GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GL350 2013, Sprinter 2016
ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative

Hi guys, I'm loosing my mind on this one.
Last Friday my suspension air compressor failed.
Had to jack one side to get an access to remove plastic covers.
Was able to get the compressor on Monday only.
Car was jacked up for 2 days with wheels turned to one direction.
Replaced the compressor, Performed all airmatic tests vis STAR, no leaks, all working fine.
But now, car is shutting off after 20sec of run with ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative.
The Star is showing good reading on steering wheel sensor.
Battery voltage seems to be dropping to 11.5v in when STAR is connected.
Kept it over night on 2A charge, no difference.
Any ideas? Possible battery issue?
Old 10-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
No big deal---you need a new battery!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300 4 matic
Run flat indicator inoperable comes on; 2018 GLC 300 SUV ; 4 matic; any specific cause; have booked apt at dealer to check
Old 10-03-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
No big deal---you need a new battery!

Thanks Plutoe for a quick reply.
Installed a new battery.
Same issue.
Shutting down in less then 20sec
Voltage goes up to 13.4v before shutting down.
RPM sensors all 4 good readings.
No active alarms related to any sensors.

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by strok; 10-03-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 GL320
wow.., thats a weird one, If the Star system does not pin point the issue, I am not sure what will. I thought STAR was the mother of all scanners!? .. btw, how do you have access to such scanner anyway? good luck, keep us posted! sorry can't offer much help, yet,... I replaced my compressor but did not have a single issue. I remember having to disconnect the battery prior, you did that ,right?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Fixed the issue

Found the problem.
I'm new to the STAR
was checking alarms by components instead of printing a report.
After printing the report found:
ALARM: 903C Component F58kH (Circuit 15 relay) is defective or missing, or the feed line has Open circuit.
The fuse box SAM was burned.
Took it apart, soldered burned line on the relay board.
Engine runs, alarms gone
Hope it will help someone, will post pictures later.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:37 PM

See attached images. Had to make a cut in a bridge to get an access to repair the defective line.
Attached Thumbnails ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative-img_20171004_235700.jpg   ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative-img_20171005_070243.jpg   ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative-img_20171005_063535.jpg   ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative-img_20171005_071433.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by strok
See attached images. Had to make a cut in a bridge to get an access to repair the defective line.
Awesome fix! Will you be my mechanic!?!?!?!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by StradaRedlands
Will you be my mechanic!?!?!?!
))) Hardly keeping up with my own, after passing 200k km it almost became a full time job.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 GL320
Found the problem.
I'm new to the STAR
What is the most affordable place to buy a STAR diagnostic tool?, how much is it, It looks like it may be worth it, I can't imagine any other scanner telling you such details. Can your Stat diagnostic tool actuate, for example the ABS module, or that is still only done at the dealer? I guess I don't know if there are Stat versions/types out there, one that might be better than others..., I once saw some Star that just have a laptop interface, not sure if they are any good. . thanks
Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by johny75
What is the most affordable place to buy a STAR diagnostic tool?, how much is it, It looks like it may be worth it, I can't imagine any other scanner telling you such details. Can your Stat diagnostic tool actuate, for example the ABS module, or that is still only done at the dealer? I guess I don't know if there are Stat versions/types out there, one that might be better than others..., I once saw some Star that just have a laptop interface, not sure if they are any good. . thanks
Tons of options. Ebay etc. I was able to find a local guy via Kijiji. Most of options come with an old Dell laptop (two models).
My guy had a version adapted to newer powerful computer. (Extra $300) (100% worth it)
the total cost was around $1400 CAD.
I think I got my $ back on first two repairs.
The software/hardware is very powerful.
You can read all sensors in real time + multiple test options, calibrations, adaptations etc.
I'll give you an example.
Two years ago I've replaced an airfilter on my Sprinter. Sprinter came up with a defective airflow sensor. The alarm won't clear. Tried a sensor from another Sprinter, same result.
Sprinter stuck in LIMP mode and almost impossible to drive.
Found an information on this forum that possibly after changing an airfilter I'll have to do an adaptation.
Came to local MB, asked to do an adaptation.
They said that I'm wrong and my Sprinter needs a $400 sensor. I insisted. They said ok, but if you are wrong we going to charge you anyway for 1h of labor ($160)
One hour later I was told that i was right, and replacement of air filter cost me only extra $160.
First thing I did, when I got the Star, checked if i can do adaptations ))) and Yes, the air filter adaptation was a last option on the adaptation list )))
The following 2 users liked this post by strok:
johny75 (10-06-2017), StradaRedlands (10-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 AM

