GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Tire Roundup-19" Headache

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Tire Roundup-19" Headache

Hey guys (and any ladies)...i've just turned 18k on my 07 GL320...came with 19" Pirelli Scorpions which have been warped (cupped, i guess) since about 12k miles and making warbling noises like crazy...i have HATED these tires in an otherwise incredibly luxurious machine.

I've always defaulted to Michelins, but after attempting to gather everyone's opinion from past posts here, there seems to be NO CONCENSUS on which of the only four available tires is best. Tire Rack reviews are the same. Every tire (Michelin, Continental, Dunlap and Pirelli) all got mixed good and bad reviews, some (good and bad) for tread life and some (good and bad) for noise.

I'd like a tire that lasts at least 20,000 and is as quiet and smooth as possible (purchasing the 18's at this point is not in the cards)...any recent experience out there that would offer any decisive opinions?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 PM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
I have 20K on my OEM Conti 19" on my GL 450 and there is probably another 15K-20K tread left in them. And many of those miles include driving to Lake Tahoe on the cratered concrete washboard they call California's Interstate 80 esp between Auburn and Tahoe . They remain whisper quiet on smooth surfaced roads-i.e. as soon as you cross the stateline into Nevada towards Reno .
I keep them inflated to 32 F and 38 rear , monitor it religiously and adjust them for ambient temp and altitude for perfectly even wear , using electronic air gauge that reads to 1/10 PSI and tire tread depth gauge measurements across each tires width . I found that any lower pressure in the rear and they will roll on quite a bit of the sidewall with a full load .
I believe most people who wear out these tires in 15-20K on their GLs don't follow these basic Car Care 101 principles, including checking alignment often if you hit a lot of potholes .

Last edited by MKW; 06-07-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 AM

BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
tire round-up 19" headache

I share your pain carpersn. The conti's which came on my GL 320 started cupping at about 12K miles and I have suffered through to 28K miles with noise and buffeting. The Pirelli's have been bashed in many reviews and the Michelin's have mixed reviews and are quit expensive. I rolled the dice and ordered the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, though the tirerack reviews were all over the place with this tire as well. Should have them mounted next week and will report back, though the jury will be out until I put some real miles on them.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by carpersn
I'd like a tire that lasts at least 20,000 and is as quiet and smooth as possible (purchasing the 18's at this point is not in the cards)...any recent experience out there that would offer any decisive opinions?
First off, you're going to have enough trouble having 19's when it comes to actually finding tires. In point of fact, I put four Michelin Cross Terrains on my baby in the 18" model. Three of them were replaced very closely to each other under road hazard warranty (loved the price), but when the fourth wore out before what was supposed to be my trip to Las Vegas with the GL (see this thread about why that didn't happen) I ended up getting it replaced in Ontario, California with a Cross Terrain that been picked up somewhere 25 miles or so away the day before, because it was the only one that anyone had.

Now, that said, the 18" Cross Terrain lasted probably 25,000 miles before it was too worn to road-force balance (the main reason I wanted to replace it). I'm over 60,000 on the truck now and I'm pretty sure I was at about 35,000 when I did replace the original ones, the Michelin Latitude Tour HP. This was a performance tire and was pretty worn out by 35,000 miles, probably well beyond what it should've been.

According to a couple of different tire sources (I was desperate), if I had 20" rims on it, they'd be easier to find. My point, I guess, is that your smallest headache might be not whether you can find tires that'll last, but finding tires at all. At least, without having to special-order them.

On a final note, though they rate poorly on rolling resistance, the Nitto Dura Grappler supposedly has great treadwear.

STP
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I think what you are finding through searching the forums, etc. is as you said there are four tires for the 19" wheels, and none of them are compelling versus the other.

I'm on my second set of Conti's, they are ok. I've loved Michelin Cross Terrains on pervious vehicles, but alas they aren't available on our 19" wheels.

I'd do was Steve suggests....find some in stock and get the best deal you can find. Two fo the four are not great northern tires, but in NC you are probably safe.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM

08 GL320
I am also in NC. The Michelin's ride smoother and are quieter than the Continentals. I don't see much difference in the tread patterns but Tire Rack has higher winter numbers for the Continentals(They pretty much say don't use the Michelins for snow or ice). My wife drives to Winston-Salem a couple times per week so I bought the Contis for winter and use the Michelins for summer. How much snow and Ice do you have in your area? I would go with the Continentals for best all weather use, Michelins for ride and feel.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
STP is right in that there are not a whole lot of options for the 19 inch wheels. I got about 25,000 out of my original Continentals. They still had tread left but were becoming noisy (or at least by my standards). I put on the Dunlop SportMax's and have been real happy so far. They are a summer tire so take that into account (not an issue with me since I am a desert dweller). The TireRack ratings for all of the available options are all over the place. My big thing was a quieter tire and they are definitely quieter than the Continentals. I have about 4,000 miles on the Dunlop's so far.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I started with the Conti's and switched to the Dunlop's and have been very happy with the Dunlop's. So far, I have around 20K on the Dunlop's and they are still very quiet and have great grip. I will purchase the Dunlop's again if I stay with the 19" rims.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
MKW

08 GL450
Any new tire in the same size/load rating/usage category will be quieter than what you've just replaced that has worn down , even the same exact model tire .
Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
My OEM Contis are about down to the wear bars after 20K miles and I'm going to replace them soon.

