GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

"Airmatic Compressor "On" Time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2007 335i with a Cobb tune (435HP)
"Airmatic Compressor "On" Time?

How much time is the Airmatic compressor actually supposed to be operating? It's got louder recently and so I hear it a lot more...most of the time the vehicle is in motion, in fact (kicks in at 40km/h and back out when slowing below 20km/h). I'm wondering if it's normal for the compressor to be operating that much and I just notice it now that it's loud, or if it's not supposed to be working nearly so much and there's a leak in the system which it's trying to keep up with?

Also, the pump never operates when the vehicle is at a standstill, and all 4 corners of the vehicle look like they're supposed to look--haven't seen one drop yet or had any codes thrown. One thing I have to say about that though ... I measured the distance from the garage floor to the bodywork, with each wheel hub as my centre point, and none of the measurements were equal (33", 33.25", 33.5" and 34"). I'm guessing that's within a level of tolerance???

Anyway, any light shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:25 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
compressor total running time can be queried with das/ star.

there is also a diagnostic routine that will pressurize the compressor integrated reservour - it should be able to reach 20 bars in short order (10-15 secs).

most (older) compressors will fail along the seam on the reservour. new compressors are updated to not have that seam.

Last edited by alx; 11-04-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by alx
compressor total running time can be queried with das/ star.

there is also a diagnostic routine that will pressurize the compressor integrated reservour - it should be able to reach 20 bars in short order (10-15 secs).

most (older) compressors will fail along the seam on the reservour. new compressors are updated to not have that seam.
20 bars is excessive from my experience. My DAS compressor test is 14 bar, and yes, it should reach that within about 15 seconds no problem.

As to how much it should run, that depends on what kind of roads your driving on and how you're driving (hard accel/braking, cornering etc.)

It shouldn't be running for more than maybe 20 seconds at a shot though and not very frequently. If you find it running very frequently, you likely have a leak someplace.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:24 PM

Great, thanks guys. Yeah, it's running solid for many many minutes, driving like a grandpa. I found a minuscule leak in one of the air lines. It's very tiny though...not sure if it's enough to warrant what's happening. I'll patch that properly and then take it from there.

How loud is the compressor supposed to be? Mine's currently loud enough that you can easily hear it when driving, with the radio not up too high.

Again, much thanks!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:38 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
20 bars is excessive from my experience. My DAS compressor test is 14 bar, and yes, it should reach that within about 15 seconds no problem.

As to how much it should run, that depends on what kind of roads your driving on and how you're driving (hard accel/braking, cornering etc.)

It shouldn't be running for more than maybe 20 seconds at a shot though and not very frequently. If you find it running very frequently, you likely have a leak someplace.
Das for x164 airmatic calls for 20 bars. 14 bars is borderline and denotes worn piston ring on compressor or more often a crack in the reservour cylinder.

Can't recall from memory but I think at 14 bars the das test will actually fail.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:48 PM

So, found a leak in one of the air lines. The tech cut out the cracked bit and bridged it. Now it's working fine. After a start-up it kicks in at 40 km/h, as it should, and only runs for 10 to just over 20 seconds, and then I don't hear it again for the rest of a trip. The compressor certainly is noisy though, but is keeping pressure with no problem. I think the tech said it tested at close to 20.

If the compressor fails I'm going to replace that myself and save some money. Easy job.

Again, thanks for the responses all. Have a great weekend. <insert beer mug emoticon here>
Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by alx
Das for x164 airmatic calls for 20 bars. 14 bars is borderline and denotes worn piston ring on compressor or more often a crack in the reservour cylinder.

Can't recall from memory but I think at 14 bars the das test will actually fail.
good to know. I ran the test on my w220 which only calls for 14bar.