GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

X164 Rear Hatch and Airmatic Fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450, C320
X164 Rear Hatch and Airmatic Fault

The first problem is with the rear hatch. The red button on the cargo hatch sometimes sticks. I usually have to hit it a few times before it works. I checked the pump located in the cargo area to see if the oil level was adequate. The oil was at the adequate level in the pump reservoir. Plugged in the MB Carsoft Diagnostic tool and the fault message is shown in the photo below.

Selection icon

Fault message for rear hatch.
Airmatic Suspension

Used the MB Carsoft II to read an airmatic malfunction message. The attached photo below shows the message displaying revealing that the central reservoir took too long to fill. Anyone have any idea what I should check from here; relays, fuses, compressor, etc? Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Here's the solution for the hatch code.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The airmatic, you might have a leak in the reservoir or a weak compressor.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 PM

GL450, C320
Originally Posted by kombifan
The airmatic, you might have a leak in the reservoir or a weak compressor.
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that the rear hatch was at least DIYable.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lutalo
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that the rear hatch was at least DIYable.
the airmatic system is definitely diyable.

There are a fair amount of forum members that have replaced the compressor and air struts/springs and provided step by step instructions.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:50 AM

GL450, C320

the airmatic system is definitely diyable.

There are a fair amount of forum members that have replaced the compressor and air struts/springs and provided step by step instructions.
Thanks, I will look for those posts. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, I will look for those posts. Appreciate the help.
cheers.

If your buying the parts check out Fcp euro for the Bilstein or arnott parts. They havea lifetime replacement warranty and these parts will wear out again at some point.
The following users liked this post:
Lutalo (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:56 PM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
It sounds like you need that hatch anti-pinch strip (in the posted work order) and a new Airmatic pump. Replace the Airmatic relay/fuse at the same time because they stick on and burn out the pump.

Both are totally doable at home. I have done an S550 but found the W164 even easier because it is higher off the ground. Raise it up before you start.

If you don't replace the pump soon, it will totally fail. Mine probably took 2 weeks max from start of failure till it basically died. Do it now so you aren't stranded.

Arnott is much much cheaper than the OE pump and just as good. Order one now and replace right away. FCPEuro, RMEuropean and even Arnott directly will sell you the pump.. check for best price as Arnott is pretty competitive vs resellers and they are pretty good with shipping fast.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM

GL450, C320
Airmatic Fault Results

Does anyone have any idea how a P0022 camshaft adjustment code could relate to an Airmatic malfunction signal on the dash?

Last edited by Lutalo; 09-10-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Lutalo;7550461]Does anyone have any idea how a P0022 camshaft adjustment code could relate to an Airmatic malfunction signal on the dash? QUOTE]

none. Your sa did not listen to you when you said airmatic error light.

Last edited by kombifan; 09-10-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:26 PM

GL450, C320

none. Your sa did not listen to you when you said airmatic error light.
Yeah. I noticed the order said that I had a check engine light. I called them back and explained that I did not have a check engine light; but an Airmatic malfunction warning. They responsed that they ran a diagnostic on my whole system and no fault for the Airmatic or any of the components related to it registered a fault.

They apparently did not physically inspect my Airmatic system specifically because it did not show a fault; even though I showed them a photo of the fault code that I received.

I suppose that they didn't charge me because they didn't actually do a mechanical inspection of anything. They asked me to drive it around and if the code returned that I should bring the vehicle back immediately.

it's also a bit odd that they were receiving a P0022 fault because my scan didn't turn up that fault, nor was I getting a check engine light; but I guess it could happen. As a safety measure, I might just visit MercB Bethesda tomorrow and buy a relay if only to eliminate it as a possible culprit should the malfunction warning return.

Last edited by Lutalo; 09-10-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah. I noticed the order said that I had a check engine light. I called them back and explained that I did not have a check engine light; but an Airmatic malfunction warning. They responsed that they ran a diagnostic on my whole system and no fault for the Airmatic or any of the components related to it registered a fault.

They apparently did not physically inspect my Airmatic system specifically because it did not show a fault; even though I showed them a photo of the fault code that I received.

I suppose that they didn't charge me because they didn't actually do a mechanical inspection of anything. They asked me to drive it around and if the code returned that I should bring the vehicle back immediately.

it's also a bit odd that they were receiving a P0022 fault because my scan didn't turn up that fault, nor was I getting a check engine light; but I guess it could happen. As a safety measure, I might just visit MercB Bethesda tomorrow and buy a relay if only to eliminate it as a possible culprit should the malfunction warning return.
was it like a compressor cooling warning message? Or a generic airmatic issue take to shop warning.

I doubt a relay Will fix such an error. It’s usually an close to burning out compressor or leaking strut. Have yours ever been replaced ?

My car is there now!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ps. Take down your picture. There’s a lot of personal info on there you don’t want to share with the rest of the world.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 PM

GL450, C320

was it like a compressor cooling warning message? Or a generic airmatic issue take to shop warning.

I doubt a relay Will fix such an error. It’s usually an close to burning out compressor or leaking strut. Have yours ever been replaced ?

My car is there now!
it was just an Airmatic malfunction warning. The visual graphic with the arrow pointing up inside the vehicle outline.

