GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Need manufacturer of "roof rack basic carrier" bars

Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
'98 E320 and '08 GL320
Need manufacturer of "roof rack basic carrier" bars

I recently bought some of the "roof rack basic carrier" cross bars for my GL second hand. The previous owner said he had lost the keys. I checked with the mercedes dealership about replacement keys and they said they couldn't help me. I had heard that these bars were manufactured by Thule, but when I checked with Thule, they also could not help. Part of the problem seems to be that the faces of the lock cylinders have no markings whatsoever on them. Normally, a Thule lock cylinder has a number on it corresponding to the key. Any ideas where I should go from here (I am guessing a locksmith)? Is Thule not the manufacturer?
Attached Thumbnails Need manufacturer of "roof rack basic carrier" bars-roof-rack.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
They are Thule or in some cases Mont Blanc. I've seen some knock offs too. They are all over eBay. The Thule should have the 3 digit key number on the lock.

Mine are Thule, but are not the basic ones. If you look hard in the plastic I found Thule stamped in it. Someone took the chrome pieces off one of mine and then tried to take the other one. I went to work a few weeks ago the second one slid down the roof. I suspect they came back for the second one and it too broke?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
'98 E320 and '08 GL320
Thanks--I'll see if there is any Mont Blanc connection.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
There are also lots of knocks offs of these on the market. If it truly is a Thrule the lock cylinder can be switched out. The knock offs look almost the real thing and sell for a lit less than the real ones. The lock set is not that good it only keeps the honest people honest and slows the others down.