Starting problem - Page 3 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Starting problem

 
Old 12-13-2018, 07:03 PM
  #51  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,901
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by fkong777 View Post
Actually 2 months ago. The A/C compressor & pulley just exploded. took out the belt and couple of other pulleys with it. That was a $1500 repair. So that's what I meant by failing apart.
Year and miles?

AC compressors usually make a bunch of noise before coming apart, but all the sound insolation on MBs can hide a lot of that.
N_Jay is online now  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 PM
  #52  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 103
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2007 GL450 , 2012 BMW 528i and 2002 Chrysler Town and Country (200K+)
I'd vote for a starter problem. It is wearable part and every start/crank cycle wears down the bushes.
If same cable harness worked well for initial years, it shouldn't lose its conductivity unless significantly rusted/damaged.
I am not a fan of throwing parts at a problem either, but how else would one diagnose a failing starter.
TX07GL450 is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:02 PM
  #53  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,901
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by TX07GL450 View Post
. . .
I am not a fan of throwing parts at a problem either, but how else would one diagnose a failing starter.
check crank current and voltage drop.

Cables generally go bad due to coroscorr inside of crimped on ends.

That can be tested by looking for voltage drop from terminal to terminal.
N_Jay is online now  
Old 12-14-2018, 02:55 PM
  #54  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 96
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
check crank current and voltage drop.

Cables generally go bad due to coroscorr inside of crimped on ends.

That can be tested by looking for voltage drop from terminal to terminal.
Makes a lot of sense but how can I do that? Or can a mechanic do this one pretty easily?
I am willing to buy a multimeter and take it to him in case he doesn't have.
ignorant is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:46 PM
  #55  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,901
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by ignorant View Post
Makes a lot of sense but how can I do that? Or can a mechanic do this one pretty easily?
I am willing to buy a multimeter and take it to him in case he doesn't have.
Checking current can be done with an inline or clamp on ammeter.
Checking voltage drop can be done with a decent voltmeter.
Checking terminal voltage drop is bet with a pin probe to get a contact through the insulation a few inches from the lug and then see if while cranking there is a significant drop.

Most mechanics are not good with electrical stuff. Maybe find a good auto-electronics shop.

P.S. Weak when hot starters are quite common across brands.

Check cranking speed when it starts and when it doesn't.
N_Jay is online now  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:12 PM
  #56  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 560
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
2007 GL450
In general one should be cautious about throwing parts at a problem, but jeez - changing the starter just isn't that hard. If it hasn't been changed, and the thing has over 100k miles, especially miles with a fair amount of stop-start, heck, you ought to change the starter on general principles.

It took me a while to swap my starter, but I was dropped on my head one too many times as a baby. Actually, I was having my boy do most of the work so he could learn. Who am I kidding, I'm retarded.

After all these comments, I still can't figure out what the actual problem supposedly is with the cables. Anybody can help me understand?
eric_in_sd is offline  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:55 PM
  #57  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,901
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd View Post
After all these comments, I still can't figure out what the actual problem supposedly is with the cables. Anybody can help me understand?
Guessing a little, but from what I can tell the cable harness form eth batter to the starter, alternator, and jump box is one part.
Again, guessing from pervious experience on other cars, the crimped ends for the lugs on each connection point can get some water inside which builds up corrosion, and eventually results in high resistance between the wires strands and the actual connection,
This shows up as a greater than expected voltage drop under high current (staring) and resulting slow starter, and higher starter current and heat..

N_Jay is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to N_Jay For This Useful Post:
eric_in_sd (12-14-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 PM
  #58  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Well I think it's the starter for sure on mine.
I went to go pickup a new snowboard in Flushing the other day which is about 30 mins from me.
It was about 45F out so it started pretty quick, maybe 5-8 cranks before it started.
It just so happens the guy I was getting the snowboard from was a mechanic and I went to his shop to pick it up.
When I went to leave the starter cranked one time and then didn't even try again. The guy came over and asked if I need a jump.
I'm like nope this has been happening since I got the car a month and a half ago and I read on the forums it might be the positive lead cable.
He point blank said it's the starter because he works on Mercedes all the time.
Tried cranking it again, only this time it cranked 3 times and died again again.
3rd time was a charm and it cranked 15-20 times before the car finely started.
Now I'll just order the tool to remove the motor mount and do the starter first.
Also a fun little side issue now is that the pos truck is hard as hell to turn at low speed (must be the speed related solenoid) Just ordered one and hope that it fixes the issue...
I really hope this truck doesn't turn into a bottomless money pit!
I'll report back after I change out this starter.
Aboshi is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 PM
  #59  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 560
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
2007 GL450
Ever notice that we MB owners tend to over-think problems? I think it's cause the vehicles behave weird when stuff goes wrong, and you can get misleading information. Like I said, I think the sluggishness starting is because the system is avoiding putting fuel in the cylinders if it's not cranking fast enough. So you end up chasing down all sorts of rat holes.
Originally Posted by Aboshi View Post
Now I'll just order the tool to remove the motor mount and do the starter first.
A tip: Read up on Mercedes Medic's tool and procedure recommendations. You have to have the special tool, and the stubby combination wrenches really help.
Another tip: Take pictures before you disassemble. The heat shield on the motor mount is nearly impossible to get back in the right orientation. I wish i'd taken pictures. Similar for the heat shield on the starter itself, though that one is easier to put back in.
And another: Change the oxy sensor, if you've got more than about 100kmi on it, while you're in there. It could be just fine, but that oxy sensor is the one that fine tunes the air-fuel mixture, so it's important that it functions right.
Originally Posted by Aboshi View Post
Also a fun little side issue now is that the pos truck is hard as hell to turn at low speed (must be the speed related solenoid) Just ordered one and hope that it fixes the issue...I really hope this truck doesn't turn into a bottomless money pit!
A final tip: Don't use the forums to complain. We all know it can be maddening. If you don't want to stick with the beast, then sell it. Or commit to getting it set up right. Either way, don't whine about it. Nobody wants to help out a guy who's all negative.
eric_in_sd is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:47 PM
  #60  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 GL450
@eric_in_sd
Yeah def tend to overthink it on the MB.
I do however plan on selling this truck as soon as I fix these issues with it, I'll stick to what I know best which are land rovers.
Aboshi is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:13 PM
  #61  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 560
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Aboshi View Post
I do however plan on selling this truck as soon as I fix these issues with it,
See, here's the problem. No one cares what your plans are. You're just trying to make yourself feel better, hoping guys will chime in, saying, yeah, these things really suck. Maybe they do, maybe they don't; it's beside the point. Either fix it, or don't, and don't whine about it.

