Removing Plastic Seat Trim Help...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Removing Plastic Seat Trim Help...

Hey there!

I've seen a few posts that indicate some of the seat creaking noises can be reduced using moleskin between the outside plastic seat trim pieces and the inside areas they contact. Would love to take a stab at this, but I'm struggling to find a clear and clean way to remove the plastic trim along the sides and fronts of the seats without getting too aggressive. I don't want to brake the plastic and create even more problems.

Any insight into how best to accomplish this with text, pictures, or video links would be sweet!

Thanks everyone :-)

Peace...Away...
Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450
Creaks and Sqeaks

I'm looking to do the same thing on my 2010 GL450. I'm using thinner felt tape and have purchased sound deadening material.

The car is super solid with new lower control arms and sway bar endlinks, but the potholes in NYC make for a very percussive interior

I've isolated the noise to the plastic trim on both driver and passenger seats and also the rear seat plastic trim pieces.

I removed the silver plastic surrounding the seat positioning switch on the passenger side with a wedge tool but can't figure out how to remove the other black plastic pieces? I located a small Torx screw but that obviously isn't the only fastener.

Anyone know how to remove these pieces?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by wyo22ski
I'm looking to do the same thing on my 2010 GL450. I'm using thinner felt tape and have purchased sound deadening material.

The car is super solid with new lower control arms and sway bar endlinks, but the potholes in NYC make for a very percussive interior

I've isolated the noise to the plastic trim on both driver and passenger seats and also the rear seat plastic trim pieces.

I removed the silver plastic surrounding the seat positioning switch on the passenger side with a wedge tool but can't figure out how to remove the other black plastic pieces? I located a small Torx screw but that obviously isn't the only fastener.

Anyone know how to remove these pieces?

Thanks
I've been able to pull the rounded on top, linked in at the bottom piece at the back outside of the drivers seat. The clips are at the top and then you can just pull/roll it out so the hooked tabs slide on on the main piece running along the bottom and below the silver seat position cover. When this piece comes off, there are 2 torx screws that can be loosened to help get the next piece off. On my GL, 1 of these torx can be loosened and removed, the other is so darn tight I can't get it to budget (ideas here would be great!).

I'll try a wedge tool on the silver piece. Does it open up anything else to help get the surrounding pieces off?

My strategy is the same as yours...once I get all these damn plastic pieces off!!

Peace...Away...