GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

winter oil weight??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Purple Mini cooper S conv, RRS 2008 gone, 2011 GL350 Palladium Silver!!!
winter oil weight??

I have a debate going on with my husband, in winter we use 0/30 winter weight oil instead of the "regular" in all of our diesel truck engines. This is the first year for my MB and being that it's a diesel he is saying that I should change it's oil to the winter weight. It's a synthetic oil and is 3x the cost, but you never have the jell problem and only if it get really cold -50 but then everything stands still. Are there any suggestions/comments on this issue?

As a side note, I just had an argument with my dealer about the "plug" for the block heater. Apparently on my spec sheet it says I have a block heater but then I have to pay another 150.00 for the plug in order to use it. As with every other vehicle that I've bought that has a block heater, you dig out the cord from somewhere and plug it in. Why would MB put in a block heater yet not include the plug to use it??? Needless to say I didn't pay for my plug but I have to get my husband to find where to attach it....
Old 11-12-2011, 04:43 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
the proper oil is mobil 1 5w40 esp for all seasons. dont get creative.

dont know about the block heater.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
Wow....you debating with your husband about the car maintenance ? ) Poor guy ...
Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
If I remember, the manual doesn't specifically state which weight to use, but I've been running the same weight (in Denver) for summer / winter for all of my short life with no problems.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 PM

2005 E320 CDI, 2007 GL 450
I'd say most of us could only be so lucky as to have such a woman.

Originally Posted by aeggroup
Wow....you debating with your husband about the car maintenance ? ) Poor guy ...
Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by honda90
I have a debate going on with my husband, in winter we use 0/30 winter weight oil instead of the "regular" in all of our diesel truck engines. This is the first year for my MB and being that it's a diesel he is saying that I should change it's oil to the winter weight. It's a synthetic oil and is 3x the cost, but you never have the jell problem and only if it get really cold -50 but then everything stands still. Are there any suggestions/comments on this issue?

As a side note, I just had an argument with my dealer about the "plug" for the block heater. Apparently on my spec sheet it says I have a block heater but then I have to pay another 150.00 for the plug in order to use it. As with every other vehicle that I've bought that has a block heater, you dig out the cord from somewhere and plug it in. Why would MB put in a block heater yet not include the plug to use it??? Needless to say I didn't pay for my plug but I have to get my husband to find where to attach it....
Unless there is something your dealer knows about for extreme cold weather environments, the ONLY oil approved by Mercedes in any publication I have seen is the Mobil 1 5W40 ESP. It is a full synthetic oil. At least that is the only oil available to anyone in North America. Check with your dealer on this point. The full synthetic oils have VERY LOW jell points.
Regarding a block heater - I've never heard that one could be had on these engines. Is it only put on if the vehicle is going to Northern BC or central Alaska? There are several members on this forum who live 'up North' and I've heard nothing that would indicate that a block heater is necessary or desirable. Again, ask your dealer to show you the exact location where the plug is so you can show it to your husband. I'll bet he can figure a way to connect power to it if, in fact, it is there.
And, to answer your question, it seems to be the height of stupidity to install a block heater as an extra cost option and then NOT provide the appropriate plug to make it work. Go to the dealer and lodge a complaint that the car didn't come with all the required pieces that you paid for - the plug in cord!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM

GL 350
Dodge does the same thing with the cord on some Cummins trucks. But its only $35. I'd like to see an option for a block heater on an MB but ?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Unless there is something your dealer knows about for extreme cold weather environments, the ONLY oil approved by Mercedes in any publication I have seen is the Mobil 1 5W40 ESP. It is a full synthetic oil. At least that is the only oil available to anyone in North America.
This is total BS. I have personally bought Elf and Pentosin oil in British Columbia, coincidentally, that meets MB 229.51 Low Ash. Dealers perpetuate the Mobil myth, but if you look in your manual, and on the underhood stickers, you can see the real spec. Mobil ESP is not by any stretch the only oil available in North America that meets the spec, there are several.

Here's a list, and some of the lighter weights you can get:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...nt_action=show

I am in Calgary, and have never had a problem with the standard oil weight. You may want to add a boost of antigel to your fuel tank if you plan to leave it out over a few nights.

As for your block heater, what year is your car? This whole added cost plug business I thought only applied to 07 and early 08? Mine came with it, my pal's 08 just a few vin numbers older did not. He had to pay for his.

Is your car a Canadian model, or did someone import it?

Last edited by Brocktoon; 11-13-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by NevadaNick
Dodge does the same thing with the cord on some Cummins trucks. But its only $35. I'd like to see an option for a block heater on an MB but ?
Ford does the same thing.

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Unless there is something your dealer knows about for extreme cold weather environments, the ONLY oil approved by Mercedes in any publication I have seen is the Mobil 1 5W40 ESP...
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
This is total BS....
I think this is a difference of phrasing. Mobil 1 is the only oil, to my knowledge, that has gone through the MB certification process to be "approved" per MB. That does not mean other oils meet / do not meet the relevant spec; they just haven't spent the money to become certified. So everyone's right and wrong.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by justthebest
Ford does the same thing.

