GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2009 GL 450 Engine Compartment Knocking Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018 | 11:38 AM

2009 GL450
2009 GL 450 Engine Compartment Knocking Sound

Hello! I bought a used GL450 at a good price a few weeks ago and have already had to sink a fair share of money into it but I am having a problem I cannot figure out. I just had the local mechanic replace the tensioner pulley, idlers, belt and power steering pump. Before replacing these I was hearing what I thought was a bad bearing and the steering was not working correctly and noisy so I was thinking that's where my problem was. My steering is working fine now but I'm hearing a knocking coming from right around (or maybe below) the where the new pump is. Also, maybe coincidence, the A/C was FREEZING two weeks ago and now isn't getting very cold, if at all.

The engine is also missing slightly, which I only notice at low idle. Not sure if that is related too. Otherwise, power and acceleration is great.

The video attached will give you an idea what it sounds like.

Help!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8965.MOV (1.46 MB, 204 views)
Old 09-26-2018 | 04:22 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

This sound like a bad ac compressor or water pump... remove accessory belt and run engine briefly to determine if noise comes from engine or accessories. My bet is ... see above
Old 09-26-2018 | 07:22 PM

2009 GL450
You were absolutely correct. The reason I know for sure is that an hour ago my AC compressor seized and shredded my belt. So it looks like I am replacing my compressor and the belt now.

here is another question though – is it strange that the AC compressor stopped making cold air a few days ago and then seized today? Is it perhaps a sign of a larger problem or do compressors typically fail before they seize?
Old 09-27-2018 | 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Are you sure it didn't seize a few days ago? The belt may have survived for a little while - in other words, it took a little time for the belt to shred, constantly grinding across a non-moving pulley. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but as soon as the A/C stopped working, it would have been a good idea to give the system a visual once over - probably could've avoided the shredded belt. Check everything real well to make sure the belt didn't damage other things.