Originally Posted by Aboshi View Post
I'll stick to what I know best which are land rovers.
Say what? You sure the repairs you need aren't between your ears? I'm no expert on land rovers, but my impression is they're even worse than M-B.

Get a Toyota or a Ford. If could do it over again, I'd be in a F150. Or maybe Expedition. Dunno. I wouldn't buy the GL again, but now that I have it, I'm making the best of it.
eric_in_sd is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 PM
  #62  
Super Member
 
fkong777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
updates,

Just got the x164 back.. MY2007 with 77500 miles

story goes..
Go to Indy 1st time. found fuse box wires crispy.-rewired changed couple of relays $500 also found power steering reservoir leaking -replaced $300
Go to Indy 2nd time. 3 weeks Indy changed CPS still didnt start everytime. Indy narrow down to DME/ECM issue have to send x164 to dealer. MB wont sell DME to Indy. Didnt charge any money.
at dealer for 3weeks - found no or low fuel pressure. Change fuel pump relay $300
Tow back to dealer the same day - No start again.
at dealer for another week - found problem with DME not sending signal consistently to fuel pump relay at rear fuse block need to order reman DME and program
at dealer for another week- X164 picked up and is now back home for daily use. replace DME/ECM and rear fuse block. $2200

apart from the above cost I also change sparkplugs, main battery and mass air sensor DIY and parts cost of $350.

Lets hope it will last for a couple years.
fkong777 is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:26 AM
  #63  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 560
Thanked 57 Times in 49 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by fkong777 View Post
updates,
...
PAIN
...
Thanks for getting back with the trip report. Kudos to you for keeping a good attitude.
eric_in_sd is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 AM
  #64  
Super Member
 
fkong777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 550
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
07 GL450, 91 NSX, 12 Prius
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd View Post
Thanks for getting back with the trip report. Kudos to you for keeping a good attitude.
On the bright side the GL450 drives incredible now with all the new sensors, plugs and DME. Seem to have more power, response and smoothness.

fkong777 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM
  #65  
Junior Member
 
NaijaBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Lagos
Posts: 19
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2008 ML63 AMG
Just came round to thank all the people that contributed positively to this post, I've had this issue with my 2008 ML63AMG, sluggish startup ever since I got it, by the time I came across this thread the car wouldn't even start up again so from this post I was able to understand the issue and located the right wire for my car, part number 164 540 36 30 $30 on ebay brand new, by this time I had already gone through a brand new battery and a used starter motor. This cable was changed a few minutes ago and the difference was immediately clear, that cable was dead as I had not been able to start the car in two weeks. Now startup is fast and instant! So, many thanks to all the contributors.
NaijaBerry is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 PM
  #66  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,901
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by NaijaBerry View Post
Just came round to thank all the people that contributed positively to this post, I've had this issue with my 2008 ML63AMG, sluggish startup ever since I got it, by the time I came across this thread the car wouldn't even start up again so from this post I was able to understand the issue and located the right wire for my car, part number 164 540 36 30 $30 on ebay brand new, by this time I had already gone through a brand new battery and a used starter motor. This cable was changed a few minutes ago and the difference was immediately clear, that cable was dead as I had not been able to start the car in two weeks. Now startup is fast and instant! So, many thanks to all the contributors.
Did you get a look at what was bad about the cable?
N_Jay is online now  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:10 PM
  #67  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 96
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Just called the dealership today to get a quote and they said they donít think a cable is usually the problem and they donít usually change cables of GL series
they said starter or battery could be the problem
asked for 150$+tax (cad) for diagnosis
130$(cad) or 180$(cad) for cables (apparently there is two cables, one from battery to the power distribution box, other from the box to starter) and 3 hours of labor (450cad) to change either
To replace the starter, part+labor was 670cad

i donít know where to begin
even they asked me which cable i want changed
ignorant is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM
  #68  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte NC area
Posts: 9,901
Thanked 107 Times in 100 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by ignorant View Post
Just called the dealership today to get a quote and they said they donít think a cable is usually the problem and they donít usually change cables of GL series
they said starter or battery could be the problem
asked for 150$+tax (cad) for diagnosis
130$(cad) or 180$(cad) for cables (apparently there is two cables, one from battery to the power distribution box, other from the box to starter) and 3 hours of labor (450cad) to change either
To replace the starter, part+labor was 670cad

i donít know where to begin
even they asked me which cable i want changed
Find an auto shop that is not STUPID about electrical systems.
Testing a cable is a no brianer for anyone with a brain.
N_Jay is online now  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:17 PM
  #69  
Junior Member
 
NaijaBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Lagos
Posts: 19
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2008 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by N_Jay View Post
Did you get a look at what was bad about the cable?
There was no visible problem with the cable, there was a portion that the plastic cover had been opened up a bit to expose the copper wire under it that was all.
NaijaBerry is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Starting problem


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: