GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Heavy Trailering w/ GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
Lightbulb Heavy Trailering w/ GL550

New GL550 owner. I will be picking up our new (to us) GL 550 in Seattle early next month. My plan is to tow a trailer back home to Alaska and had a few questions.

Has anyone done a significant amount of towing with their GL class SUV? The trailer I am hoping to bring back weighs 4,000 pounds. I know the tow rating is 7,500 on these with a max tongue weight of 600 pounds. I will be utilizing a load distribution hitch along with a trailer brake controller but wanted to hear experience with how the automatic suspension handles a load like this for a few thousand miles. Obviously, we will be driving it as carefully as possible, but is this a task that the GL550 is up for?
Old 06-23-2018, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
4,000lbs is a light load. You'll be fine.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
There are many great threads here on towing with a GL, including towing heavy loads. Suggest you use the search tool, find the threads, and then post there. Many of us tow boats, race cars, airstreams, etc.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:12 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by ddruker
There are many great threads here on towing with a GL, including towing heavy loads. Suggest you use the search tool, find the threads, and then post there. Many of us tow boats, race cars, airstreams, etc.
Yeah, I've done a fair bit of searching and didn't see anything regarding the specifics of someone having personal experience with a heavier load with decent tongue weight on it.

Moreover, the trailer salesman had some concerns about the tongue weight and the airbag suspension for that long of a trip. I'm thinking it was going to be fine since this whole shebang falls within the stated specs of the GL 550, but was searching for more insight from someone on here.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Your trailer salesperson is used to ‘merikun vehicles where anything heavy duty is an option. This is a Mercedes and they don’t operate that way.

BTW, since the Mercedes has electronic traction control, don’t worry about anything “anti sway” either. See Trailer Stability Control on page 6 here
https://ragtop.org/mbbrochures/2011/2011-GL-Class.pdf

Last edited by lkchris; 06-24-2018 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hunt_ak (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
Originally Posted by hunt_ak
Yeah, I've done a fair bit of searching and didn't see anything regarding the specifics of someone having personal experience with a heavier load with decent tongue weight on it.

Moreover, the trailer salesman had some concerns about the tongue weight and the airbag suspension for that long of a trip. I'm thinking it was going to be fine since this whole shebang falls within the stated specs of the GL 550, but was searching for more insight from someone on here.
I would start here...

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ory-hitch.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...g-your-gl.html
The following users liked this post:
hunt_ak (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:36 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by lkchris
Your trailer salesperson is used to ‘merikun vehicles where anything heavy duty is an option. This is a Mercedes and they don’t operate that way.

BTW, since the Mercedes has electronic traction control, don’t worry about anything “anti sway” either. See Trailer Stability Control on page 6 here
https://ragtop.org/mbbrochures/2011/2011-GL-Class.pdf
Awesome, that is good info! Just to clarify, the GL 550 doesn't come with a trailer brake controller from the factory, correct?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:37 PM

GL 550
This is great. Of course, I was using the wrong search terms...grr. I appreciate it!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:48 PM

GL 550
After reading those threads, its quite apparent that this load should be a breeze with the GL 550...all the way up to Alaska! I will be sending down a weight distribution hitch to put on the trailer which will help with steering during the trip, so other than adding an electronic brake controller, we should be set! I have much less concern after reading about the guy pulling the 30' travel trailer with his GL 320! WOW!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
As I mentioned, it's not a heavy load! It may be heavy for you (not used to it), but it's not an issue for the truck. I pull close to twice that on a regular basis. Very happy. I've also purposefully engaged the anti-sway control that is built-in (by making aggressive "avoidance" maneuvers) to see how well it works. Yes, it doesn't have a controller for electric brakes, but I believe the wires are right under the dash.

It can't hurt to have a WD hitch, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. 4K is really nothing. But again, it can't "hurt".
Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM

GL 550
Originally Posted by DennisG01
As I mentioned, it's not a heavy load! It may be heavy for you (not used to it), but it's not an issue for the truck. I pull close to twice that on a regular basis. Very happy. I've also purposefully engaged the anti-sway control that is built-in (by making aggressive "avoidance" maneuvers) to see how well it works. Yes, it doesn't have a controller for electric brakes, but I believe the wires are right under the dash.

It can't hurt to have a WD hitch, but honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. 4K is really nothing. But again, it can't "hurt".
Yeah I'm used to towing some decent loads with the Duramax, but always just assumed these smaller SUV's were pretty puny in the towing department (and looking at many other SUV's in the same category, I'm not entirely wrong). I'm impressed with what this rig is capable of!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by hunt_ak
Yeah I'm used to towing some decent loads with the Duramax, but always just assumed these smaller SUV's were pretty puny in the towing department (and looking at many other SUV's in the same category, I'm not entirely wrong). I'm impressed with what this rig is capable of!
Absolutely. I would never compare this to a full size truck, especially one with a diesel. I have plenty of experience with those, too (aside from being a life long boater, I work at a boat dealership, as well). There's no comparison and anyone that tells you there is... hasn't actually used one. But I have to say, I have been VERY pleasantly surprised at just how well this mid-size SUV trailers. I have the diesel, but I don't doubt the engine in that 550 has plenty of guts. But what I'm really referring to when I talk about "pleasantly surprised" is how stable it is for it's size. One of the first tows I did with it was a boat that weighed in around 6,500. The first thing I did was find a long stretch of road with no one around. I got up to about 45/50mph and did some VERY aggressive lane change/emergency avoidance type maneuvers. I like to do this with any "new" vehicle to me to "feel it out". I got progressively more and more aggressive - very aggressive, in fact. I finally got it to the point where the stability control kicked in and kept the car tracking straight. I actually remember thinking "Wow, that's pretty cool".

Last edited by DennisG01; 06-27-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
I have a 2012 ML63, I routinely tow a Hurricane SD2400 boat on an aluminum trailer, boat is just over 5k dry and the trailer is just over 1k. Frankly I was shocked how stable it is.... The ML is a little shorter than the GL but the chassis is similar... it came with the factory hitch so it is aware when i plug in the trailer... shifts point change and it deactivates blind spot detection...
Old 06-29-2018, 03:54 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
I have a 2012 ML63, I routinely tow a Hurricane SD2400 boat on an aluminum trailer, boat is just over 5k dry and the trailer is just over 1k. Frankly I was shocked how stable it is.... The ML is a little shorter than the GL but the chassis is similar... it came with the factory hitch so it is aware when i plug in the trailer... shifts point change and it deactivates blind spot detection...
But I assume you don't have a trailer brake controller? I'm having a hard time nailing someone down that I can get to install one...
Old 06-29-2018, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Its a new Continental trailer, disc on each of the 4 wheels... I think they are surge breaks with a breakaway cable....