GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

CLS has a new garage mate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450 CLS500
CLS has a new garage mate

Last week I picked up an almost new (1550 km) 2010 GL450 for a replacement for the Land Rover LR3. After driving the GL for a week there is obviously no comparison to the LR3.

I wasn't really looking for another black vehicle but I guess it makes for a decent set of Obsidian black MB vehicles in the garage. Surprisingly of all the vehicles I have owned over the years this is the first one that I have bought with a light colored interior. The more I drive it the more I like the two tone black and cashmere with the Dark Ash trim.

The only things that I don't like so far are the stock 19 wheels which are an easy fix and the rear view camera. The camera is awesome but what bugs me is how long it takes to come when you are ready to go. You can't just jump in and turn the key and go because you have to wait for the Nav warning message to clear.
And much the same as my CLS the door lock knobs on the doors have to be the cheapest looking pieces of crap. Cannot understand why they do that as it something that is really visible

A few thoughts on some accessories that I have bought so far.

WeatherTech mats - they look like they will do a good job but for the price the fit is mediocre.

CanvasBack cargo mat - as you can see the picture the fit is real good. It still has a few rinkles as I was in a bit of a hurry to put in on. I noticed with the LR3 that the part of the cargo bay that looked the most beat up was the sides. The Canvasback should do a good job of protecting the sides. Seems to be good value for the money.

Chrome door handle inserts - expensive for what you get but the wife can't seem to not open the door with out scratching the paint (experience with the CLS)

Here's a few pics.

Last edited by ObssedOne; 09-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM

08 E63, 07 RS4, 04 GT3, 10 LR4, 02 Pajero
Congrgrats, GLs are very nice. Engine, braking, handling, interior and space are superior to the LR3. They improved the first four for the LR4 but for moving 7 people in comfort a GL is hard to beat. I was deciding between the GL and LR4 for the other half and it was a close call with no wrong decision in my opinion.

What do you not like about the wheels? The style? I like them. I wish our SUV had come with 17 inch tires or 18 inch but with the size of the brakes 19s are the only thing that will fit.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
Originally Posted by ObssedOne
The camera is awesome but what bugs me is how long it takes to come when you are ready to go.
It's ridiculous. I'm done backing out of my spot before the camera ever actually comes on. About 1 time in 10 it works the way it's supposed to. This is a simple software fix, yet they haven't patched it yet.

And much the same as my CLS the door lock knobs on the doors have to be the cheapest looking pieces of crap. Cannot understand why they do that as it something that is really visible
They clunk too much when they lock/unlock, too. Very un-Mercedes like.

Otherwise, awesome vehicle.

- Mark
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
how much were the canvasbacks. I have been looking for something just like that.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM

GL450 CLS500
The Canvasback was $159 plus shipping.

http://stores.canvasback.com/-strse-...011/Detail.bok
Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 PM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Thanks. I found the site shortly after posting. I think I am going to place an order for the black one. I have the special order Black/Cashmere interior.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:24 AM

11 GL350 BT | 11 E350 Estate
Congrats on a beautiful GL, ObssedOne and a nice garagemate as well. I agree with all your assessment about some of the shortcomings of the GL, especially the part of about wifey scratching paint behind door handles. I too put on the chrome inserts almost immediately. Also, there's nothing uglier in all MB's than the black plastic door lock pins that they use. Absolutely hideous and I replaced them with AMG brushed aluminum pins. Look a thousand times better. I'm sure most people don't notice these things but I do .

Hey I really like the canvasback cargo cover. I might just find a solution to my problems because with the cargo liner I use currently, it's hard to use the 3rd row seats. With the canvasback it looks like a perfect solution to protecting the rear carpet while you can use the rear seats without having to roll up the mat. And the high sides are great for protecting from scuffs. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
The Canvasback was $159 plus shipping.

http://stores.canvasback.com/-strse-...011/Detail.bok
Thanks for the link. I just ordered one with back hatch. I have the stock 20" rims on my GL320 and it fills the wheel well better than the 19" or 18" stockers.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
GL 320, 993TT, BMW 550XI
A bit of feedback on the canvas back product as I just got mine and installed it this past weekend. The cut is not exact and a bit bigger than actual pieces in our cars and the velcro is stitched right on the edge of the pieces and can make it difficult to firmly velcro to the cargo liner.

This would be a better product if they stitch a wider velcro and about 1/4" to 1/2" inside the actual trip pieces. I don't like the velcro overhang scratching up the leather seats or surrounding trim.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Audi S5, GL350, Audi A4
Last week I picked up an almost new (1550 km) 2010 GL450 for a replacement for the Land Rover LR3. After driving the GL for a week there is obviously no comparison to the LR3.

I also just upgraded to the GL from an LR3. While the GL is better in almost every respect, the Land Rover is far superior in off road situations. Since I don't go off road much, the GL is more suitable.

I went with the Bluetec deisel and am happy to report I am getting about 23mpg combined so far. If Land Rover offered a deisel, I might have considered it, but I can't justify driving another vehicle with such horrible mileage. I believe every SUV should be a deisel since the power is quite adequate and the significantly better fuel consumption just makes so much sense.