GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 GL350 DPF/SCR/ADBLUE Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2013 GL550, 2013 GL450 (sold), 2010 GL350 (sold)
Originally Posted by bmrisko
@quron_southwest
@peter2772000

Are you guys still enjoying the delete mods? Have any noteworthy issues popped up in the last few months?

My wife's GL350 is currently starting to get a lot more codes and we're on the fence about just getting rid of the vehicle or doing a delete like this to minimize future issues. We love the vehicle, but don't love all the recent horror stories we're reading re: Bluetec.
I sold it a couple weeks back. I got a 2013 GL450 and don’t miss that GL350 at all... That car got annoying. But as far as the delete I haven’t had any issues with it. You’d be better off selling it though.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 129 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Originally Posted by bmrisko
@quron_southwest
@peter2772000

Are you guys still enjoying the delete mods? Have any noteworthy issues popped up in the last few months?

My wife's GL350 is currently starting to get a lot more codes and we're on the fence about just getting rid of the vehicle or doing a delete like this to minimize future issues. We love the vehicle, but don't love all the recent horror stories we're reading re: Bluetec.

No issues here. Kept the cats, so no smells from the get-go. Malone Tuning did the DPF/DEF/EGR deletes, so I never had to unplug anything etc. No "remaining starts" either. As well, I only paid $1400 CAN but to be fair to quron, my shop re-used the flanges from my DPF.
Fuel mileage "might" be a bit better, but my wife's driving habits and short driving distances make fuel mileage calculations all but impossible. She believes that the consumption has dropped mildly. Performance-wise, 0-60 MPH is at around 8 seconds, so par for the course.
We've had absolutely no issues or CELs. The truck is reliable to date. I run high(er) zinc oil which theoretically protects the metal components better. I lose the engine cover and belly-pan in the summer, though this is probably more important for someone in year-round warmer climates who's stuck in stop'n go traffic every day.

If I had to do it all again, never would've bought a diesel or a German vehicle. We naively bought this low-mileage for a steal, thinking we were buying reliability. Uh, no.
We also own an X6 which we leave down in our winter home in FL. Thankfully, it has the in-line 6 which is bulletproof, but we've still had to do repairs on it with (now) only 46k miles under her. I've always been an "American Only" vehicle owner. The US manufacturers have certainly improved exponentially in fit/finish and reliability. I own a fleet of 6 service vans and pick-ups. They are typically good for a couple hundred thousand kilometers before starting to show attitude.

But, I'm blown away by the reliability of my 2007 FJ Cruiser. 120,000 miles and I have yet to replace anything other than maintenance items. Freakin' thing is bulletproof. I've never owned a vehicle this long (bought it in 2010, US salvage-titled to boot). I'm 59 yrs old and have been thru dozens of vehicles and this beast is the best to date.

Sorry for carrying on. To answer your question; If it were me, I'd trade it in on whatever turns your crank. If it's another German POS, do a lease and toss them the keys after 3 yrs. Let someone else deal with the issues out-of-warranty.

Last edited by peter2772000; 12-29-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just noticed you have a GC SRT. I sold my 2014 a yr ago, what a rocket. Lost a roller lifter just before the warranty ran out at around 50k miles, sold it a month or two afterwards. But otherwise a fairly dependable vehicle and a 'Stang burner to boot.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLE 350, 2013 GL 450
Originally Posted by quron_southwest
To the point! Alright guys, so to stop getting the starts remaining counter, you have to unplug the SCR module and the fuses that are plugged in. It’s located in the trunk under the jack equipment. You have to remove that entire black styrofoam cover that holds everything. Then you should see it in the bottom left. I’ll provide photos later. It’s super simple no special tools required. But, you do have to PULL that styrofoam cover up.
Did you ever get the photos of the SCR module and fuses to unplug? I have to do that to mine tonight (just loaded the Stage 1 tuned file to my ECU this morning, and FedEx just dropped off my delete pipe).

Also, did you need to unplug the swirl flaps? If so, any tips on that would be appreciated.

