GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Avinusa 9" Android head unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GL550
Avinusa 9" Android head unit

So we recently purchased a 2012 GL550 to replace our aging family SUV. I decided to upgrade the stereo system given its limitations compared to today's head units. I did a lot of research and stumbled on this forum and read a bit about others installing Android head units on their GL. I also have the same type Android unit on my Nissan Titan so I have some experience on how it is with the car.

After a bit of reading up, I decided to go with Avinusa's Android unit. I purchased the head unit, the MOST fiber optic amp interface (our GL has the Harman Kardon system), the factory Bluetooth mic adapter, factory back up cam adapter, and factory gps adapter (which I discovered during the install was not needed because the factory gps plug is compatible with the Android head unit).

Install was pretty straight forward. There's a number of YoutYou videos I followed to do the install as far as removing the AC control panel. The toughest part was getting the AC panel off as I was scared to break the trims. Once everything was out, all I had to do was unplug the harnesses and fakra plugs (gps, Bluetooth mic, and back up cam) from the factory unit. The unit harness had the fiber optic plug which I had to remove and plug into the MOST fiber optic amp interface box. Most of the harness from Avinusa come prewired and all I had to wire was the MOST box into the harness (color coordinated so you pretty much just follow the colors; yellow, red, and black for ground). It also comes with two rca plugs that plug into the unit's front right/front left rca input. I ran the USB plug extensions to where the iPod adapter socket was in the glovebox, makes it a clean install and the plugs come out the hole where the iPod adapter socket used to be .

Once everything was plugged in I tested the unit and everything checked out, except the FM radio had no reception. I contacted Avinusa and was told that the Android unit has blue wires labelled as "amp con" and "ant" and these two had to be connected to activate the factory antenna. The prewired harness had "amp con" to "amp con" wired together instead of "amp con" to "ant" so all i did was swap it. There is also a white/purple fakra plug that Avinusa told me to plug into the back of the Android unit, which I at first fixed the issue, but when I push the Android unit back into it's slot to wrap everything up, it starts to lose radio reception again. I decided to just leave it be given I will be using WiFi/usb to play music anyway.

A little kink ran into a few days ago, I got in the car and there was no audio. This was two days after the install. I checked the fuses and everything we're good. I decided to take the unit out and check the wiring and connections, and everything was good as well. I then decided to unplug everything and plug the factory unit back in, voila the sound was back. I contacted Avinusa about the issue, but they haven't replied yet. I go back to the car this morning to put the factory unit back in while I wait to get the issue resolved, but I decided to give it one more try so I turn the car on, and everything works! The sound was back and everything was back to normal. I'm not sure what happened but I will be keeping an eye if the issue happens again. I really am happy with the unit and hoping I don't run into this issue again.

I downloaded Spotify, Waze, and a few other handy apps. The Bluetooth function syncs the phone contacts. I use my smart phone's mobile hotspot to connect to WiFi.

I installed a 'car launcher' app I download on Google Play store to make the set up a little fancier and more "factory like". I hope this helps those who look into changing their factory unit as well as. The install is not too hard if you're somewhat a handy person, and do a lot of reading up before any project.

​​​​​​I cleaned everything up upon finishing the installation. I taped and bundled the wires I wasn't using. I put rubber plugs over the unused rca plugs, and I made sure all the connections were secure.

​​​​​I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that with my phone lol .

Last edited by PopoySD; 09-24-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:08 PM

GL550

The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (09-23-2022)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320
I have this exact same unit in a 2007 GL320CDI. It's an OK unit, but not without its quirks. The documentation is horrible and Avin's tech support is even worse.

It's been almost 2 years now and i still can't get decent FM reception. Avin recommended i buy an antenna with a built in signal amplifier and all would be good. I did, and it wasn't. I finally gave up and just downloaded Pandora, Spotify, and IheartRadio for streaming.

Sometimes, it just doesn't make any sound. The lights and the touchscreen works, but no sound. I can even see Pandora's music timer ticking away...just no sound. Fix: 1) pull over 2) turn off engine 3) remove key 4) open driver's door 5) close driver's door 6) restart engine...and miraculously the music starts playing again. It feels like i am Control + Alt+ Delete'ing my car. Crazy. Avin tech support says they have never had any complaints to the similar

One day my bluetooth just stopped working. Would not connect to anything. Took me SEVEN emails over 2 months just to get Avin to respond. They do not answer they phone. They will not call you even if you request (multiple times )After about 8 more back and forth emails with their suggestions that didn't work (which by the way took them almost a week per suggestion) they told me to pull the unit and do a "hard factory reset". Well, it worked. Unfortunately i cracked my dash face plate when pulling the unit.