2016 Smart fortwo - Edition #1
UPDATE: 4/6/2018

The dealership called and said my horn is going off from the hood not being closed properly. I haven't opened my hood in months!
The A/C and radio are running as specs say they should.

So what do I do no that I feel SO unsafe in this Smartcar and I am in a lease?! I have 22 payments left on the lease.

HELP! ANYONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
lediluck (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 AM

smart for four
Originally Posted by hatbeach
UPDATE: 4/6/2018

The dealership called and said my horn is going off from the hood not being closed properly. I haven't opened my hood in months!
The A/C and radio are running as specs say they should.

So what do I do no that I feel SO unsafe in this Smartcar and I am in a lease?! I have 22 payments left on the lease.

HELP! ANYONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Dear hatbeach, how was your situation solved? I drive with Smart for four bought in May 2017 and I have just the same story that you describe here: https://mbworld.org/forums/smart-car...operative.html ! On a certain moment all systems of my car seem not to work anymore, I feel it first that I can do nothing with my car and then I get messages one after another one on the screen: car system inoperative, brake system inoperative, hill assist inoperative, back assit inoperative and so further. I feel me very, VERY unsafe on the road, and I drive with 2 children!
In December 2018 I went to the garage and they said that they only get a fault message while testing that my gas pedal is not in orde. So, they changed it. But 2 days ago, in January 2019 it happened again! And it happened 2 times during one morning! I felt me very unsafe, I was with 2 children in the car, I do not know how I could stop it and park (I was on a small road). I called to the service and they came to pick the car up, they saw directly orange sign of the motor on the screen - so, they said, it's something wrong with electronics of the motor... But when they brought the car to the garage, the sign of the motor disappeared and they tested my car for 2 days and DID NOT FIND THE PROBLEM! They offered me to come to pick it up and to drive with it further, but I am afraid to drive with such an unsafe car!

How does it go with your car? Please pm me or answer this message!
It seems that in the garage they do not believe me that I have had such an experience already for some times!

thank you, waiting for your response.

PS: the problem disappears indeed when I turn the keys off, and restart the car. But I cannot do it constantly, when I am driving... I am afraid to take the highway for this reason, but even on small roads it's dangerous to drive like this!

Last edited by lediluck; 01-09-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: I want to add something
Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 PM

E350 coupe
Car went stalled, run flat and esp inoperative showing up

Hi, I am a newbie here and my name is Darren. I was driving my 350e (2011) coupe earlier and suddenly went stalled. ESP and run flat inoperative start showing up. Try to start the engine but failed and the radiator fan start running fast. May I know what's the caused of that? Any information and advice will be much appreciated.. Thank you guys
Old 06-18-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
Hi guys, I'm loosing my mind on this one.
Last Friday my suspension air compressor failed.
Had to jack one side to get an access to remove plastic covers.
Was able to get the compressor on Monday only.
Car was jacked up for 2 days with wheels turned to one direction.
Replaced the compressor, Performed all airmatic tests vis STAR, no leaks, all working fine.
But now, car is shutting off after 20sec of run with ABS, ESP Inoperative, run flat indicator inoperative.
The Star is showing good reading on steering wheel sensor.
Battery voltage seems to be dropping to 11.5v in when STAR is connected.
Kept it over night on 2A charge, no difference.
Any ideas? Possible battery issue?
I am having the same issue. I scanned it with mbII and its telling me its the right front wheel speed sensor. I just changed the front bearings and I am sure the front right bearing is caput again. After reading that there is multiple failures with NTN bearings I am sure I would have to replace it again.

So check the speed sensors - clean them or maybe the bearings are gone.
However, I have found out that replicating the problem wont lead to the same issue.

Last edited by Dinismb; 06-18-2019 at 06:34 PM.