I think this is a difference of phrasing. Mobil 1 is the only oil, to my knowledge, that has gone through the MB certification process to be "approved" per MB. That does not mean other oils meet / do not meet the relevant spec; they just haven't spent the money to become certified. So everyone's right and wrong.
No, all of the oils that carry 229.51 and appear on that list are "approved" by MB and meet the spec. That is MB's list. From the site I posted:

"We recommend using exclusively the products in the following lists that have been checked and approved by Mercedes-Benz
because:

design parts and operating fluids are tailored to one another,
damages that occur due to the usage of non-approved operating fluids are not covered by the warranty.

The approval by Mercedes-Benz is noted on the containers, for engine oils: e.g.: MB-Approval 229.51

Because the vehicles/major assemblies and operating fluids are constantly developed further, the MB BeVo are continuously updated in accordance. The current version can be found on the following pages. Thus, only the online version of the Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids released here is valid.
"

I don't know what is is about Americans and Mobil 1, they must have some pretty strong marketing down there, because almost every car forum I join, I'm invariably told that "Mobil 1 is the only approved oil", while my dealer is doing oil changes with Elf Solaris or something...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM

I'll keep with the 5/40 it's awfully close to the 030 anyway, got the block heater plug in the mail from them, now I have to find out how to install. the cord/plug itself is about 5' long and that doesn't bode well for ease of install, plus 3.5' of it is wrapped in heat resistant tape...

This is a canadian truck and I've taken it to Northern BC, as of right now it's -26 outside and heading colder....winter is finally hear, another 5 months before we begin to thaw out...

If anyone knows of an install video link pls fwd...

tks
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec, Irridium over Black Leather
This is a canadian truck and I've taken it to Northern BC, as of right now it's -26 outside and heading colder....winter is finally hear, another 5 months before we begin to thaw out...

It sounds like it would be easier to move.

- Mark, in sunny California
Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM

I'll keep with the 5/40 it's awfully close to the 030 anyway, got the block heater plug in the mail from them, now I have to find out how to install. the cord/plug itself is about 5' long and that doesn't bode well for ease of install, plus 3.5' of it is wrapped in heat resistant tape...

tks
It is pretty easy, the block heater bib is right at the front of the motor above that big protruding oil pan. The rest is routing it around to the grille.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:45 PM

Tks, it's warmed up to -22
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Only the first number has any significance as far as winter running is concerned.

Not much difference between 0W and 5W

Also, no need and not such a good idea to lower the second number, i.e. stay with 40. But it means that ALL MB-approved oils are year around oils.

I once compared all versions of Mobil 1 and ALL except 15W-50 had the SAME cold pour point, i.e. -55 degrees F IIRC. That is 0W, 5W, 10W all the same. 15W-50 was something like -45.

Get the cord for your block heater.

And finally, comparing a Mercedes diesel engine to some 'merikun iron or the like is totally irrelevant. Apples/oranges. Don't do it. It's embarassing.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:52 PM

OMG, was that plug a pain in the oilpan.....with a 1/4 turn in the location of that plug it would have been a simple 10second install, instead you have to almost climb in with small arms and struggle to get it attached. But I'm thankful it's there in the first place...today it's -32, but sunny....
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Ok, now the question we were all waiting to ask? Does the block heater make any difference in starting or does the car just get warm inside quicker?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM

having a block heater past -18 or20 makes a huge difference when starting your vehicle. At some point you won't be able to even startit without having been plugged in. Starting is very hard on your truck especially the colder it gets. The difference is like starting it at zero when its actually -20/30.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Block heater doesn't warm the fuel.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Block heater doesn't warm the fuel.
It keeps the oil warm, an that's what the crankshaft has to plow through in the pan, so yes, it does help starting, no doubt whatsoever. Also, there is some passive warming to the overall car, so it likely does keep the fuel in the lines warmer than it would be without it.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM

I don't find that my truck is very much warmer inside if I have plugged it in (and having fan on hi) but I do notice that it takes less time to bring it up to a nice temp after you start driving. The diesel trks warm up as you drive not just idling there, gas one's are much quicker.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The diesel trks warm up as you drive not just idling there, gas one's are much quicker.
Yes, this is a characteristic of all diesels.

This because gas engines always run at stoichiometric fuel/air ratio while diesels change speed because they get richer mixture. The gas engine is always running around 15/1 air to fuel, while a diesel at idle is running maybe 150/1, i.e. it's hardly burning any fuel. A warmed up diesel will actually cool down if left idling and some manufacturers, i.e. Navistar, offer computer routines to affect a high-speed idle should this occur.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:39 PM

what I think is totally amazing is the technology that it has for almost instant starting, we have many diesels and they all have the "wait to start" of the typical diesel engine. It's -35 here today I've plugged it in and went out to start and it just purred to life. My previous Range Rover was a pig, on gas and starting even when plugged in. That thing sounded like it was screaming at -35.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM

what I think is totally amazing is the technology that it has for almost instant starting, we have many diesels and they all have the "wait to start" of the typical diesel engine. It's -35 here today I've plugged it in and went out to start and it just purred to life. My previous Range Rover was a pig, on gas and starting even when plugged in. That thing sounded like it was screaming at -35.
I don't know how they do that with the push button start. I have the key, and I get glowplug lights for up to 15 seconds on mine in the morning on my GL.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM

I've read that if you use the key (in a keyless go) then you will have to wait the time, but with the keyless go you dont...all very strange

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: winter oil weight??