GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ESP inoperative cause?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
ESP inoperative cause?

2010 GL 450 - two-three times per day the yellow light comes on in the display stating the ESP is inoperative. With that, the cruise won't work and the shift from park to drive is rough. Dealer couldn't find problem (it didn't do it for him). Anyone have this problem? Thanks
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Your battery might be going bad.

Btw, there should be codes and freeze data logged if the ESP disengaged on its own. The dealer is pulling a quick one on you.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
I've had the ESP on mine kick off (and the cruise control with it) whenever the OEM Continental tires hydroplaned - and that was often. Changed tire brands, no more hydroplaning, ESP stayed off!
In my case though nothing happened to the shifting from park to drive though. It always worked smoothly after. There shouldn't be any connection between the shifting roughness and the false ESP engage issue. I'd suspect a bad wheel speed sensor that makes the ESP computer think one wheel is turning at a different speed than the rest. If that is really happening, the first thing the ESP is designed do is to kill the cruise function.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
I've had the ESP on mine kick off (and the cruise control with it) whenever the OEM Continental tires hydroplaned - and that was often. Changed tire brands, no more hydroplaning, ESP stayed off!
In my case though nothing happened to the shifting from park to drive though. It always worked smoothly after. There shouldn't be any connection between the shifting roughness and the false ESP engage issue. I'd suspect a bad wheel speed sensor that makes the ESP computer think one wheel is turning at a different speed than the rest. If that is really happening, the first thing the ESP is designed do is to kill the cruise function.
A bad wheel sensor will throw a code. If the dealer read the truck and did not notice it - something is fishy.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Originally Posted by alx
A bad wheel sensor will throw a code. If the dealer read the truck and did not notice it - something is fishy.
I'm not so sure an intermittent wheel sensor or one with a weak hall effect that 'loses' pulses will throw a code. After all, if a wheel is going slower than the rest (or is 'sensed' to be) is exactly what the system is designed to detect/act on. No code necessary. That is what it is designed to do.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Thank you all for your responses. I will take those to the dealer, who seems interested. I'll give followup when I find out what it is.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
I'm not so sure an intermittent wheel sensor or one with a weak hall effect that 'loses' pulses will throw a code. After all, if a wheel is going slower than the rest (or is 'sensed' to be) is exactly what the system is designed to detect/act on. No code necessary. That is what it is designed to do.
I have never seen a bad abs sensor not throw a code in das

As a matter of fact those codes get logged very very easily.