So here is my summary: Avin looks cool and almost works as described, but is horribly overpriced for what you get. I could see past the price gouging had the support been half way decent.
I would not recommend them or this unit.
Sorry Avin, you failed!

Last edited by smagna00; 09-27-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:32 AM

GL550
Aww man that sucks. I hope I don't get the same quurks too often. It seems easy fixes if it we're a standard car, but since it's a MB it's a bit more complicated. I was considering this or the Alpine Halo 9 which is priced more than twice the total I spent on this one, but more than likely less hassle. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 GL550 ; 2005 Lexus LS430
Wiring the MOST adapter

Originally Posted by PopoySD
So we recently purchased a 2012 GL550 to replace our aging family SUV. I decided to upgrade the stereo system given its limitations compared to today's head units. I did a lot of research and stumbled on this forum and read a bit about others installing Android head units on their GL. I also have the same type Android unit on my Nissan Titan so I have some experience on how it is with the car.

After a bit of reading up, I decided to go with Avinusa's Android unit. I purchased the head unit, the MOST fiber optic amp interface (our GL has the Harman Kardon system), the factory Bluetooth mic adapter, factory back up cam adapter, and factory gps adapter (which I discovered during the install was not needed because the factory gps plug is compatible with the Android head unit).

Install was pretty straight forward. There's a number of YoutYou videos I followed to do the install as far as removing the AC control panel. The toughest part was getting the AC panel off as I was scared to break the trims. Once everything was out, all I had to do was unplug the harnesses and fakra plugs (gps, Bluetooth mic, and back up cam) from the factory unit. The unit harness had the fiber optic plug which I had to remove and plug into the MOST fiber optic amp interface box. Most of the harness from Avinusa come prewired and all I had to wire was the MOST box into the harness (color coordinated so you pretty much just follow the colors; yellow, red, and black for ground). It also comes with two rca plugs that plug into the unit's front right/front left rca input. I ran the USB plug extensions to where the iPod adapter socket was in the glovebox, makes it a clean install and the plugs come out the hole where the iPod adapter socket used to be .

Once everything was plugged in I tested the unit and everything checked out, except the FM radio had no reception. I contacted Avinusa and was told that the Android unit has blue wires labelled as "amp con" and "ant" and these two had to be connected to activate the factory antenna. The prewired harness had "amp con" to "amp con" wired together instead of "amp con" to "ant" so all i did was swap it. There is also a white/purple fakra plug that Avinusa told me to plug into the back of the Android unit, which I at first fixed the issue, but when I push the Android unit back into it's slot to wrap everything up, it starts to lose radio reception again. I decided to just leave it be given I will be using WiFi/usb to play music anyway.

A little kink ran into a few days ago, I got in the car and there was no audio. This was two days after the install. I checked the fuses and everything we're good. I decided to take the unit out and check the wiring and connections, and everything was good as well. I then decided to unplug everything and plug the factory unit back in, voila the sound was back. I contacted Avinusa about the issue, but they haven't replied yet. I go back to the car this morning to put the factory unit back in while I wait to get the issue resolved, but I decided to give it one more try so I turn the car on, and everything works! The sound was back and everything was back to normal. I'm not sure what happened but I will be keeping an eye if the issue happens again. I really am happy with the unit and hoping I don't run into this issue again.

I downloaded Spotify, Waze, and a few other handy apps. The Bluetooth function syncs the phone contacts. I use my smart phone's mobile hotspot to connect to WiFi.

I installed a 'car launcher' app I download on Google Play store to make the set up a little fancier and more "factory like". I hope this helps those who look into changing their factory unit as well as. The install is not too hard if you're somewhat a handy person, and do a lot of reading up before any project.

​​​​​​I cleaned everything up upon finishing the installation. I taped and bundled the wires I wasn't using. I put rubber plugs over the unused rca plugs, and I made sure all the connections were secure.

