GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Best Aftermarket Radio/Stereo for GL450 2008

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
New to me 12 GL550 with bluetooth problems

Hey guys, recently purchased a 2012 GL 550 with the HK sound and rear entertainment. I'm having bluetooth problems, I can receive a call and can talk for a few seconds, but then it cuts out. Is this a common problem? Can the bluetooth be dated? I'm using a Samsung s9.

I'm thinking of getting a bluetooth adapter for the iPod plug in the glove box that can play music and can possibly receive calls as well, is there such a product that can do both?

2nd option is to get a head unit. The Avin looks nice even with all the wrinkles, Onyx mentioned an adapter https://www.spiralaudio.com/index.ph...roduct_id=1005 , that he used for the Alpine Halo 9 install (also considering the Halo) wondering if this would help with some of the shortcomings of the Avin. The adapter site says it has the fiber optic connections for the amp, fm antenna and gps. It also says its compatible with Android and aftermarket radios.

Appreciate any help and advice!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 GL550 ; 2005 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by Jason B
So, how's everyone's radio working>?

And what if you have the REAR SEAT MONITORS from mercedes???
Radio reception is still horrible AND sometimes trying to turn the wifi on is a royal pain. The wifi symbol stays darkened with a line through it for a good while even after turning the phone's hotspot on and tapping the wifi symbol on the radio. Every now and again it will connect right away but, mostly I've noticed that it has been taking a long time to connect lately. I haven't even tried using the rear monitors. How is yours working?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by rich30769
Radio reception is still horrible AND sometimes trying to turn the wifi on is a royal pain. The wifi symbol stays darkened with a line through it for a good while even after turning the phone's hotspot on and tapping the wifi symbol on the radio. Every now and again it will connect right away but, mostly I've noticed that it has been taking a long time to connect lately. I haven't even tried using the rear monitors. How is yours working?
thanks. I have the factory setup still and it works great and I like the built in music register which I think it 7 gigs of hard drive space. Guess the Arvin doesn’t have that?

what I don’t like is the factory satellite antenna is intermittent so I have to address that as it’s driving me crazy
Old 11-29-2018, 11:29 AM

The AVIN has 3 USB inputs which you can plug your thumb drive into so, it becomes way more than 7gb of space. I currently have a 64gb thumb drive plugged into 1 of them. There is no satellite at all with the AVIN radio
Old 12-01-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL 450
Just Installed Kenwood DDX6705S

Greetings folks! I've been stalking this thread for about a month now and finally pulled the trigger on upgrading the factory unit in our 2010 GL 450 w/Harmon Kardon.

We were having major issues with the factory unit: Random Bluetooth disconnections (My wife has an iPhone8 and I have a Note 8 - maybe to new for the 8-year old factory receiver), DVD's stuck in the 6-disc changer and random reboots.

We purchased the Kenwood DDX6705S to get Apple Carplay and Android Auto. We also heavily use XM Radio since road trips often leave us without cell service to stream music. I wanted the stability of a big name aftermarket receiver instead of a purely Android-based receiver (I might regret it, but time will tell). I LOVE Androids, but when it comes to a receiver in our vehicles, I prefer consistency.

Now to the meat of the post:

I found several resources to help me with the install, the best being Crutchfield. Their customer service and knowledge are unmatched.

Supplies:

From Crutchfield: From Amazon:
  • 6 inch RG316 RCA Male to Fakra Neutral Male Pigtail Jumper RF coaxial cable 50 ohm Quick USA Shipping: http://a.co/d/0lsW8zx -- To retain factory backup camera functionality. It works perfectly, including the parking grid overlay.
  • SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio with Free 3 Months Satellite and Streaming Service: http://a.co/d/j4iKSqn
  • 6Pcs Car Trim Removal Tools Kit,Auot Door Panel Upholstery Engine Cover Fender Clips Repair Tools Installer Clip Plier/Fastener Tools: http://a.co/d/h29cNmL
  • Maestro HRN-ANT-SAT1 FAKRA to Aftermarket SMB Satellite Radio Antenna Adaptor: http://a.co/d/gWGKdEN -- This didn't work since the factory XM Antenna actually connects to the receiver under the driver-side rear passenger seat. There are several options for Fakra extension cables on Amazon, but I wanted to finish the install today, so I used the antenna that came with the SiriusSM SXV300. To avoid running the new antenna to the outside of the vehicle, I placed it in the front corner of the dash. See the pic below.
Avin:
  • Factory Bluetooth Microphone Adapter - Mercedes / VW / Porsche / Audi: https://avinusa.com/factory-bluetoot...sche-audi.html -- This didn't work for me although I see several people saying it does for them. As i mentioned, we had been having issues with the factory bluetooth so its likely that the factory microphone cable is busted. I used the Kenwood microphone and placed it near the driver-side visor.
YouTube Videos:
How to remove the wood trim and factory radio, as well as what colors the fakra cables are:

Things to know:
We have a Harmon Kardon system with the rear entertainment system. One thing to note about an aftermarket receiver is that a dvd played in the front receiver will not display on the rear monitors. The Kenwood receiver has a Video and Audio out jack, but there is nothing behind the dash to connect them to. At this point, I have no idea what adapter could help channel video to the rear monitors. My next project will be to replace the rear monitors anyway. If anyone knows good steps for that, let me know.

The rear DVD player located on the backside of the center console will still play on the rear screens. But like it was stated by Crutchfield, the audio will only play through the headphones. We have three kids + Two Headsets = Arguments and fighting. So, does anyone know if/where we can buy an extra headset that will connect to the monitors?

To watch a dvd on the Kenwood receiver, we have to engage the parking brake -- You read that right. Not only does the truck have to be in Park, but the actual parking brake also has to be engaged as well. Weird, but O Well.

Here are several pics of the work:

Use a T20 driver to remove this first. Watch the YouTube Video for more instructions.

Pry gently to release the lower part of the panel on each side. After that, it slides down and out.

Disconnect these from the back of the factory receiver. Again, watch the YouTube video for specifics.
As you can see, the previous owners left some old parking passes and business cards behind. They are from Cali. We bought the truck in Houston, Tx 3 years ago and we now live in IL. Crazy how these vehicles find their way around the country.

Everything is cleared out and ready for the Kenwood.
The Mustard yellow connector was the factory bluetooth microphone. The Avin adapter didn't work for me, so I used the Kenwood mic instead.
The Blue was likely GPS. I didn't use it since the new receiver has CarPlay/Android Auto.
The Green was the rearview camera. The adapter from Amazon worked like a charm!
The whiteish-beige was the factory antenna for AM/FM Radio. The adapter from Crutchfield works like a charm.
At the top right of the quadlock harness was the fiber connection. It releases from the harness and connects to the MOST adapter.

The Finished Product:

Buttoned-up and clean.

Yikes - time to replace the pedals with AMG's - Who has good instructions??
I love the LED lights (Yorkim 6418 LED Bulb, Canbus Error Free 36mm Festoon LED Bulb 6500K White Super Bright 400 Lumens 12-SMD 4014 Chipsets, 6411 LED Bulb, 6413 Bulb, 6418 Bulb, DE3423 Bulb, C5W LED Bulb, Pack of 4: http://a.co/d/a3Ia3uu) I recently placed throughout the truck, but those pedals are hideous!!

The XM Antenna is now in the top passenger corner. All cables to it are hidden to keep things clean.
Disregard the AUX cable on the floor. We won't be needing that anymore.

I hope this post helps!

-Mel

NOTE: I have no affiliation with any of the vendors, product manufactures or videos listed.

