes-Benz® ML, S and GL-Class vehicles from June 1 – Aug. 31

So sounds like it is through the end of August but that is my interpretation. Dealer will know for sure.

I think the conquest cash is the same value currently (but you can't combine the 2 offers). So that is another route to similar amount off currently.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
dminahan,

Thanks for the info. How do you get to that page? Do you pick the model and the dealers and click send/submit? I have not seen the rebate amounts yet because I don't go
past the buying service's submit button as I am not quite ready to shop yet.

I am not eligible for conquest cash. I will be visiting the dealer(s) in a few weeks as my current SUV lease runs out in September. I hope I qualify for the USAA discount. I do not have any military connection, but according to the USAA web site you don't seem to need it for this benefit. Mercedes might disagree. The USAA discount would be the only way to get this car for me, otherwise I will go with a less expensive brand.
I hope MB puts a lease special on the diesel GL 350 as they are currently only having special lease incentives on the 450 and 550. These amount to residuals that are a few points higher. Actually, there is a 50% chance I would buy the car at the end of the lease, so I would prefer a low money factor or some additional lease cash rebate instead.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 PM

If you talk to USAA you will find out that you need to be able to be eligible for full membership with USAA in order to get the fleet discount basically. So path is through an active military or honorably discharged former military or any relative that is a full member.

So I see it on the car buying service pages because I am a full member (through a relative). Anyone can join usaa and get some of their products and services but only fully eligible members can get all of their services. If the discount doesn't show up on your membership then you can't get the for with the control number for the dealer to get reimbursed for the fleet discount. On top of that I had a control number but on purchase day you have to show either car insurance card or blue membership card and my dealer couldn't take my insurance card because it said Garrison on it and not USAA. But I had my blue membership card and they knew I had USAA car insurance.

I did notice they changed the list of makes on the conquest cash and added volvo, not sure if they added anymore.

I thought at times they had dealer incentives to move vehicles but I am unsure when that kicks in and if that will happen by the time your lease is up. Others may be able to comment on if that happens, timeline, etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Oh and I know i had read before about how dealers get x number of employee discount control numbers they can use per month to give higher % off of vehicle to a customer. So maybe someone can explain that to see if that is a route for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 607 Likes on 515 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by dminahan
If you talk to USAA you will find out that you need to be able to be eligible for full membership with USAA in order to get the fleet discount basically. So path is through an active military or honorably discharged former military or any relative that is a full member.

So I see it on the car buying service pages because I am a full member (through a relative). Anyone can join usaa and get some of their products and services but only fully eligible members can get all of their services. If the discount doesn't show up on your membership then you can't get the for with the control number for the dealer to get reimbursed for the fleet discount. On top of that I had a control number but on purchase day you have to show either car insurance card or blue membership card and my dealer couldn't take my insurance card because it said Garrison on it and not USAA. But I had my blue membership card and they knew I had USAA car insurance.

I did notice they changed the list of makes on the conquest cash and added volvo, not sure if they added anymore.

I thought at times they had dealer incentives to move vehicles but I am unsure when that kicks in and if that will happen by the time your lease is up. Others may be able to comment on if that happens, timeline, etc.
Do I understand correctly that even though you had a valid control number, issued by USAA, the dealer still wanted to see "proof" of membership? That sounds to me like a weak ploy to cheat you out of the discount. I'd tell USAA about this.

BREAK BREAK

For all of you who are wondering how to become full USAA members -
The criteria area clear, and posted on their website. If you meet them, good on you. If you do not, please refrain from creative (and in some cases) fraudulent methods of attaining membership just to get this discount.
It's just a discount, one you can achieve yourself with hard nosed bargaining.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Yes you understood correctly on what they asked for but I didn't feel they were trying to cheat me. The need for that proof is out on other dealer's sites under the USAA discount information as well. Apparently the dealer needed it to make sure they get the money reimbursed to them. Maybe it is due to fraud. But no I did not feel they were trying to make more profit but who knows.

Apparently USAA also will not automatically generate a control number for a brand new members either. If you recently joined you can see the discount but have to call them to get a control number assigned.

I joined through a legitimate path. Fully agree you can get similar amounts off if you spend the time haggling.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 PM

I joined through a legitimate path. Fully agree you can get similar amounts off if you spend the time haggling.
I disagree - the USAA funds are a fleet discount from MBUSA. They are in addition to any haggling you can manage from your dealer because the money doesn't come out of their pocket.

This is a great deal ON TOP of whatever great deal you can arrange for yourself. Put another day, you don't need to tell the dealership you qualify for the USAA discount until you're about to sign the paper because the deal is additive.

- Mark

Last edited by mdadgar; 07-22-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 AM

Completely agree with you, yes getting the USAA incentive is on top of whatever really good deal you can negotiate (thought it cannot be combined with some other incentives, like conquest cash). Never meant to imply otherwise.

Regarding the proof part, in that instance the dealer needed the proof at the time of sale to make sure they got their money. The dealer submits the form to get the money or that was their claim. You do not need to bring up USAA ahead of time. However, don't be shocked if you do have that form with a control number that they ask for either a car insurance card that says USAA as the insurance company (not just USAA on the bottom) or for the blue membership card. I saw multiple dealerships list that as something they would require under the information they had posted regarding the USAA discount. Do they all do that, I have no idea.

What I did find was a couple dealerships brought up USAA from the start, were pushing it as the negotiation avenue.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:38 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Thanks again for the information.

By the way, I would not want to cheat the system. If I qualify - great, if not - I consider my other car options. I think this is great that the people who served in the military get these perks from various car manufacturers. The reason that Mercedes uses USAA membership as a requirement is that it is probably easier for them to check USAA membership than to have to verify the military service record directly.

Since the USAA discount is so high right now, I really want to understand -- if I am not related to anyone who served but I personally know some people who did, is it possible for me to qualify? Assuming they are already USAA members or can join on-line, can they then simply refer me for "full" membership and that would make me eligible for the fleet discount?
Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM

What I did find was a couple dealerships brought up USAA from the start, were pushing it as the negotiation avenue.
I had a couple dealerships try that. I just laughed.

- Mark
Old 09-01-2011, 03:28 AM

99 SLK 230 - US Model
Originally Posted by mdadgar
I disagree - the USAA funds are a fleet discount from MBUSA. They are in addition to any haggling you can manage from your dealer because the money doesn't come out of their pocket.

This is a great deal ON TOP of whatever great deal you can arrange for yourself. Put another day, you don't need to tell the dealership you qualify for the USAA discount until you're about to sign the paper because the deal is additive.

- Mark
I just checked the USAA web site and the discount for a new E class is ~$4K. I want to do a European Delivery (which is a 7% discount off MSRP) and was wondering if I can use the USAA discount for a European Delivery deal. Would I get 7% plus ~$4K off MSRP?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: USAA Incentive + Good Lease Rates for June = Great Deal