GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Used GL450 with 49000 miles no service records at car max

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Used GL450 with 49000 miles no service records at car max

I am buying a 2012 GL 450 from Car Max and it has 49000 miles on it. They don't have service records on the car. It has new tires. What do I need to ask or require about the maintaince before I pay for the car. The tilt steering wheel motor is being replaced now.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Find out from them who DOES have the service records - if it is a Mercedes dealer they should know that. The VIN WILL be in their computer.
You should require that you be allowed to get the car to a dealer or independent of YOUR choice - not them obviously - before you pay. And problems or questions discovered would naturally be subject to negotiations of the price you pay. You of course would have to pay for the inspection.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450, 2013 Lexus GS350 F-Sport
$100 for an inspection can go a long, long way.

"The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Mercedes."
Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350, 2015 GLK350 4Matic
You won't get the service records for the car as a rule unless you know someone who will do it for you under the table at MB. The excuse is typically that owner Personal Information is on the records. Regardless, spend the money for an inspection at an independent mechanic and that way you know what is and isn't wrong and negotiate accordingly.

Since the OP hasn't come back I'm guessing he's one of those 'helicopters' who post and expect an answer immediately and will never come back to close his own thread.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550
CarMax uses AutoCheck vs. CarFax.

AutoCheck does not report repairs like CarFax does.

There's a reason for that too that CarMax does not use it. Otherwise the report would give away half of it's sales! Who wants to buy anything that's been in the shop other than for normal oil changes.

I would pay the asking fee of what CarFax wants and pull it too! Any vehicle that been plugged up for a scan tool is a dead giveaway that there's been a problem.

Another issue is when CarMax fixes anything in it's possession it does not release those records either. Whether it's good or bad. So you'll never know what's been done to the vehicle.

CarMax is good and bad at fixing issues. Since they deal in so many brands they are not trained to rip apart the steering column. Some items that are above their skill set are farmed out to the manufacture for repair. It's not a speedy process either. Either is getting an appointment. Anything brought back within the 5 days they are going to drag their feet on hoping you'll get stuck with the process.

If you buy their extended warranty you are totally wasting your money. They will deny just about all claims. The administrator that oversees the aftermarket warranty is riddled with complaints. There are several of them so you will need to Google them. If you use CarMax to repair it's one price and the manufacture another price, read carefully!

I've used CarMax many times for buying and selling and you have to weed through the cars. They are not perfect by any means. I've had very good luck with all my purchases from them and there have been many. All of mine had the manufacture warranty left on them too.

Also you get 5 days to return a CarMax vehicle. Use that time wisely and have the truck checked out. After 3 days the per diem will accrue but it's still cheaper than being stuck with a PITA.

Last edited by CBR Dude; 06-25-2015 at 04:02 PM.