Oxygen Sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2018 | 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by BlownV8
No, my SL600 is a 2005.
Dunno what the story is, then. I see that now there are generic converters that are CARB certified, including for the GL.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

For everyone's info, a replacement cat must be on this list to be legit.

Now, if you can get a mechanic to install some random cat, you'll likely be fine, as Pedro the Smog Amigo ain't gonna crawl under the car to check.
Old 07-10-2018 | 03:05 PM

W124, W126, W140, W220, W222, R129
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Great news about the sensor! I guess it's the bank 2 sensor that's the worst. At 150k miles I really ought to do them all. Did you use a torch, Liquid Wrench, or just sheer brawn?

The clearing CEL from unplugging the sensor doesn't mean anything; it's just that the "sensor is bad" error went away, soon to be replaced by "sensor is missing".

Do you have any pending or stored codes? I discovered that the computer took time to self clear the P0305, so after a bunch of work it turned out to run fine after i changed the #5 coil AND cleared the code. Possibly the system is sniffing around to see if the 304 error is still a problem.

Since you have a new sensor in place, I'd clear all the codes and monitor the system from start. You mentioned SRS; do you have that with you? If not, get one of the "pocket" systems like the MBII or iCarsoft.

If you're up for the work, put the old #4 coil back in and see if the 304 error comes back. Kinda hard to justify when the coils are to be had for under $20, but I'm such a glutton for punishment I'd do it.

"Wut!" I hear you saying, "Those coils are $50 apiece!" First, get the Delphi coils. The Bosch are literally just the Delphi with a sticker on top. Second, you can find both the Bosch and Delphi as open box items on Ebay and Amazon Warehouse. The other brands are marginal and I wouldn't take a risk on them.
I just plain old muscle to get it out and a 7/8 wrench.

Cleared the P0300 code as soon as I installed the sensor. Took the car on 2 30-minute drives, and no codes yet. Slight vibration, maybe the engine is just working out its kinks - feels like motor mounts may be going bad - never seen the issue before I started this whole mess. I do have the SDS, so its no big deal. Also have the foxwell, mbII, and a generic reader. I got all types of code reading capabilities.

Yeah, I bought the delphi coil from Amazon: $29. Not too much more, but It is what it is. Next time I will go the other route you suggested.

Still having the bucking/lurching issue I may have mentioned (created another thread entirely for it), which I am now going to try and remedy.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by nishboo; 07-10-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2018 | 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by nishboo
I just plain old muscle to get it out and a 7/8 wrench.

Cleared the P0300 code as soon as I installed the sensor. Took the car on 2 30-minute drives, and no codes yet. Slight vibration, maybe the engine is just working out its kinks - feels like motor mounts may be going bad - never seen the issue before I started this whole mess. I do have the SDS, so its no big deal. Also have the foxwell, mbII, and a generic reader. I got all types of code reading capabilities.

Yeah, I bought the delphi coil from Amazon: $29. Not too much more, but It is what it is. Next time I will go the other route you suggested.

Still having the bucking/lurching issue I may have mentioned (created another thread entirely for it), which I am now going to try and remedy.

Thanks for the help!
Here's a $22 AWD coil.
Amazon Amazon
I'd get it, but I already have four or five spares, against the seven yet to be changed.

If you have that lurching, and not even any pending codes, sounds like it's probably some gross mechanical, like the motor mounts. Possibly the roughness from running open loop sped the motor mounts along on their demise. Apparently those are pretty easy to change if you have the right tools. MB Medic has a decent writeup. While you're doing the passenger side mount, you should change the starter if you haven't already, as they do go out and disconnecting the motor from the mount is part of changing the starter, at least according to MB Medic.

No prob, happy to get the chance to talk through it.
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (07-10-2018)