Third row rear side windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x164
Third row rear side windows

Hi All

We have a UK spec GL420 2008 and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to retro fit the 3rd row window opening feature. Ours doesn't have the two extra buttons at the bottom of the window controls on the drivers side.

Recently I had the rear windows tinted and the tinter was asking if they opened as he noticed the windows moved when pressed but couldn't find the switch. Is it a simple case of adding the relevant switches?

Has anyone tried this?

Cheers

Simon
Old 06-25-2015, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Do your windows currently open? And if so, how? Manually or with a button back by the windows? If manually, it should be pretty obvious that this isn't a 'simple' mod as there would be electric motors and wiring to install.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:09 AM

x164
I'm not sure I understand your response we've only had the car 6 months so not sure on all the in's and out's of how features work. I know we don't have the bottom two buttons on the drivers side window control that are required for initiating electric opening.

But I didn't know there was a manual way of opening them? How do you do that normally?

Do you know if the mechanicals are installed by default in the factory and they just don't include the switches?

I've retro fitted stuff on other cars we've had (like cruise control on a rav4 by just adding the steering stalk, effectively just a multi switch) so just wondered if Mercedes do something similar i.e fit the bits in the factory but don't fit the switch gear.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
The first part of my response was simply asking if your windows currently open - something I can't answer for you. I have the electric windows and don't know if there is a manual way, or not, to open them. You'll have to physically go back there and look to see if there is some kind of manual release.

There would be no logical reason for the "guts" of the electric opening windows to be there if you don't have that option. The part of this you're not picking up on is that there are physical items needed for this to work. Just adding some buttons won't make this magically work. In addition to the motors and wiring that I mentioned above, there would also be the "hinge" mechanism. That's a lot to install, especially if they don't already open. Now, there is a good possibility that the wiring could already be in place - but it wouldn't make sense for the other stuff to be there.

You could pull the door's control panel and rear panels to look for open wiring connectors.

Regarding cruise control... you added a 'physical' item (the stalk). The programming for the cruise control was already built into the computer. You'll need to add physical items for the windows to open, as well. And then, it might work right away - or you might still have to get the computer programmed to accept the new function.

Last edited by DennisG01; 06-26-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:35 PM

x164
Originally Posted by DennisG01
The first part of my response was simply asking if your windows currently open - something I can't answer for you. I have the electric windows and don't know if there is a manual way, or not, to open them. You'll have to physically go back there and look to see if there is some kind of manual release.

There would be no logical reason for the "guts" of the electric opening windows to be there if you don't have that option. The part of this you're not picking up on is that there are physical items needed for this to work. Just adding some buttons won't make this magically work. In addition to the motors and wiring that I mentioned above, there would also be the "hinge" mechanism. That's a lot to install, especially if they don't already open. Now, there is a good possibility that the wiring could already be in place - but it wouldn't make sense for the other stuff to be there.

You could pull the door's control panel and rear panels to look for open wiring connectors.

Regarding cruise control... you added a 'physical' item (the stalk). The programming for the cruise control was already built into the computer. You'll need to add physical items for the windows to open, as well. And then, it might work right away - or you might still have to get the computer programmed to accept the new function.
Do you know of a full list of bits needed for this feature? I'll take the rear panels off next week at work. The way the windows flex when I push them closest to the rear pillar from the outside suggests to me the hinge might be there.

On the Rav the stalk was a £25 order off fleabay and yes the comp was preconfigured but theres also a clutch switch pre fitted in the factory that didn't need to be there unless you had cruise. I'm sure some bits are fitted as standard items an switch gear not added as it is cheaper not to have to make multiple versions of bits like window hinges or the production lines would be over complicated. I had a Golf too where the dealer wanted £500 for the summer pack at order but it turned out if you added a fuse and the key switch it worked.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Presume you are in the UK. Neither your post nor your sig states. Best bet is to visit your nearest M-B dealer. Ask the shop foreman if your rear side windows are designed to be manually opened and if so how does it work. [The electric windows on mine open OUT however so your statement that yours flex IN when pressed on the outside seems strange] Only after you determine you have manually opening windows should you be trying to figure out what you need to make yours electric.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
No, I don't know what parts would be required. For that, I'd stop by an MB dealer and talk to the parts department.

I took a close look at mine and even with the window opened, I couldn't see what type/how the hinge is attached. I also had the fleeting hope of being able to look up (on the driver's side - port side) through the compartment where the 1st aid kit is stored - I was hoping to see the motor, which would then mean you could see the motor (or lack of) without taking interior panels off. But there was other stuff in the way.

What does the interior look like? Meaning, the area where the window contacts the car. On mine, on the inside, there is a black rubber seal that is visible from the interior of the car. Just curious how many "things" are similar.

However, I think the easiest thing is to give an MB dealer a call, with your VIN, and ask them what parts would be needed to convert and an approximate price - a simple phone call may save you a bunch of time.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:51 AM

x164
Originally Posted by Fourdiesel
Presume you are in the UK. Neither your post nor your sig states. Best bet is to visit your nearest M-B dealer. Ask the shop foreman if your rear side windows are designed to be manually opened and if so how does it work. [The electric windows on mine open OUT however so your statement that yours flex IN when pressed on the outside seems strange] Only after you determine you have manually opening windows should you be trying to figure out what you need to make yours electric.
Yes I am in the UK, our dealers are hit and miss when it comes to aftersales or preowned care (and extremely expensive for parts).

What I meant by flex inward is there is a little 'give' in the window when pressed in the corner from the outside. This is what my tinter noticed so I think they are hinged and not bonded shut. I can't see any manual way to open them and the manual only indicates via the two lower buttons on the drivers window control panel which I don't have.

I'll try and take some pics of the window so you can see.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:18 AM

x164

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Everything you're showing looks exactly like mine. The only thing that's different, although it likely doesn't matter, is you have what might be a radio antenna on your glass - mine does not.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:44 PM

x164
Ok so any idea what fuses an relays are used?

I'm going to order the switches.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
I do not yet have wiring diagrams for this vehicle, so I'm not sure what fuses and/or relays would be needed.

Are you sure you want to order the switches before verifying the motors are there? This could turn into a costly venture just to crack those rear windows open about 2".
Old 07-01-2015, 01:58 AM

x164
I'll try an whip a side panel off first of course, I'm not that bonkers
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I don't ever use mine. Could care less if they opened. Is all this really worth the effort?
Old 07-02-2015, 05:00 AM

x164
What effort? Might just be a few bits don't know until I've had a proper look.

Forums aren't just for people with fault codes
Old 05-24-2017, 05:54 AM

ML GL
Hi Stappin, Can you tell me did you have any success with the switch or adding the 3rd row windows?