GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL diesel: High miles = High $?

Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by BlownV8
It's not an opinion it's a fact. Look at the 0-60 of the gas vs the diesel. It's a huge difference. Before I got 22" wheels my average was 17.7 MPG. You can run regular gas in the GL if you don't drive like a maniac. Do the math on the difference between regular and the cost of Diesel. Over the last 8 years there has been a pretty dramatic difference in price. I think the average is around 22%+.

The diesel gets around 30% better fuel economy than the gas but you also have higher maintenance costs with much more frequent fuel filter change schedule and fuel contamination issues that can render the fuel system a brick. Even with the increased fuel savings, it is most likely negated by the maintenance requirements. If you have a fuel delivery issue on the diesel and you are out of warranty, the fuel savings will be negated and then some.

I posted examples of the repairs and many owners who ditched their diesels because of the excessive repair costs. Maybe it's a fuel supply issue maybe not. Either way, that cost is real and it is very expensive when it happens.
again- the market valuation and depreciation schedules do not support your statement. take it for what is worth...
Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by alx
again- the market valuation and depreciation schedules do not support your statement. take it for what is worth...
There were many more GL450's produced than GL320/350's. MB sold more of them than any other model in the US. It may be a supply and demand issue. However, yes, the idea of the improved fuel economy is very intoxicating and diesels typically hold thier value better than the gas equivalent in most vehicles over the long haul. Diesel buyers believe the ownership costs are lower via better fuel economy and longer lifespan.

I would agree with most of that ideal but I think the GL diesel may be an exception on the cost side. Like I said, I was a fan and had a 320 ordered but I am glad it didn't arrive in time. I couldn't be more impressed with the 450. Just wish it had the twin turbo engine of the 2013+. More power!!!!!

My next car will be a GL63 or an SL65.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
I have an sl65 and I personally see about two per month cross my hands needing various stuff.

You think the gl has issues? )) with the sl65 you have got another thing coming
Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alx
I have an sl65 and I personally see about two per month cross my hands needing various stuff.

You think the gl has issues? )) with the sl65 you have got another thing coming
I know, I know, I know. Getting back into a car with ABC is not what I really want to do. I will probably just get the GL63. Love my GL and an extra 300 to 400 hp with modifications on the GL63 will give me the acceleration I want with the utility I need. Once again, don't want to go through all the ABC suspension issues again, or $5,000 brake jobs, $4,000 coil packs, and all the other issues and maintenace costs/repairs that come with the SL65.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM
a2j

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2008 GL320CDI (265k) & 2017 GLS450 (120k)
It's not an opinion it's a fact. Look at the 0-60 of the gas vs the diesel. It's a huge difference. Before I got 22" wheels my average was 17.7 MPG. You can run regular gas in the GL if you don't drive like a maniac. Do the math on the difference between regular and the cost of Diesel. Over the last 8 years there has been a pretty dramatic difference in price. I think the average is around 22%+.

The diesel gets around 30% better fuel economy than the gas but you also have higher maintenance costs with much more frequent fuel filter change schedule and fuel contamination issues that can render the fuel system a brick. Even with the increased fuel savings, it is most likely negated by the maintenance requirements. If you have a fuel delivery issue on the diesel and you are out of warranty, the fuel savings will be negated and then some.

I posted examples of the repairs and many owners who ditched their diesels because of the excessive repair costs. Maybe it's a fuel supply issue maybe not. Either way, that cost is real and it is very expensive when it happens.
Filling up your GL with regular as is same as not changing filters as often on a diesel GL. Both were NOT designed for that. Why is everything based on "IF"? You are comparing your 450 to worst case scenario 320. 450s also have worst case scenarios... Sounds like you are trying to make an excuse for buying a 450. With your 17MPG, regular as would have to be $1.20 less than $4/gal diesel for me to be the same in fuel costs. Again, we are talking about fuel that wasn't meant to be in your engine, period. Currently premium gas cost more than diesel in my area. Also, how many miles GL450 engine can run before needing an overhaul vs 320?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML430 / 2001 CLK55 AMG / 2007 R320 CDI / 2005 S55 AMG / 2001 ML55 AMG / 2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mschirmer
An update - the oil cooler leak and associated problems have now resulted in the "check Engine" light being on constantly w/ about 15 faults, the biggest being related to the swirl port motors - dealer has escalated the repair price to $5400. Add to that that they say the heater in the AdBlue tank has failed - and that will cost $2000 to fix. On top of that, they say that given the age (4.5 years!) and miles, that they really aren't interested in doing the service.

Given that the book value of the vehicle is just a tad over $20,000 (109K miles), it simply doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money to keep it on the road - even though everything else is nearly mint (including $2000 worth of new tires).

Will investigate having an independent shop do the repairs, but only if they can give some nominal warranty on their fix. Seriously just thinking of selling the thing to a salvage yard for scrap value.

