Whirring with RPM Noise...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Whirring with RPM Noise...

Hey there!

It feels like this sound is stronger on the drivers side around the tensioner, power steering pump and AC compressor. Although, my aging ears may be misleading me. I intended to upload a video/audio, but haven't been able to nail down that process.

My ride is a 2009 GL450 with around 97,000 miles. The sound started yesterday suddenly. I would not describe the sound as a whining or squealing, because it isn't high pitched. I know it isn't the serpentine belt because I replaced that within that last 6 months or so. If I were to equate it to a sound some may be familiar with, I'd say picture (in your ears) the sound of an electric remote controlled car as it is running.

Looking forward to any diagnostic tricks or treats. Also hoping that someone out there can make sense of my oddball sound description and has experienced the same issue.

Thanks in advance!

Peace...Away...
Old 10-21-2018, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Run the engine for a short time without the belt on. If the sound goes away, it's something connected to the belt. If it doesn't, that also helps narrow down the search field. Also... use a mechanics stethoscope (inexpensive) or even a long screwdriver or a wooden dowel (with the end held to your ear). Keep moving it around - when you get closer to the culprit, the sound will get notably louder.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by DennisG01
Run the engine for a short time without the belt on. If the sound goes away, it's something connected to the belt. If it doesn't, that also helps narrow down the search field. Also... use a mechanics stethoscope (inexpensive) or even a long screwdriver or a wooden dowel (with the end held to your ear). Keep moving it around - when you get closer to the culprit, the sound will get notably louder.
I've heard about dropping the belt off and running briefly to hear if sound stays or goes. I will give that a try tomorrow after work.

I have a mechanic's stethoscope but haven't really tested anything beyond the two pulleys, since I can physically contact the probe to the e-torx bolt heads. Haven't really tried to just wander around the areas.

Looking forward to give this all a shot and other thoughts as well.

​​​​​​​Thanks...Later...Away...