Still just the four tyre options per the Tirerack website, so wanted to know from those of you with the Dunlops, Michelins and Pirellis what your thoughts were after a few more months with them on the GL versus the OEM Conti.

TIA,
Bish
Old 09-23-2009, 01:58 PM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
Originally Posted by thebishman
My OEM Contis are about down to the wear bars after 20K miles and I'm going to replace them soon.

Still just the four tyre options per the Tirerack website, so wanted to know from those of you with the Dunlops, Michelins and Pirellis what your thoughts were after a few more months with them on the GL versus the OEM Conti.

TIA,
Bish
I just got the Pirellis Assimetrico (hopefully spelled it right). Three months thus far. Awesome tire, smooth, and handles well. Have not tried it in the rain or snow yet.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 PM
MKW

08 GL450
All tires that meet the GL's load rating specs and be rated all season for ski-resort use in the snow will be compromised and some noise will be result if you are used to driving an LS460.

Nothing you can do about massive truck -sized tires in massive echo chamber wheel wells on a raised road-noise reflecting platform -it's an SUV.

The inconsistent Tire Rack ratings prove this point.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
yes, the 275/55/19 tire choice is limited and none are really good in the snow.

however, there is a new tire... the tirerack does not carry it, but it can be found elsewhere...

275/55-19 HANKOOK VENTUS AS RH07 H

just another choice which i prefer on the gl given its practical (non-sporty) scope... i think that the hankook is an excellent alternative to the high-dollar aggressive dry/rain tires like the diamaris and the pzeros...

alex
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by alx
yes, the 275/55/19 tire choice is limited and none are really good in the snow.

however, there is a new tire... the tirerack does not carry it, but it can be found elsewhere...

275/55-19 HANKOOK VENTUS AS RH07 H

just another choice which i prefer on the gl given its practical (non-sporty) scope... i think that the hankook is an excellent alternative to the high-dollar aggressive dry/rain tires like the diamaris and the pzeros...

alex
From a safety standpoint, be sure any non-MBZ spec tire has " 111 " or higher tire sidewall load index , otherwise if you have a catastrophic tire failure carrying a max load of people /luggage in 115 degree weather heading to Vegas from LA, you could be out of luck getting MBZ to cover any damage to the suspension.

Last edited by MKW; 09-23-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmmm.. very interesting...

that particular size of hankooks have 107 or so...

where did you get the 111 load rating requirement?

this might be a problem...

alex
Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Originally Posted by alx
hmmm.. very interesting...

that particular size of hankooks have 107 or so...

where did you get the 111 load rating requirement?

this might be a problem...

alex

all the oem tires in 19" approved by MBZ, whether all-season or summer only , have a load index of 111.

Go to tirerack.com- enter car model and it gives you all the tires they sell in the GL's different diameter's , incl which ones are " OEM" fitment
Notice that the OEM 19" all-seasons for the GL have "MO" in the sidewall lettering it stands for " Mercedes OEM " - which means it's built just for the GL to MBZ's tread compound and sidewall construction specs .There are other MBZs models - usually the high performance or high load ones with similar " MO " versions that are different from the same exact tire brand and size that the manuf makes for " generic " use. Porsche has done that for decades with their N0,N1,N2 etc designations on all tires fit OEM, as have BMW and Audi on some of their models .

Last edited by MKW; 09-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:46 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
all the oem tires in 19" approved by MBZ, whether all-season or summer only , have a load index of 111.

Go to tirerack.com- enter car model and it gives you all the tires they sell in the GL's different diameter's , incl which ones are " OEM" fitment
Notice that the OEM 19" all-seasons for the GL have "MO" in the sidewall lettering it stands for " Mercedes OEM " - which means it's built just for the GL to MBZ's tread compound and sidewall construction specs .There are other MBZs models - usually the high performance or high load ones with similar " MO " versions that are different from the same exact tire brand and size that the manuf makes for " generic " use. Porsche has done that for decades with their N0,N1,N2 etc designations on all tires fit OEM, as have BMW and Audi on some of their models .
i understand where you come from. however, those tires are also approved as you said for bmw, audi and porsche. my question is - do you have any factual source saying that 111 is the minimum index on the gl tires or you are deducting this from what is offered as oem equipment on the truck?

your "111" point is something definitely worth investigating though...

