GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Best Aftermarket Radio/Stereo for GL450 2008

Old 10-18-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by RenierVanRooyen
I was able to get the AVIN HU to work with the OEM Antenna..
Were you able to power the OEM antenna amp? If so, how did you do that?
Old 10-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450
Originally Posted by RenierVanRooyen
I was able to get the AVIN HU to work with the OEM Antenna.
The OEM antenna connector is a white double FAKRA connector. Only one of the two terminals is present in the HU connector. It drops one cable. So I swapped the two cables in the connector.
The radio is working perfectly.
I assume that either the one cable is dead or used for other FM ranges or something.

That's great news. I'll take another look at mine. Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 10:15 AM

2012 GL450
Originally Posted by StephenPage
That's great news. I'll take another look at mine. Thanks
I'm curious what year your ride is. I looked at my 2012 and there's no double connector like your picture. My white connectors are plugged into each other. One end disappears into the dash and looks like it could be shielded, so probably is to the antenna. The other end connects to something similar to a DB9 plug with a locking tab which connected to the old HU.

Last edited by StephenPage; 10-18-2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: update pic
Old 10-18-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350 CDI 2009
Originally Posted by PeterGL
Were you able to power the OEM antenna amp? If so, how did you do that?
I did not do any thing to power the antenna amplifier. It seemed like the CAN BUS took car of that. In my GL there is no terminal in the Quadlock to power antenna or amp. That is why the AVIN recommendation on the AMP CON to ANT wire connection is not relevant.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2023 GLE63s Coupe | Previous: Mercedes E350, E63, GL450, GLE 450, GT63
AVIN Install - 2012 GL

Just finished an AVIN unit install on a 2012 GL. Similar to previous comments the anti looks nice; however, I am seeing several issues to conclude those of the previous member and a few others.

1) No install or instruction manual provided.
2) Customer support issues - if you receive a response it may take days - problematic when you have a vehicle disassembled.
3) Similar radio reception issue as previously posted.
4) Similar issue with WiFi as previously mentioned - Mirroring from the i-phone doesn’t work
5) Some sound distribution concerns - rear speakers
6) Increased battery drain

Happy to part ways with the unit if anyone is interested in it for a fraction os what I paid. I have had the unit for just over a week.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
The other that have it seem to like it? Maybe you just need to keep it for another few weeks and get used to it? OR tell the factory yours may be defective or need a software update.

Installed pics??
Old 10-23-2018, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do they have these for the GL?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332850611668
Old 10-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GL550
I'm curious what year your ride is. I looked at my 2012 and there's no double connector like your picture. My white connectors are plugged into each other. One end disappears into the dash and looks like it could be shielded, so probably is to the antenna. The other end connects to something similar to a DB9 plug with a locking tab which connected to the old HU.

I have the same fakra cable like yours on my 2012 GL550, I saw a cable on Amazon I'm waiting to receive in the mail that's a 2-1 connector. I'm gonna try and see if that works.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 GL550 ; 2005 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by mlukens
Just finished an AVIN unit install on a 2012 GL. Similar to previous comments the anti looks nice; however, I am seeing several issues to conclude those of the previous member and a few others.

1) No install or instruction manual provided.
2) Customer support issues - if you receive a response it may take days - problematic when you have a vehicle disassembled.
3) Similar radio reception issue as previously posted.
4) Similar issue with WiFi as previously mentioned - Mirroring from the i-phone doesn’t work
5) Some sound distribution concerns - rear speakers
6) Increased battery drain

Happy to part ways with the unit if anyone is interested in it for a fraction os what I paid. I have had the unit for just over a week.
Jason,
I thought that I was the only one with the battery drain issue after installing this unit. I had to jump my truck after not starting it for a day. After not starting it for 2 days my battery was completely drained so, I thought that I may need a new battery. I took my battery to AutoZone and had them check it for me, they said that my battery was fine. I just came back from vacation and again, my battery is completely drained. All of this started after installing this unit. Also, I was never able to get the mic to work, even with the microphone adapter and the radio reception is horrendous at best.

