2011 GL550 On The Way - Some Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
2011 GL550 On The Way - Some Questions

Hi all

Im waiting to collect a late 2011 GL550 (well its actually a GL500 for me in the UK) and Im coming out of an ML63 AMG W166 so I have a few questions about tuning options, not to give me AMG power, just to get the best from the big V8.

Is an ECU tune actually beneficial, reports suggest 420hp / 570 Nm so 40 Nm not to be sniffed at I guess, but in a big SUV is it felt when driving? A local tuner suggests it will help it feel a bit more responsive but not massively. I know the AMG was way more powerful and Im not trying to recreate that power, what do you guys think?

Ive read a few articles about the 82mm TB and believe my GL is compatible, so with the larger TB plus air filters and a tune will the pick up be better or is it a bit pointless?

Do the AMG airbox & piping from the SL55, E55 etc. have any benefit over the airboxes fitted from factory?

Anything available for the gearbox TCU in terms of quicker response when shifting?

Im considering drilled rotors, for looks really, anyone fit a drilled version with good experiences?

Sorry if these questions are dumb, I dont know much about the GL500 yet, its a change to give me more space for family members and having lost a lot of money on the ML63 I opted not to buy a GL63 and repeat the process.

Thanks in advance

Carl