GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Power Steering Pump options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:42 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
BMW 335d
Power Steering Pump options

My 2008 GL450 steering has been gradually getting stiffer at idle only. As soon as you touch the throttle, plenty of steering assist. Fluid level is fine. I want to go ahead and change out the pump before it completely goes out. A quick search shows plenty of choices new and remanufactured. Cardone has a decently priced one. I've used their products before with no problem.

Which pump have y'all had good or bad luck with?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
make sure it is your pump that is re manufactured and therefore post you VIN for the correct part for a starting point!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by mefferso
My 2008 GL450 steering has been gradually getting stiffer at idle only. As soon as you touch the throttle, plenty of steering assist. Fluid level is fine. I want to go ahead and change out the pump before it completely goes out. A quick search shows plenty of choices new and remanufactured. Cardone has a decently priced one. I've used their products before with no problem.

Which pump have y'all had good or bad luck with?
I would begin by inspecting and replacing the accessory belt. If pump is not making noises it is probably good. It could be also your speed sensitive steering valve.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 PM

BMW 335d
Originally Posted by alx

I would begin by inspecting and replacing the accessory belt. If pump is not making noises it is probably good. It could be also your speed sensitive steering valve.

I left some details out. Yes, it is whining. The rack is just over a year old with less than 5k miles, so likely no the speed sensitive steering valve. The belt is relatively new as well. I'm fairly certain on my diagnosis and at its probably not a bad part to preventively change out at 100k anyways.

Hopefully a few people that have done the pump replacement will chime in with their experience doing this.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:12 AM

BMW 335d
I replaced the power steering pump this weekend and it completely fixed my stiff steering at idle issue. Its relatively simple to change out the pump but takes awhile do to working in a tight space with hidden bolt heads. Plus the bleeding procedure is slow too. I lucked out and was able to find a new LUK (OEM) pump on ebay for just over $200. Check out the normal price online and you'll see this was a STEAL of a deal!