GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Need Help with Airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Dinismb

Ok I did read up on it but I see it with pre 2008 models. I am not finding any info on the 2013+?
enlighten me please
and if you still are looking.
"Starting with model year 2014, Mercedes started using a 13.5 quart oil pan. Those engines are much better than the older 8.5 quart oil pan."
Old 09-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
Originally Posted by kombifan

the om642 is essentially still the same block with the same underlying issues that plague the engine in the USA.....despite software updates that have come along the way.

The most reliable ones are the pre 2008 cdi ones actually, the ones without bluetex urea injection.

There are issues with the adblue tank heater failing, crystalizzarion of the ad blue tank, leaking lines, and ensuring the tank is full in winter for fear of gelling.
Have you noticed I haven't even gotten to the engine yet.

Apparently the engine oil issues stem from the superheated oil being fed from the turbo back to the crankcase instead of a dedicated water cooled turbo causing sludge and etc... Also the dpf clogs on even newer e/ml250 models with part availability unknown.
Injector and further sensor issues are commonplace. Plus timing chain rattle, stretch and broken plastic guides.

The diesel for me has always been a workhorse engine. Dependable and not needing kid gloves to maintain. It actually can be abused ; but sadly that's not the case from what I read.

This site gives moreinsight .

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

Hope it helps.
wow this is mindblowing.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 350
Airmatic malfunction warning

Hello all,

I have searched the forums and cant find anything replicating my problem with the Airmatic.

Shortly after I bought my GL, the airmatic started acting funny. The front rises to a normal high level but the rear seems that it only rises half way the level it should.
Also, when raised, the vehicle is bouncy like those low riders and theres sounds from underneath like metals are grinding either from the differential or suspension parts and i can tell its metal to metal friction.
Then, I took the car in at the stealership, and they said that it was due to the rear air bags being bad.

Shortly after that the fronts went out so I went ahead and replaced all 4 all the way around with the arnotts. I did the job myself as I seen it being fairly easy for an amateur like me.

The problem is still there. When raised the car actually bounces and rocks exactly like those show off low rider cars, and then shortly after that I get the ”Airmatic Malfunction” message in the dash. To lower it, I have to turn the car off and then lower it.

Please note that when the car is in normal Mode I have no issues whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 09-23-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 350
Airmatic malfunction

Hello all,

I have searched the forums and cant find anything replicating my problem with the Airmatic.

Shortly after I bought my GL, the airmatic started acting funny. The front rises to a normal high level but the rear seems that it only rises half way the level it should.
Also, when raised, the vehicle is bouncy like those low riders and theres sounds from underneath like metals are grinding either from the differential or suspension parts and i can tell its metal to metal friction.
Then, I took the car in at the stealership, and they said that it was due to the rear air bags being bad.

Shortly after that the fronts went out so I went ahead and replaced all 4 all the way around with the arnotts. I did the job myself as I seen it being fairly easy for an amateur like me.

The problem is still there. When raised the car actually bounces and rocks exactly like those show off low rider cars, and then shortly after that I get the ”Airmatic Malfunction” message in the dash. To lower it, I have to turn the car off and then lower it.

Please note that when the car is in normal Mode I have no issues whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for your help
My turn to give back to this forum. My W164 gave me the same error after I replaced th LF strut which got damaged after an overland trip in Botswana.

I also replaced the strut with an aftermarket one. After replacement I started getting intermittent "Malfunction" with the up arrow on the display. After 5 days of testing compressor, level sensors, fuses, relay, etc, I tested with borrowed obd2. Fault code was 5210, Y51: Left front axle damping valve unit).

I measured the travel on both the connectors (aftermarket on strut and the OEM connector on the car). They were slightly off i.e. the aftermarket strut connector does not fit 100% to the original connector on the car. Hence the airmatic control unit can not communicate with the ADS (Auto dampening system). This will cause the car being unable to adapt to driving conditions and you will get either very stiff or flat suspension and this is registered as a "malfunction".

I,ve got no prob with aftermarket product, in fact I prefer them, but at 20% of the OEM price one must expect that quality assurance is not as high on the aftermarket parts, especially little plastic connectors.

My solution was to cut both connectors an refit good qualty three pin connector.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
Originally Posted by Vrystaat
My turn to give back to this forum. My W164 gave me the same error after I replaced th LF strut which got damaged after an overland trip in Botswana.

I also replaced the strut with an aftermarket one. After replacement I started getting intermittent "Malfunction" with the up arrow on the display. After 5 days of testing compressor, level sensors, fuses, relay, etc, I tested with borrowed obd2. Fault code was 5210, Y51: Left front axle damping valve unit).

I measured the travel on both the connectors (aftermarket on strut and the OEM connector on the car). They were slightly off i.e. the aftermarket strut connector does not fit 100% to the original connector on the car. Hence the airmatic control unit can not communicate with the ADS (Auto dampening system). This will cause the car being unable to adapt to driving conditions and you will get either very stiff or flat suspension and this is registered as a "malfunction".

I,ve got no prob with aftermarket product, in fact I prefer them, but at 20% of the OEM price one must expect that quality assurance is not as high on the aftermarket parts, especially little plastic connectors.

My solution was to cut both connectors an refit good qualty three pin connector.
thanks for your input that could be as well. However, i dont have ADS.
Also, the front seem to measure even - its the rear that doesnt raise enough.

I had the problem, long before I replaced any of the struts and air springs. So, I doubt I have the same problem.

I will try to visit the dealer soon and I will see what they find.