Yes it looks nice but, leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by rich30769; 10-23-2018 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Adding more content
The following 2 users liked this post by rich30769:
funkypost (12-30-2019), Timbuktoo (04-11-2021)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Jason B
Do they have these for the GL?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332850611668
They have a similar one from Alpine called the Alpine "halo" or something like that. It's about $800 just for the head unit itself without installation. I think someone posted it on this thread a few pages back or on another thread.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:58 PM

Halo9

Seriously considering taking the $500 loss and getting the Halo9.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by Jason B
The other that have it seem to like it? Maybe you just need to keep it for another few weeks and get used to it? OR tell the factory yours may be defective or need a software update.

Installed pics??
I have one installed on my GL as well and I won't lie and say I 100% love it because it does have its quirks. But I do like it better than the factory unit just because it gives the car an update.

I've had it for about a month now and here's some of the issues I've had:
- sound went out one time and I dunno what happened. I emailed Avinusa and they told me to check connections. The incident happened overnight, and the next morning when I was about to take the head unit back out, the sound was back. Hasn't happened again since

- android error, and the whole unit wouldn't work. Just a black screen that says something like operating system error, need to reset...something like that. I used a pin to push the reset button and unit was up and running. Hasn't happened again.

- no fm Radio signal. Doesn't really bother me because I use wifi Hotspot to stream Spotify. I did purchase an adapter cable that I'm gonna try out to see if I get radio reception. Still waiting for it in the mail.

Things I love about the unit:
- updated look for our car
- I use my Hotspot to stream wifi. I found that my android phone Hotspot works a bit better than my wife's iPhone Hotspot...hers disconnect intermittently. I did have an iPhone before and I didn't have the same issue, so it may be her phone that's the problem.
- I downloaded "car launcher" on play store. It's a launcher that makes the android unit interface look more factory instead of the standard interface the head unit comes with.
- I use waze, Google maps, YouTube, Spotify, and a bunch of other apps that I find useful for the car.
- I purchased an apple car play dongle which the wife uses for her iPhone. Works perfect.

I'm hoping I don't have any more issues with it because I love it without the issues, but it is troublesome when you get them.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:11 PM

Have you had any battery drain issues at all? I'm sad and glad to see that I am not the only one with the battery issue.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for this post. If you can take some pics, please do.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 PM

This probably means nothing to their customer service but, I just sent AVINUSA an email explaining to them how disappointing it is that their customer service is lacking to non existent, that I am removing this HU because it isn't worth the aggravation with the bluetooth phone mic not working, or the radio reception being horrible. The fact that I never know if my truck will start in the morning due to this unit draining my battery and other things.

I don't expect them to refund, or even offer a refund but, I needed them to know that their product needs a lot of work. I'm sure that they will get a big laugh out of the email but, they need to know.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rich30769
This probably means nothing to their customer service but, I just sent AVINUSA an email explaining to them how disappointing it is that their customer service is lacking to non existent, that I am removing this HU because it isn't worth the aggravation with the bluetooth phone mic not working, or the radio reception being horrible. The fact that I never know if my truck will start in the morning due to this unit draining my battery and other things.

I don't expect them to refund, or even offer a refund but, I needed them to know that their product needs a lot of work. I'm sure that they will get a big laugh out of the email but, they need to know.
Listen, I know you're upset etc, but that is the only way to get things fixed. You should LINK THEM TO THIS FORUM, so they can see real people and the issues. Stuff like that will get them to fix and improve firmware and the units. If no one complains, they don't always know with newer items like this!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 PM

JasonB,

Great idea, I will do that right now.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:04 AM

GL550
Sucks for some who have had bad experiences with it. When I had issues with the head unit, I would email Avinusa or Tommy from Avinusa, and I would usually get a reply within a day. It looks like the unit is hit or miss. Like I said I've had some issues with it, which seem to have been fixed after some time. I haven't had issues with battery draining.

Here are some pics I took tonight. I downloaded the "Car Launcher" app on Google play store. I like it better than the factory android set up.

