GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL350 Crankshaft Position Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2017 | 11:14 AM

GL350
GL350 Crankshaft Position Sensor Location

Hello Folks,

I will appreciate if anyone can post a picture of the location of the crankshaft position sensor? took down the wheel and fender based on one thread but could not see it. Still blocked.

Thanks and have a nice day!
Old 11-14-2017 | 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
Look to the rear of the engine. Then shine a torch between the engine and fire wall and look on the top of the bell housing
Old 11-17-2017 | 08:07 PM
Veteran: Navy

'07 S65 '05 SL65 '07 GL450 '03 SL55 (sold)
There is a good write up on the other forum here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/#/topics/1654428

From what he said it is a little involved getting to it and will require removing some items to get to it. Looks like he had success. Let us know how yours turns out.
Old 11-18-2017 | 11:10 AM

GL350
Update for the fix. Sorry that no pics taken during the process.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor can be accessed from the bottom, very easy to see once your are looking up, at the back of the engine on the driver side near the center. I do NOT think you can reach it from the top as it is deep and blocked by the engine itself.

It is protected by a metal housing which needs to be removed before the sensor can be taken out. The bolt is torx 6, hidden behind the housing. Once the housing is removed, disconnect the wire, unplug and sensor (secured by another torx 6), replace it, and put things back.

Car now runs great.
Old 11-20-2017 | 09:49 PM

X166 gls450 2017
what were the symptoms that lead to bad CPS ? failure to start I'm guessing ? Reason I ask I want to do preventative maint before the long trip ahead,
also at what mileage did it fail

thanks
Old 09-26-2020 | 06:14 PM

BMW 530xi
The Cranks position sensor (CPK) is directly up from the front most junction of the front driveshaft on the drivers side of the bell housing. It is encased in a cube-like metal brack/heat shield. You'll need a torx E8 for both the heat shield cago bolt (there is only 1) and the sensor bolt istelf, there is only one bolt holding it in. You will access this from underneaht the vehicle of course, and there is no need to jack it up. I had plenty of clearance while sliding under it on my sparkly clean epoxy floors. Use a small flex head 1/4 inch drive ratchet and small wobbly 3 cm extension to make the job go smoohtly. Piece of cake. I was tempted to take video, but truly this repair is so easy, it is almost embarrassing to teach it. Plenty of room and access. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-26-2020)
Old 01-12-2024 | 01:01 PM

GLK350 & GL63 AMG
Hopefully people are still monitoring this thread.

Changing the crank position sensor on a 2011 GLK350 4Matic.

If I read correctly above, people did this from underneath? Does anyone have instructions or a video?

Our daughter is an ASE certified mechanic and the procedure she pulled makes no sense.

I’ve searched for videos online and they are all a variation of the same thing, so I assumed the GLK would be as well, but no luck. I simply cannot find the actual sensor! I understand it is on the driver’s side where the engine meets the transmission, but I just don’t see it.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2024 | 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by MB_KC
Hopefully people are still monitoring this thread.

Changing the crank position sensor on a 2011 GLK350 4Matic.

If I read correctly above, people did this from underneath? Does anyone have instructions or a video?

Our daughter is an ASE certified mechanic and the procedure she pulled makes no sense.

I’ve searched for videos online and they are all a variation of the same thing, so I assumed the GLK would be as well, but no luck. I simply cannot find the actual sensor! I understand it is on the driver’s side where the engine meets the transmission, but I just don’t see it.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
I haven't done it, but reading through a couple of responses above, it looks pretty straight forward? Inside a metal housing? I bet once your daughter gets under there and looks she'll figure it out.
Old 01-12-2024 | 01:48 PM

GLK350 & GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by DennisG01
I haven't done it, but reading through a couple of responses above, it looks pretty straight forward? Inside a metal housing? I bet once your daughter gets under there and looks she'll figure it out.
Our daughter would have it done it no time…if she wasn’t eight hours away!

I think it’s just a matter of me actually recognizing where it is. I did see a good tip on a video to use something (he used dumb-dumb) in your socket so that the bolt doesn’t fall into the engine compartment.