GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Knocking Sound When Braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 320
Knocking Sound When Braking

Just had a major Service B done along with the automatic transmission oil change on my 2007 GL320 CDI. After getting the car back from the dealer, a knocking sound became apparent every time I brake moderately. Dealer (or rather the account manager) was reluctant to investigate and tried to convince me that these sounds are normal and that I should accept it as it is. I finally managed get a road test done with the mechanic, who concluded that it is likely to be the anti-roll bar rubber bushings that need replacing, and that would cost in excess of £300.

The thing is, I had exactly the same sound that came out of the car about 3 years ago. During that time, the same dealer investigated as part of the warranty and found a loose screw on the gearbox mount which they tightened and waxed some parts of it, which eliminated the sound. I mentioned my previous experience to the dealer several times but they are not convinced that this is the problem let alone associate the noise to the recent service they did.

My questions are:

1. Does a major service or 722.9 oil change require loosening or removal of the gearbox mount?
2. Could a loose screw on a gearbox mount actually cause a knocking sound when braking?
3. Are the screw(s) of the gearbox mount easily accessible that I can tighten them myself, or something that can be easily accessed and fixed by a mechanic?

This knocking sound is driving me nuts and would really be grateful for any advice.

Thanks.