​​​​​I'll post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that with my phone lol .
Hello, I just putchased the same exact unit for my 2009 GL550, when you wired the MOST adapter, which harness did you wire it to, coming from the unit, or the truck? Is it ok to PM you?
Old 10-05-2018, 02:53 AM

GL550
You take the fiber optic cable out of the factory harness from your GL, then connect it to the Most adapter box. Here's a good YouTube video of the install: https://youtu.be/HrMQ3TpE_O4

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I'll try my best to help 👍🏻
Old 10-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320
have any of you gotten the screen auto dim to work? To auto adjust at night as the lights come on?
thx
Old 10-12-2018, 02:36 AM

GL550
I didn't even know that feature existed lol
Old 10-13-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2009 GL550 ; 2005 Lexus LS430
Originally Posted by smagna00
have any of you gotten the screen auto dim to work? To auto adjust at night as the lights come on?
thx
I've noticed that mine slightly dims once the headlights cme on. I was playing around in the settings and there's an option for them to dim. They don't dim that much though. Still trying to figure out why I can't here my phone ring, or hear the person on the other end. AVIN's solution was to try another phone.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 AM

GL550
some pics I took today. I downloaded "Car Launcher" on Google play store and use it instead of the android launcher. Looks more oem.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Something Slow
looks great thinking about getting this... how is it performing so far? and how is your FM/AM Reception?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sterling GTR
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
looks great thinking about getting this... how is it performing so far? and how is your FM/AM Reception?
I have just installed my AVINUSA 9" head unit in my 09 GL450. I like the unit, however, my radio has no way to attach it to the dashboard. It just will flop out of the hole with a finger nail pull. I connected the yellow and red wires as directed into the ANT wire, and found my parking lights now stay on all the time when in automatic mode.
my radio reception is horrid, I only have a single connection for my ant. No dbl white fakra. My unit is the new one with the hdmi out put, and dual outputs for the rear monitors. So maybe they just forgot something... overall I like the unit, but am bummed it cant install android auto.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450
The shiny thing is the latching mechanism- one on each end. The Torx screw comes off and you are able to slide the latch down to remove the HU, and slide it up to lock it in place. There is a thread that discusses the radio reception and most other issues here.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:44 PM

Sterling GTR
Yes I'm am aware. My head unit did not come with the attachment brackets as you can see on the picture. So the latches cant grab anything.... avinusa is working on it.

The oddity is now my parking lights stay on when set to auto. Also, I cant get the obd2 dongle to connect via bluetooth. The password is fine. It just will not connect to it. I can see it in the bluetooth screen, but I cant select it. I only have a single white connector for my radio and my radio reception is horrible. I have the 5m cable but haven't routed it yet.

Has anyone thought of using the coin drawer in the dash as a inductive phone charger? My Note 10+ fits right in there.

Originally Posted by amerc
The shiny thing is the latching mechanism- one on each end. The Torx screw comes off and you are able to slide the latch down to remove the HU, and slide it up to lock it in place. There is a thread that discusses the radio reception and most other issues here.

Last edited by ydeardorff; 01-11-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
E300, C63
I installed mine a couple days ago, and for the life of me I cannot get the apple carplay to work! I know it's not my phone, it works in my GLS550 and e63s, but it doesn't work on this head unit. I got the wireless carplay adapter and am trying to use it with a lightning cable first. ZERO documentation and Avin will not answer my questions. Carplay is the only reason I bought this stupid thing lol
Old 01-11-2020, 05:41 PM

Sterling GTR
I am a little perplexed as well. Android auto cannot be installed. It says wrong version.
I also have the dongle, and can only get it to connect via usb, or using easyconn app.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 ML 350
There is an adk file that must be installed before the wireless will work. AVIN can send you a link. The file auto installs and then you will have wireless connection. It actually works very well. I'm amazed. Much better than the earlier AVIN unit where there was no CarPlay and the connection was sketchy as hell.

Last edited by Diamondrichlb; 02-24-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:12 PM

2011 ML 350
You have to make sure auto-answer is turned off in your CarPlay settings. Otherwise the phone just answers without you even hearing it ring. Yeah, that's a little uncomfortable. 😬

I am still having a problem dialing from the iPhone. I can't hear the person I'm calling and they can't hear me. If I hit the phone call button on the steering wheel then dial the number from the keypad on the screen - all is well. Something wrong there, but I don't know what.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:14 PM

2011 ML 350
The mounting bracket is a piece of crap. That's probably why they sent yours without it. It's plastic and springs out of shape when you attempt to mount the unit. I've been in a pissing contest with them and PayPal in an attempt to get them to do something about it. PayPal was totally worthless. So far, while support has actually answered my emails they have not come up with a solution other than for me to send the unit back at my expense and oh by the way it has to be like new. Uh, it's mounted in my car, how can it be like new?