GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Passenger side front blinker stays on no matter what.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 GL450
Passenger side front blinker stays on no matter what.

I am troubleshooting a '11 GL450 has ~80K on it. Last night, the moonroof got left open for several hours in a downpour. Nothing appears to have been permanently damaged, but tonight I noticed that the passenger side left front blinker will not turn off. Ever. Key on, key off, blinker on, or off. Hazards on or off.

I read that it might be a relay, so I unplugged every relay in the box under the hood individually, and the light stayed on. I swapped bulbs with the driver's side and the passenger side stayed on. I finally just left the bulb removed so it wouldn't drain the battery. What should I check next?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Front Sam.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:58 PM

'11 GL450
I'm Googling but where exactly is the front Signal Acquisition Module, and how is it tested? (I'll update my post as I find stuff while Googling.)

This page thinks it's under the front passenger seat, but that doesn't seem right. http://www.mercedesmedic.com/gl-fuse-chart-x164/

This Ebay auction says it's in the front right passenger footwell. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-W-X164-Front-Passenger-Right-SAM-Control-Unit-Signal-Acquisition-Module/361336905050?epid=704424760&hash=item54215b9d5a:g: 67IAAOSw8GtZW0Q0

Okay, so the front SAM is under the front right passenger seat. And, sure enough, it is damp down there. Actually, damp was an understatement. There's at least an inch of standing water. I'm gonna pull the battery, dry out the area, remove the SAM, dry it out, and cross my fingers.

Last edited by thefleshrocket; 09-26-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by thefleshrocket
I'm Googling but where exactly is the front Signal Acquisition Module, and how is it tested? (I'll update my post as I find stuff while Googling.)

This page thinks it's under the front passenger seat, but that doesn't seem right. http://www.mercedesmedic.com/gl-fuse-chart-x164/

This Ebay auction says it's in the front right passenger footwell. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-W-...IAAOSw8GtZW0Q0

Okay, so the front SAM is under the front right passenger seat. And, sure enough, it is damp down there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bES-U1dm8kA

Should have said it was in the front passenger footwell. And if it's damp the water probably collected in the box 😩

I think the only way is to replace it.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:38 PM

'11 GL450
So I've located the SAM and will hopefully have it removed later on tonight. If I buy a new SAM, is it a drop-in replacement, or is there some programming required?

Basically, it looks like a new SAM is in the $450 range. Our insurance deductible is $500, and if I'm gonna be looking at paying Mercedes a few hours to fix this in addition to the new SAM, I'm wondering if we shouldn't just make an insurance claim.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:17 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Remove sam, open up and blow compressed air everywhere inside. It might not be dead dead.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:21 PM

'11 GL450
Originally Posted by alx
Remove sam, open up and blow compressed air everywhere inside. It might not be dead dead.
I'll give that a shot tonight, with fingers crossed!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:43 PM

'11 GL450
Okay, maybe I'm confused. In the battery compartment is what looks like a fuse block assembly, and it doesn't look like what pictures show the SAM to look like. So have I not found the SAM?

Old 09-26-2018, 09:07 PM

'11 GL450
Okay, so apparently that thing to the left of the battery (in my pic above, and in the car) is not the SAM, it's some power distribution block. I am guessing that the SAM is under the black plastic cover to the right of the battery, but I can't figure out how to even get the cover off.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:28 PM

'11 GL450
The plastic cover felt like it was being held in place by a nut that goes down into the top of it from above. I could feel it underneath the seat rail but couldn't get a socket to it because I couldn't peel the carpet back far enough. I'm pretty sure that MB designed it so that the seat would need to be removed to get to that bolt, but the seat is in the fully forward position and I've already pulled the battery, and I'm pretty sure I'd need to slide the seat all the way back to access the front bolts. So, screw it. I cut the carpet far enough that I could get to the bolt from above. (The cut will be hidden by the seat rail trim piece, so no biggie. I got out the bolt, but the plastic cover is still firmly in place despite strong tugs on it.

Surely I'm not the first person to try to muddle through removing the SAM. What's the trick to it?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 PM

'11 GL450
I found this post: https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ml#post7418944

Well really can be the SAM is compromised I recommend to use first a scanner to find any error codes.
If the scanner shows a CAN communication problem you can the the SAM module and try of fix it before buying a new one. If you have the tools, you can take it out and try to clean with a contact cleaner. To remove it you need to take out the front passenger seat removing the plastic that covers the front torx bolts then you have to move the seat all to front and remove the torx bolts that holds the seat. After that, disconnect the battery and remove it. After that only disconnect the auxiliary battery and then you have access to remove the 2 screws that hold the SAM, you will need a Allen tool to loose then, now you can disconnect all the plugs and remove it.
It's a bit harder, but not impossible.
Keep in mind that after doing that you will need to reprogram at least the solar roof and windows, if you have access to a Star Diagnosis Scanner it will be easier.
So apparently after I remote the auxiliary battery, that will give me access to two screws that hold the SAM in place? Gonna go try some more. But, from how this reads, it sounds like a trip to the dealer is going to be a necessity regardless. I noticed while putting the car up on ramps tonight before working on it, the rear windows would close fully, then retract about 3 inches. It took me several tries of turning off the key when the window was at the top before it started going back down to get them to stay closed.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:11 AM

'11 GL450
I removed the auxiliary battery and removed the two screws on the front of the SAM, but still no joy. The black cover over the SAM still feels like it's being held in place by the plastic floorboard cover that's above it. I feel like the seat, the carpet, and the black floorboard plastic probably have to come out in order to get to the SAM.

At this point, given that the part itself is almost $500 (via Ebay or whatever), and given that it will require dealer programming, and given that I still can't figure out how to get the damn thing out, I gave up and made an insurance claim.