25+ year Mercedes owner, but the last few months probably means it's time to move to another marque. Makes no sense that a $65,000 vehicle can be reduced to scrap value in 4.5 years and a little over 100K miles. So much for the legendary longevity of Mercedes diesels.
What would you need to sell it for as-is? I'd be interested in buying a project if the price was right.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by a2j
Again, we are talking about fuel that wasn't meant to be in your engine, period.
The engine runs just fine with regular. I ran for many tens of thousands of miles on regular. When I go on a long hwy trip, I use regular. No problems at all.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GL 350

Regarding the acceleration, you are comparing a V6 Diesel with an V8 gasser. That is not fair. ML 350 comes in both V6 Diesel (3.0 L) and V6 gasser (3.5 L) engines and they both have the same 0 to 60. Diesel is not necessarily slower. MB used to produce a 4.0 L V8 Diesel GL (not offered in North American market). It was rated at 24 MPG, had 300 HP, and 515 lbs-ft torque with 0-60 of ~ 7 seconds. A 4.6 L V8 Diesel engine would be much faster than GL 450, while producing great MPG. I can live with the relative slowness of GL 350, but I understand its a matter of personal preference.

Also, where I live Diesel and Premium fuel are the same price, expect for winter for which Diesel is ~ 25 cents more expensive.

Knock on wood, our 2012 GL 350 has been trouble free. We got a 7 year/100 k warranty as a precaution.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
The engine runs just fine with regular. I ran for many tens of thousands of miles on regular. When I go on a long hwy trip, I use regular. No problems at all.

Of course. Reduced power, less protection from knocking, and cleaner injectors are a myth.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Of course. Reduced power, less protection from knocking, and cleaner injectors are a myth.
The cleaner injectors statement is a myth. Do some research.

On the hwy, the extra power is not really needed. There are knock sensors to reduce the timing so the reduced octane is not really an issue with the 450 engine.

For a very long time, diesel in my area was around 25% higher than gas. Now, it's only around 10%. It was a forumla I looked at early in the ownership experience. To me, I gladly accepted a 30% reduction in mileage with the net really being only 5% with the difference in fuel costs. The decreased fuel mileage for the performance difference was worth it to me. Coming from a 600+ hp CL, even the gasser, to me, was slow while the diesel was very slow.

I literally ran regular in my car for close to 1/2 of its life with no noticable long term side effects. I only noticed an effect when I was absolutely hammering the car and I could feel the car cutting a little timing. I typically drive very sedately so regular works just fine 99% of the time. I really think driving style comes into play with the use of regular vs premium.

If my car was the newer bi-turbo 450, there is no way I would ever run regular. Turbocharged engines really need the increased octane due to the heat and pressure fron the forced induction.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL 450 (lease returned, like new, cried when we left it at the dealer), 2011 GL350 BlueTec
Count me in as one more person with an oil valve or oil cooler leak on a 2011 GL350 BluTec. My wife noticed oil on the floor. I said, "No worries, probably the air conditioner." We were taking the GL on the road for six weeks and she said, "No way. Take it in." Was in for over a week, delayed our trip. 1,000 miles later, I've lost 3/4 of the tank of oil. Checking and refilling every 500 miles. Now in one place for a month and the dealer here has had the car for 12 days now. We're booking almost 22 days in the shop for this issue. Thank goodness for extended warranties. Love the car otherwise. Seems like MB should really recall these guys.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec
Diesel engine leak is a Mercedes design fault. It is not the user fault.

Folks,
let us collect the data on the Bluetec. I have searched ~40 cars on cars.com and found ~ 20 cars with leaks and torn seats (taken from CarFax report on the site). Please add your car or any leaky car you know to the list. There is no such record of engine failure for any other car in the industry.
Worse, the failure is mainly because of material choice of a gasket (~$5 value!). Every car made with these gaskets will eventually fail. M-B should recall the bluetecs and offer full repair and warranty.
As a Material Scientist, I was stunned by the choice of material in that gasket. I never suspected anyone in Germany (one of the top countries in materials engineering) would do such a mistake rather than by Mercedes-Benz who has over 80 years of experience with diesel engines and have actually produced some of the best diesel engines in the world. Worse, the gasket is located deep in the engine that it would take a skilled technician between 20 to 30 hours to repair it, according to experts! M-B should have not used anything but metal gasket in that location.
This is a Lemon! There is NO such failure in any engine made by any other manufacturer. Please check the table below: some engines has failed at ~29.5k! This is a $60k car. MB should be ashamed of this record and should hurry up to correct it plus granting at least 100k mile warranty on the repair.
Please add your VIN together with the approximate mileage and date when your engine leaked. Let us take it to the Attorney General of New Jersey (Where MB headquarter is located). There is no cost to submit a claim. Each of us should submit the same claim showing clear evidence of failure at the manufacturing level. We need a volunteer to write a good letter. This is an obvious case. Someone in Florida forced MB (through the Attorney General) to reacquire their car as a lemon.
Go here to file a complaint with NJ Attorney General: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/Pag...Complaint.aspx
Scroll down to see how to file online or download a complaint form. There is a Lemon complaint too.