GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Question re: snow tires, rims and TPMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 450
Question re: snow tires, rims and TPMS

I drive from Maryland to Stowe, Vermont in the winter once a year during the Holiday's. I'd like to put snow tires on a set of rims with TPMS. The drive is 500mi in each direction. I'm not there long enough to justify keeping them there and changing them out when I'm onsite. I just purchased my GL and it has a new set of Cont's.

Do I get a good set of all-seasons? Invest in a set of rims and snow tires? Will the snow tires fare the 400mi of highway in each direction?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by pcjackson06
I drive from Maryland to Stowe, Vermont in the winter once a year during the Holiday's. I'd like to put snow tires on a set of rims with TPMS. The drive is 500mi in each direction. I'm not there long enough to justify keeping them there and changing them out when I'm onsite. I just purchased my GL and it has a new set of Cont's.

Do I get a good set of all-seasons? Invest in a set of rims and snow tires? Will the snow tires fare the 400mi of highway in each direction?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
You don't say where you live - but assuming you are 500 miles from Vermont....you must be in an area where it snows in the winter? If so - get some A/S tires on that thing if you don't already! Summer tires turn this thing into a sled. I have 18" wheels with Blizzacks for winter in Minnesota - and I love them! On the 19" wheels, I currently have Toyo A/S's But the Blizzacks are sick good in the snow - so I prefer to use them all winter. I assume you are also driving all highway miles? So a std A/S should suffice. But if you are in a snow area all winter - get some Blizzacks on 18" rims from Tire Rack - they can send them with the tires balanced on the new wheels, just have a local shop pop them on. Good Luck!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Here is a link to the thread about snow tires, etc. It includes a picture of my truck with the Blizzacks and wheels I got from www.tirerack.com

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-headache.html