*update* - i just talked to the tirerack folks.. they stated that if the oem has a load index of 111 then this is the lowest index that is allowed for this vehicle. there is no "safety fluff".... so.. the hankooks are unsuitable at 107

however, the hankook ventus rh07 in 255/55/19 is rated at 111, so maybe this will work ... especially in the white stuff... where narrower is better...

alex

Last edited by alx; 09-24-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM
MKW

08 GL450
One other point re sites such as Tirerack where buyers give subjective ratings and then are ranked ...when you look at the GL OEM Conti or Pirelli all-season tires, remember that the rankings are for the " generic " versions of the tires as owned by people with all sorts of vehicles /sizes . The " MO " spec tire just for the GL may have different tread compound and sidewall construction that was custom tuned by MBZ's chassis and NVH engrs working with Conti, Pirelli, etc to work with the susp /sound control/ weight pkg of this vehicle, so categories like noise, wet and dry handling, snow performance , etc may be very different for the
" MO " tire from what you see on these comparo tables .
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
MKW and ALX,

Thank you for your input; it's greatly appreciated.

I own/have owned a succession of very high performance cars, and want the 'best' tyre for my wife's GL. Normally for a street tyre I gravitate towards a tyre such as the Michelin PS2 or Pirelli P-Zero when I'm buying a tyre for a car. Obviously I would not buy those tyres for the GL even if they were available, as they aren't suitable. My point is that I never take the 'cheap' route when it comes to buying tyres, and in fact will gladly trade longevity for performance.

'Performance' for the GL to me means excellent dry, wet and light snow traction/handling; low(ish) noise; comfortable ride, etc. We get minimal amounts of snow here, and if we do get 4"-6" of snow it's gone quickly; hence dry and wet handling is more important for me than severe winter weather abilities.

Any thoughts now on which tyre to choose from on the Tirerack site? I am leaning towards the Michelin or Pirelli at this time.

Bish
Old 09-26-2009, 02:50 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I hate to repeat myself but, The 19" Conti's that came on my GL, now have 37.5K. The wear indicators are not showing, the noise level has changed very little, and they seemed to handle the recent rainy weather well. My wife drives it daily and she is thrilled with their performance and longevity and will be replacing them with the same at 40K. With that said, we do drive it like an SUV and not a sports car, so YMMV.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
I hate to repeat myself but, The 19" Conti's that came on my GL, now have 37.5K. The wear indicators are not showing, the noise level has changed very little, and they seemed to handle the recent rainy weather well. My wife drives it daily and she is thrilled with their performance and longevity and will be replacing them with the same at 40K. With that said, we do drive it like an SUV and not a sports car, so YMMV.
Well ours are showing the wear bars with 19,500 miles on them and they have to be replaced to make it thru' the winter. Most of these miles are highway in nature, and the truck is my wife's; hence 'babied'.

Believe I'll try the Pirellis.

Bish
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 PM

BMW 335 Conv.; MB GL 320CDI
19" tires

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx I put on this summer have about 6500 miles and so far so good, though the crappy Conti's were still ok at this mileage.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by jongaines
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx I put on this summer have about 6500 miles and so far so good, though the crappy Conti's were still ok at this mileage.
The Dunlop's lasted 28,000 miles on my GL. They were good tires but I did not like replacing the tires every year due to the high mileage I drive. None of the 19" tires for the GL last very long and are hella expensive. I hope to get many more miles from the 22" wheels/tires I recently installed.

The 22" tires came with a 50,000 mile treadwear warranty and lifetime replacement road hazard for $650 delivered. Try doing that with the 19" tires for the GL. Mileage is down slightly but the handling is fantastic and the ride is very smooth. I went with a forged wheel so they are as light as most cast 20" wheels. A set of cast 22" wheels can really sap performance.

I will have to agree with you on the 19" Continentals. I also thought they were horrible. I swear they attracted nails and every sharp bit of road debris. It seemed I was doing flat repairs every month or so. The Conti's also pulled very hard to the right whereas the Dunlop's did not pull.

Last edited by BlownV8; 10-11-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Wanted to give a brief update:

I had the Pirellis installed last week after the Continentals were basically worn out at 19,500 miles. The contrast is major. The Pirellis are much quieter and give the vehicle a more composed ride, (more comfortable and less harshness noted over road imperfections, etc.).

I am very happy with the purchase of these, especially since I was able to buy them from the Tirerack for $187 per tyre as they were on sale.

Highly recommended so far.

Bish
Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Any new tire in the same size/load rating/usage category will be quieter than what you've just replaced that has worn down, even the same exact model tire.

Only way to really compare tires is same-day/same-place testing of new versions of each.

But, I agree, new tires are nicer than old tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Roundup-19" Headache