Last edited by DrMel; 12-01-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer
Old 12-01-2018, 11:15 PM

2010 GL 450
Originally Posted by JesusV
Hey guys, recently purchased a 2012 GL 550 with the HK sound and rear entertainment. I'm having bluetooth problems, I can receive a call and can talk for a few seconds, but then it cuts out. Is this a common problem? Can the bluetooth be dated? I'm using a Samsung s9.

I'm thinking of getting a bluetooth adapter for the iPod plug in the glove box that can play music and can possibly receive calls as well, is there such a product that can do both?

2nd option is to get a head unit. The Avin looks nice even with all the wrinkles, Onyx mentioned an adapter https://www.spiralaudio.com/index.ph...roduct_id=1005 , that he used for the Alpine Halo 9 install (also considering the Halo) wondering if this would help with some of the shortcomings of the Avin. The adapter site says it has the fiber optic connections for the amp, fm antenna and gps. It also says its compatible with Android and aftermarket radios.

Appreciate any help and advice!
We stared having the same problem with our newer phones so replaced the head unit.

-Mel
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 PM

Hi DrMel,

The M.O.S.T adapter that came with the AVIN unit works fine with the fiber optics, it seems as some of us are mainly having issues with radio reception and getting our phones to work through bluetooth. I am not sure what this other adapter would, or wouldn't fix... As for the Halo9, I considered removing this AVIN and purchasing that but, it's crazy that you have to spend $800 for the unit alone and THEN also have to purchase other components to get it ro work with our trucks.
The following users liked this post:
funkypost (12-30-2019)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by DrMel
We stared having the same problem with our newer phones so replaced the head unit.

-Mel
It may have been the signal of the two calls that dropped out, both were in the outskirts of KS. Bluetooth is now working, very clear too.

Originally Posted by rich30769
Hi DrMel,

The M.O.S.T adapter that came with the AVIN unit works fine with the fiber optics, it seems as some of us are mainly having issues with radio reception and getting our phones to work through bluetooth. I am not sure what this other adapter would, or wouldn't fix... As for the Halo9, I considered removing this AVIN and purchasing that but, it's crazy that you have to spend $800 for the unit alone and THEN also have to purchase other components to get it ro work with our trucks.
Both options have me on the fence. Now that I've confirmed my bluetooth phone is working properly, the only other reason for an upgrade was the capabilities of playing my personal playlists and/or bluetooth audio.

To fill the music void, I ended up connecting an ipod7 via the Mdi cable and a 30pin to Lightning adapter. I like making my own playlists on itunes and the Command interface works very well for my needs. I may opt to buy the Coolstream Car bluetooth adapter later in the future.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:52 AM

FWIW, both Google Maps and Waze work great on the AVIN for navigation. I'm sure that they would work perfectly on any other Android based system also.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by wease206

yoooooo this looks dope...you put an ipad mini in there...super cool!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by DrMel

-Mel
We are having bluetooth issues with the factory unit as well. A couple of questions about going the Kenwood route.

1. What happens to the analog clock in the dash with removing the unit. Can it still be set?
2. Do you still see the track playing in the dash display?
3. Any luck getting the sound from the rear seat screens to play over the speakers.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 PM

2010 GL 450
Originally Posted by bluegl350
We are having bluetooth issues with the factory unit as well. A couple of questions about going the Kenwood route.

1. What happens to the analog clock in the dash with removing the unit. Can it still be set?
2. Do you still see the track playing in the dash display?
3. Any luck getting the sound from the rear seat screens to play over the speakers.

Thanks!

1. No, we cannot set the analog dash clock anymore. We never used it, so no biggie for us.
2. No, the dash does not say the track that's playojg. We usually keep the dash on the Fuel Range setting anyway. There is supposedly a wiring harness from
3. This isn't possible since there is no physical wire coming from the rear entertainment system into the aftermarket harness. To my knowledge, there is no wiring harness that can do it.

