GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Something weird....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Something weird....

Ok, I have a question for all of you. Something totally weird happened the other day.

I was at my sons baseball practice and I was sitting in my car, engine off and keys out of the ignition sitting in the cup holder. I had the windows down and was reading a book when all of a sudden I heard a noise (thought is was the airmatic adjusting) but looked and saw the A/C REST button was lit up and air was coming out of the vents. I never use this feature and had not been running the A/C prior to turning off the car. Has anyone noticed this? It turned on about 30 mins after I had turned the car off and taken the key from the ignition. It was a weird thought to me that this might just turn on while my car is parked in the garage with no keys. It wouldn't let me turn it off until I turned on the car (ran for about 15 mins, I was seeing if it would shut off by itself) It was about 60* outside.....anyway, I am clueless.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:13 PM

2013 GL350
I have seen it happen with no one in car. I don't know the answer but admit I haven't looked in the manual either.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I noticed the same thing couple times also. Nobody was in the car and it was locked. In fact - it was not even hot outside. About 50F-60F. I think it's normal. I remember reading about this feature in the manual, but too lazy to find it again to figure out how to handle this.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by aeggroup
I noticed the same thing couple times also. Nobody was in the car and it was locked. In fact - it was not even hot outside. About 50F-60F. I think it's normal. I remember reading about this feature in the manual, but too lazy to find it again to figure out how to handle this.

Same!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...matically.html

Go down to the last post - seems like from '10 on this feature is now "automatic". I had the same question going from my '07 to '10 back in the winter when I couldn't figure out why the fan was turning on in my garage after drive it.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Yep ^ it's to prevent nastiness in the AC system on newer models.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 AM

2011 GL450
Thank you all for your replies! I am so relieved to find that this is normal After having a GL "lemon lawed" for having an electrical gremlin that left it dead all the time I was afraid there might be a problem with this GL as well I read the manual, but did not see that, just how to use the A/C rest button. Should of dug a little deeper. You guys are GREAT!! Thanks!!!

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
The good news is your new GL isn't showing any problems. I can remember your events getting through lemon laws, glad you are seeing a better experience.

The 2013 has me intrigued for my next ride.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
The good news is your new GL isn't showing any problems. I can remember your events getting through lemon laws, glad you are seeing a better experience.

The 2013 has me intrigued for my next ride.
Thanks Jim! Yes, so far (knock on wood) this GL has been amazing! Not a single issue. I don't want to deal with another lemon

2013 is beautiful! I don't blame you for being intrigued! If mine wasn't an '11 I might be looking too! Maybe by 2015
Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Smile

Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Thanks Jim! Yes, so far (knock on wood) this GL has been amazing! Not a single issue. I don't want to deal with another lemon

2013 is beautiful! I don't blame you for being intrigued! If mine wasn't an '11 I might be looking too! Maybe by 2015
Hello! I think i might have to have my 2010 GL450 listed as a lemon and finish with this car. The front suspension is acting very weird. I am having problems going through pot holes (whenever i go through one, my whole car moves, and the steering wheel bounces to the left or right, for a quick second, then back into place after i drive over the pot hole). Also, if the car is in park, and you turn the steering wheel the little bit you can, theres a banging noise coming from the front suspension.

The service team at my dealer has taken a look at it 4 times, and nothing has been fixed. I am in Michigan, and do know that every states law is different. Can you tell me how you went about this process? Does if affect me in terms of credit score or anything? Also, i do owe a little bit on the car, so how would i go about that?

Thanks!
-JChochla
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM

2011 GL450
Originally Posted by jchochla
Hello! I think i might have to have my 2010 GL450 listed as a lemon and finish with this car. The front suspension is acting very weird. I am having problems going through pot holes (whenever i go through one, my whole car moves, and the steering wheel bounces to the left or right, for a quick second, then back into place after i drive over the pot hole). Also, if the car is in park, and you turn the steering wheel the little bit you can, theres a banging noise coming from the front suspension.

The service team at my dealer has taken a look at it 4 times, and nothing has been fixed. I am in Michigan, and do know that every states law is different. Can you tell me how you went about this process? Does if affect me in terms of credit score or anything? Also, i do owe a little bit on the car, so how would i go about that?

Thanks!
-JChochla
Hi there! So sorry you are going through this! There is nothing worse than having a car that has issues. I would first research your states lemon law. For California, it was 3 occurrences in the first year or 18,000 miles. My GL had an electrical gremlin that left it dead over 7 times in the first few months of ownership. I read our states law, and then wrote a letter to MBUSA (with help from a member here) and sent the letter along with a copy of all my service invoices to MBUSA, my dealerships president and service manager. For me it was much easier than I anticipated (got a call from MBUSA within 3 days of them receiving my letter saying they would buy it back). It took almost 3 months to complete the whole process, but so very worth it. My GL at the time was a lease and I got all my money back, including down payment and every payment I made including interest. I did have a usage fee, which is calculated by mileage in California. Mine wasn't very much because my first occurrence of the dead battery was at 1100 miles. It did not affect my credit score at all. They basically paid off the vehicle and refunded all my money.

Good luck! I hope you can resolve this in a manner that pleases you!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
JChochla,

You should check out a thread from TamZ on 350 wind noise as another example of 'lemon law' GL's. If you open the forum and click on 'views' it comes up at the top non-sticky thread.

I've been on this forum for quite some time now and I think MomBenz and TamZ are the only two I've know to get lemon-lawed and both are in California.

I think you should start a thread on your situation, there are quite a few people that can provide help, encouragement, advice, etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
A new thread is a good idea. It kinda puts all the stuff related to your experiences on this one issue in one place. Makes it a lot simpler to find later. Makes a more complete story with fewer interruptions.
Be a good idea to tell us what you find out about Michigan's lemon laws also.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Originally Posted by MomsBenz
Hi there! So sorry you are going through this! There is nothing worse than having a car that has issues. I would first research your states lemon law. For California, it was 3 occurrences in the first year or 18,000 miles. My GL had an electrical gremlin that left it dead over 7 times in the first few months of ownership. I read our states law, and then wrote a letter to MBUSA (with help from a member here) and sent the letter along with a copy of all my service invoices to MBUSA, my dealerships president and service manager. For me it was much easier than I anticipated (got a call from MBUSA within 3 days of them receiving my letter saying they would buy it back). It took almost 3 months to complete the whole process, but so very worth it. My GL at the time was a lease and I got all my money back, including down payment and every payment I made including interest. I did have a usage fee, which is calculated by mileage in California. Mine wasn't very much because my first occurrence of the dead battery was at 1100 miles. It did not affect my credit score at all. They basically paid off the vehicle and refunded all my money.

Good luck! I hope you can resolve this in a manner that pleases you!
Thanks for replying MomsBenz! I am going to get all of the service records together and look up the exact lemon laws in MI. I will keep everyone updated on the situation. Have a good weekend!

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
JChochla,

You should check out a thread from TamZ on 350 wind noise as another example of 'lemon law' GL's. If you open the forum and click on 'views' it comes up at the top non-sticky thread.

I've been on this forum for quite some time now and I think MomBenz and TamZ are the only two I've know to get lemon-lawed and both are in California.

I think you should start a thread on your situation, there are quite a few people that can provide help, encouragement, advice, etc.
Hi Jim, i just found the thread, and wow, it has a lot of guidance. I will work on getting all of the paperwork together this weekend, and i will keep you posted.
Have a great weekend!