GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

heated rear seats - cabling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2018 | 04:53 PM

GL 450 CDI
heated rear seats - cabling

To my delight, I found myself original MB 2nd row, rear heated seat covers. The 2nd row seats on my vehicle were non heated. The covers I bought all came with heater cables, not my choice but so glad to have them.
The vehicle came with heated front seats and that's been great for us but not for the rear passengers.
I figured it could be a straight forward thing, add the cables from the seats to the rear control unit located under the seat and from there to the switch cluster and voila. Not so.

The problem is, I am restricted by lack of wiring cables, I have no access to the part nos.

I use 'MBTeile' for online part search and it is good to a certain point, but not in this case, there isn't enough details on the seat diagram to show the wiring cables.
The diagram shows all the cables as straight lines and below that is a cluster of part nos. I cannot tell which is which. Normally, you see more part detail on dealer websites.
I can only assume with some surety that I lack reading skills for part nos.

Does anyone know of a more detailed parts search or where should one go for such a search. Many times I have been stuck for the lack of part details.

I bought a switch cluster from ebay, it is the same as the one on the car, except it has as extra seat heater switches in addition to the air-condition etc, its a one up from what already on there. I only have to find out if I need new control unit under the rear seats for the cabling.

Perhaps someone could lift up the rear seats and get me those part nos.

I would really appreciate some guidance on this, I will be always in your debt. Thank you

Last edited by mbogohse; 12-13-2018 at 01:49 AM. Reason: wrong grammar, word sentence and wrong presentation of case
Old 12-12-2018 | 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by mbogohse
To my delight, I found myself original MB 2nd row, rear heated seat covers. The ones that came on the vehicle were non heated covers.
The car came with heated front seats and that's been great for us but not for the rear passengers. I figured it could be a straight forward thing, add the cables from the seats to the rear control unit located under the seat and from there to the switch cluster and voila. Not so.
What I cannot find are the part nos for the cables from the heated seats to the control unit which is under the seat and from there to the switch cluster.
I bought a switch cluster from ebay that has seat heater switches together with the air-condition and temp etc. What I am missing is the cables.
I use the german parts search diagrams online manual 'MB TEILE' and cables are shown as lines on the diagram, it is difficult to read or I don't know how to read it.
Does anyone know where could I see these cables on a proper diagram or does anyone have the part nos of the cables I would need to order.
I can you guys have been down that road and would really appreciate your insight of how to go about this final stage. The new seat covers are already on the vehicle.
Also, would I have to get a new control unit, I am going blind here as I can see a few opening for cables on the control unit under the seat and I figure they are for the heater cables.
Could someone please guide me on this.

MB teile online parts search many times does not show details parts that MB dealers would on their website, would you know of another where I can get more details. What do the gurus use. Thank you in advance
this is awesome. I would want to do this too. Let us know your progress.

Have yiu tried mb online parts and their competitors?