GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Screaming tire noise ! Anyone Else ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011 | 11:27 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
Angry Screaming tire noise ! Anyone Else ?

15k on our '11 GL450, and the OE Pirelli Scorpions are screaming their way down the highway. Didnt have this problem on our '08 GL.

The outer tread blocks on all four tires have become scallopped, and they sound like snow tires or off-road tires... tires are only worn to 6/32 depth.

No cure for it except to replace tires and re-align.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, was it attributed to:

1. alignment? Caster, camber or toe-in ?

2. suspension compliance? Softness of bushings, or factory geometry?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2011 | 01:55 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 201mph
15k on our '11 GL450, and the OE Pirelli Scorpions are screaming their way down the highway. Didnt have this problem on our '08 GL.

The outer tread blocks on all four tires have become scallopped, and they sound like snow tires or off-road tires... tires are only worn to 6/32 depth.

No cure for it except to replace tires and re-align.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, was it attributed to:

1. alignment? Caster, camber or toe-in ?

2. suspension compliance? Softness of bushings, or factory geometry?

Thanks.
do not try to solve non-existent problems.

if all four tires are cupped on the outside it is how you drive, or your psi is incorrect.

if i was you i would check tire pressure (32 on all four for 19" - do not overinflate the rears- this is only if fully loaded). if pressure is good, remount tires so cupped side is inside and have the alignment checked. caster, camber and toe-in are all interrelated so if one is off, the others will be off too.

also, obvious, but worth mentioning- do not drive in the raised suspension position.

my vote goes for how you drive though... this is a big truck- do not take corners fast... or you can- but it will cost you.
Old 07-01-2011 | 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Only managed to get 19K miles out of the Pirellis before I had to replace them due to excessive road noise. They had tread still above the wear indicators. No weird tread wear however. Agree you need to have the alignment checked and if you don't do this already, make sure to check the psi at least monthly.
Bish
Old 07-04-2011 | 11:23 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
Thanks Bish... when I pressed the dealer service mgr, he admitted that yours and my complaint is not uncommon.

I suspect that the factory suspension bushings are on the soft side... under braking or cornering, they can deflect enough that the alignment is compromised and uneven tire wear can result. The "screaming" noise occurs as the uneven tread edges catch the air at speed... i.e. snow tires do this from new.

Alx.. if the problem were non-existant, I wouldnt be asking. You'll find that on many cars, static caster, camber and toe are all set independently. Agreed that frequent check of air pressure and alignment are a good idea... improves ride, handling, and tire life.