I let it sit for a week to see if it the car level would sink; maintained the same level. I drove it around for a couple of hours today attempting to duplicate the malfunction, and nothing happened. I will drive it around more tomorrow to see if it returns but so far, so good.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it was just an Airmatic malfunction warning. The visual graphic with the arrow pointing up inside the vehicle outline.

I let it sit for a week to see if it the car level would sink; maintained the same level. I drove it around for a couple of hours today attempting to duplicate the malfunction, and nothing happened. I will drive it around more tomorrow to see if it returns but so far, so good.
this guy right?

It it might be leaking bags, cracked compressor or even as you mentioned something electronic like the relay or level sensors.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:35 PM

GL450, C320

ps. Take down your picture. There’s a lot of personal info on there you don’t want to share with the rest of the world.
Oops! I appreciate the heads up. I didn't fold enough info out of the way. I deleted the photo I uploaded. Perhaps you can delete your response which contains the photo as well? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:40 PM

GL450, C320

this guy right?

It it might be leaking bags, cracked compressor or even as you mentioned something electronic like the relay or level sensors.

Yep. That's the one. It would pop up intermittently. Hasn't popped up today. I think the relay might be a good move for starters. If that cures it, cool. Although, I am still not sure why the shop didn't get any codes for the Airmatic if it is malfunctioning.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oops! I appreciate the heads up. I didn't fold enough info out of the way. I deleted the photo I uploaded. Perhaps you can delete your response which contains the photo as well? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep. That's the one. It would pop up intermittently. Hasn't popped up today. I think the relay might be a good move for starters. If that cures it, cool. Although, I am still not sure why the shop didn't get any codes for the Airmatic if it is malfunctioning.
yeah...not sure either.

But if they cleared all codes any dealer won’t be able to figure it out till I pops up again unless it’s something obvious.

Whilst youre at it, you might want to check if your leveling arms are seized and loosen them up with some wd40 or lubricant spray. Sometimes they stick. My rears already got replaced.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:50 PM

GL450, C320

yeah...not sure either.

But if they cleared all codes any dealer won’t be able to figure it out till I pops up again unless it’s something obvious.

Whilst youre at it, you might want to check if your leveling arms are seized and loosen them up with some wd40 or lubricant spray. Sometimes they stick. My rears already got replaced.
Good advice. Thanks so much. I will pop under it tomorrow if I can find a spot between rain showers 😊👍
Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 AM

GL450, C320
Update: I sprayed the leveling arms with WD40, but after a few days I got the same Airmatic malfunction warning. Took it back to the mechanic this morning.

They are telling me that a bad camshaft position sensor is causing the Airmatic malfunction warning.

I don't see how the two are related as they govern completely different systems. Does anyone have any insight on this? Could a faulty camshaft position sensor directly or indirectly cause the Airmatic warning on the dash readout?

shouldn't I have gotten an engine light instead of Airmatic malfunction warning if the cam position sensor was faulty. I will pick up the car and maybe get a second opinion.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update: I sprayed the leveling arms with WD40, but after a few days I got the same Airmatic malfunction warning. Took it back to the mechanic this morning.

They are telling me that a bad camshaft position sensor is causing the Airmatic malfunction warning.

I don't see how the two are related as they govern completely different systems. Does anyone have any insight on this? Could a faulty camshaft position sensor directly or indirectly cause the Airmatic warning on the dash readout?

shouldn't I have gotten an engine light instead of Airmatic malfunction warning if the cam position sensor was faulty. I will pick up the car and maybe get a second opinion.
Did you binfg it to euromotorcars in Bethesda? That's what they told you?

Highly unlikely those are linked .

Did you get a readout of the codes?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:50 PM

GL450, C320

Did you binfg it to euromotorcars in Bethesda? That's what they told you?

Highly unlikely those are linked .

Did you get a readout of the codes?
No, not Euro Motor Cars, Charles automotive in North Bethesda. Right, so here's the update. I go to retrieve my car. I notice that the new work order states that I reported a check engine light; which is untrue. Two work orders claiming that I requested services that I never requested. On two separate occasions, I specifically requested that they find the fault in my Airmatic system. On each occasion they checked my cam position sensor in response to an nonexistent check engine fault.

Before blowing my top, I decided to speak with the tech that actually worked on the car. He advised me that he was not advised to check the Airmatic system, and did not check it; which, of course was obvious when my car was returned to me after each visit. He was nonchalant about the inconvenience I had been caused, attributing the error to a mild case of miscommunication, but the problem was poor listening and not miscommunication. I am certain that I articulated needed services quite clearly.
Either the intake clerk was not listening, is listening disabled, or lost in translation - could be any of the three or all of them. I'm any case the mechanic is now finally checking the Airmatic system.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unfortunate.

There are two good Mercedes Indy’s right around the corner from there that only work on Mercedes.

They might be be useful for the future. Although you might have an issue with your cps as well.

i would try the soapy water test if your mechanic isn’t able to find anything or check the compressor.

Last edited by kombifan; 09-18-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:37 PM

GL450, C320
Hey, thanks for the response. Who are the nearby Indy's? I am in the market for a new mechanic - someone who listens to the customers. Seems like the soapy water test would part of the mechanic's check, but if he doesn't find anything I will do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X164 Rear Hatch and Airmatic Fault