I think there are several limitations to installing any aftermarket receiver. It all depends on what you're willing to give up.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:27 AM

2011 gl350
Smile avin head unit

Hi there,

If this is still available, what are you looking to get for it?

Cheers,

Grahame.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Will the alpine unit let you keep the rear screens working?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450
Wifi

Hey gents, AT&T was charging me nearly $30 per month for my AirCard so I could have WIFI on the head unit. However, they recently released a cheaper alternative that works great and includes some other features. This device is $20 per month for unlimited data.

https://www.att.com/devices/harman/spark.html?utm_source=Harman+ATT+-+Master+-+Dec+11+2018&utm_campaign=ad8dc26a38-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_12_11_12_05&utm_medium=email&u tm_term=0_94d1ff3184-ad8dc26a38-204815865#sku=sku8900265
Old 12-11-2018, 09:00 AM

I believe it does, but sound will only be heard through the headphones.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you guys tell me if a XM aftermarket antenna will plug into the Mercedes factory XM brain box?

Currently have factory radio and want to bypass the factory antenna for an inside mount.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G550
Alpine halo9 and AVIN

I just purchased an Alpine Halo9 and the AVIN MOST fiber optic adapter for my 2012 G550. Does anyone know what other adapters I’ll need? Will I need an adapter for the factory backup camera? Any others?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
GL 550
Bump....

@PopoySD Did get your cable, and did it work? Can you send a link? I did notice however, even though the AVIN had the double fakra connector, only the bottom one did anything, the top plug seems to be just plastic.

Wonder if you could just get an adapter w/o the 2-1?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2019, 07:21 PM

2007 Mercedes Benz GL 450
Connecting the Avin Factory backup camera

I need help in making my camera work. I connected the adapter I purchased when I ordered the radio. Everything work except the came gives me a yellow triangle. Am I missing any connections? I picture of how to connect the camera will help.

Blue Antenna power going to PIN 13.

Car quadlock PIN 13 is empty
  • Altough you can plug in the dual white FAKRA antenna cable the AVIN conenctor has only one terminal wired. It means one of the antenna cables end no where.

Two antenna cables in the double FAKRA connector. But only one has terminal in AVIN
  • Can not set OEM clock: I have found a thread giving you options to set the OEM clock: You can unplug and re-insert the instrument cluster fuse at 12:00 or you can change the instrument cluster configuration to work without NAvigation system. This is the thread I found: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-solution.html
  • On my car the OEM microphone does not have a FAKRA connector. The microphone is part of the harness in the Quadlock connector. I made a simple connection between AVIN Quadlock and the MIC in.

• Connection between AVIN Quadlock and Mic input to connect OEM mic to AVIN
[/QUOTE]
Old 08-17-2019, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

All those pics and no INSTALLED PICS?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:00 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
I had a blank cam screen with the caution symbol too until I connected the right cables. For the AVIN the cable labeled Rear Cam connected to the green Fakra using the adapter is what worked for me.

Did you find a solution to the FM antenna connection? I had the same issue with blue/white Ant power wire to pin 13 going nowhere in the second quadlock connector. On the stock HU if I disconnect all the antennas and harnesses with exception of the QuadLock the FM still works. Not sure why. Thanks for any insight.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by yena
Hi All,

What is the best after market stereo/radio for GL450 2008. it would be great if it has Bluetooth and integration for a backup camera.

I have been searching and found few options on eBay. mostly they are android so am not sure how reliable and good these options are.

1- Hizpo Android 7.1 Quad Core
2- 4-Core Android 7.1 Car

any reliable better options ?

Thanks
I have a pioneer w4400nex
Old 10-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL450
I've had the AVINUSA unit for awhile now and satisfied. It supports WiFI, Bluetooth, camera etc.
The following users liked this post:
rich30769 (10-24-2019)
Old 03-18-2020, 03:07 PM

MB GL450
Wouldn't mess with car toys they are just so generic and incompetents.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best Aftermarket Radio/Stereo for GL450 2008