Avinusa android head unit with \"Car Launcher" app

The following users liked this post:
funkypost (12-30-2019)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Current: 2023 GLE63s Coupe | Previous: Mercedes E350, E63, GL450, GLE 450, GT63
Appreciate the dialog here and feel a bit better that others are seeing issues similar to my own.

I agree that at times we all see technical issues with products like this. And over time hopefully they continue to get better with feedback.

In this case it has been days without a response from Avin (emails, etc.). The car battery drains overnight along with several other issues. While I am willing to work through problems, you cannot be expected to wait days for responses as the car is not usable in the interim.

Unit has tremendous potential and I love the look of the unit in the GL. Just not able to wait for days on end/going on a week to receive support. Sadly, I will move moving on the the Alpine Halo or similar to meet the need. I have a barely used Avin unit if anyone interested :-)

Best wishes!

Last edited by mar350; 10-30-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM

ACC and the B+ wires...

Good afternoon everyone, I am trying to switch some wires around in the hopes that it may solve my battery drain issue. As per the instructions that were given to me through email (so glad that I kept that email, this way they can't deny these instructions), both the B+ wire(yellow) and the ACC wire(red) were supposed to be connected to the red wire coming from the trucks connector. Now, at the moment that is how I have mine wired BUT, and I knew this, the head unit will always be powered, creating that constant draw, killing my battery. For those with OUT battery drain issues, how do you have your wires connected? I'm really getting pissed off with this radio.

Ok, I ended up connecting the ACC wire to the cigarette lighter, so far no more power drain.

Last edited by rich30769; 10-26-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Thanks, Stephen, for pointing me toward this blog. Did you ever find the settings for the rear camera guidelines? They're in the settings somewhere.

I recently bought a 2012 GL450 and upgraded the radio to the Avin 9".
My initial thoughts:
- Price was great -- $389. Microphone and rear camera connectors added $10 each and worked fine. Rear view is very clear with the factory camera, especially after I wiped off the lens...
- Yep, no installation instructions, and their customer support is non-existent. They are obviously just reselling cheap Chinese parts and have no concern about how they work.
- Super easy to install. There are some great YouTube vids that show how to replace the radio, and after the first time jitters, I can do it now in about 10 minutes.
- Poor FM reception. I'm considering the FM antenna, but I see other options in this thread. I'll try to figure out how to use them.

I don't have a lot of experience with car radios (never needed to replace one), so I don't know what some of the wires are for. I don't think my car has an upgraded stereo system, so what is the fiber optic cable for? Also, there's another plug from the car that doesn't connect to anything -- what's it for?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM

2012 GL450
You might want to look under the drivers seat to see if you have the HK amp. The fiber connector should run to the amp and the other end to the HU. I believe you'll need the AVIN adapter shown on their web site to make it work though. I don't have the amp, so not 100% certain. As far as the other connector, somewhere in the thread is wiring schematic which illustrates the pin out for that.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So, how's everyone's radio working>?

And what if you have the REAR SEAT MONITORS from mercedes???
Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GL450
You might want to look under the drivers seat to see if you have the HK amp. The fiber connector should run to the amp and the other end to the HU. I believe you'll need the AVIN adapter shown on their web site to make it work though. I don't have the amp, so not 100% certain. As far as the other connector, somewhere in the thread is wiring schematic which illustrates the pin out for that.
Check underneath the rear bench and in the trunk behind the taillights compartment to be safe. Sometimes it’s not placed underneath the bench.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I figured I'd ask there here.. .I have factory radio still in 2012 GL. The Sat radio is intermittant and for the last few months can't get any signal.... The dealer said it's common for this to happen as the wire to the XM antenna breaks at the rear hatch. They want over $1,300 to replace it. It's involved, and means removing headliner, etc, and getting in the hatch, everything gets ripped apart.

Under the rear sear you can see the factory XM brain box with the connection to the rear antenna. Can't I just but an aftermarket antenna that I can mount inside the vehicle to fix this??? Looking for advice or a link to something I can use. You'd think today they'd have an antenna that can work from inside the car. Don't want to drill or fish wires through holes to the outside of the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Radio/Stereo for GL450 2008