GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmatic

I have 2011 GL350 with 46,xxx miles and starting to concern about suspension system...
lately, I started notice some 'puff' or some weird sounds as I drove over speed bumps with over 10mph... it feels like something under there is not stable.... and it mostly comes from front side... If i drive gradually over the bumps, i don't feel this....

What is the symptom of airmatic going bad?
How can I tell if my suspension is going bad....? BTW, I tried to raise the vehicle and it raised and lowered the body without any issue though.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I have 147xxx miles on my ML with Airmatic. Only malfunction was a air pump that burned out because the stupid relay stuck in the on position and MB did not choose to include a relay chart in the manual, so by the time I got to the dealer, the pump was dead. Also "Airmatic Malfunction" displayed in the dash.

Only time I hear a "puff" is after I park, there is sometimes a "pssst" sound from the front as the system re adjusts. Never heard anything going over bumps.

I was skeptical about Airmatic when I first bought the vehicle new, but now it's not a thought.

You should be still under warranty, have a dealer check just in case?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
it might huff and puff when surroundings are quiet enough to hear it (ie when going over bumps at low speeds). it is the sound of large suspension bits working together.

if there is a problem you will know - trust me.