My tuner indicated I would need to unplug the SCR and the Flaps, but said everything else could remain connected.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2008 ML 320 CDI
Is it because the EGR was deleted that the MB specified 229.52 diesel engine oil is no longer required? How is the oil that you're using now working out and what oil is regarded safe to use if the EGR is deleted?
Sorry, only just saw this...

No, not the EGR. The DPF will clog up if/when using a decent oil with higher zinc content. 229.51 was the only oil to use, according to MB. Absolute best, it was. Then they realized there were issues and migrated to 229.52. 229.51 was now the scourge of the earth. However, dealers were stocked up with 229.51 'till doomsday. You think they poured all that now-defective oil down the drain? No, they sold all that oil, poured it down our gullets and did it with a smile.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL350 Bluetec
GL350 BT NOX Sensors

Does anyone know NOX sensors are part of a Life time or any limited emission control warranty in the State of Texas?

My GL350 has been diagnosed with BOTH nox sensors (000-905-35-03 and 36-03) being bad, even after taken car to shop for the engine light warning 1 year ago (2018), when car was under the full factory warranty. Dealer one year ago stated, soot sensor was bad and it had been reset (NOT changed, though initially h said soot sensor was changed, but when i pulled up the work order, it did not indicate any part change or install), while there was Ad Blue issue had shown up as per the attached log supplied by the dealer. I reminded dealer that, last year's engine light could have been related to ad blue issue and it was never addressed, and now NOX sensors have gone bad. Also, within 6 months of driving some 800 local miles, i had Ad blue fill up sign showed up twice, which i did fill up and then 'Ad blue' Remaining sign shows up (both times after topping up with Ad blue. I wonder whether it is common to have ad blue fill up sign showing up in such a short driving mileage distance (800 miles driven between 2 top off of Ad Blue). Would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks.
Tom
2014 GL 350 BlueTec Diesel engine

Old 10-23-2019, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 gl550
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I've been posting for around 8 years, in this forum on the issues of the OM642, pointing out they were plagued from the start. I was flamed a lot at first but now everyone sees how problematic the engine can be compared to the gassers. Not saying the gas versions do not have issues, they do, but nothing like seemingly endless issues of some OM642's. You may have found my post to be irrelevant but had you read many of them in the past it may have saved you from buying the diesel version. Get yours running and sell it quickly. As an FYI, if you are searching for MPG's, the GLS 450 has been reported to be capable of 25-30 MPG out of the gas twin-turbo engine and updated transmission.
I love the way this engine and automobile keep getting a bad rep, bottom line is I would like to quote a review from when the SUV originally came out, " If you are buying this engine for fuel economy and low cost maintenance, you should be looking elsewhere" bottom line is I love my GL350, going on 150K miles and with proper maintenance I could not ask for a better car, I tow a small trailer in the mountains and drive it like I stole it. the power and torque this truck has is second to none for the comfort it provides, the handling is all Mercedes, I LOVE IT, now for the price to keep,I would venture to say that its up there, I have been in front of all the possible screw ups Mercedes made on this vehicle and happy to say I have never limped back home, I have repaired all the typical oil leaks they tend to have and changed the oil methodically at 3000 miles, screw that 10K crap on the manual, and happy to say the engine purs like a kitten and runs like a bat. very happy with the performance and size of this SUV, had an Audi Q7 supercharged and loved the performance while feeling like in a sardine can. bottom line if your looking for reliability and low cost, run from this vehicle, if you enjoy a Mack truck with the ride and luxury and style of a Mercedes Benz, this might be the truck for you. I have no plans on selling mine, and bottom line is that I have spent very little more on maintenance and repairs than I did with my prior Jap box that drove like a roller skate.If your not willing to open up your wallet and get your hands dirty and get in front of the more than documented issues surrounding this car why buy it at all.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jorge Garcia:
2008 ML 320 CDI (12-29-2019), Bimmer777 (10-23-2019), theswede (10-12-2021)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 GL550, 2013 C63
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia
I love the way this engine and automobile keep getting a bad rep, bottom line is I would like to quote a review from when the SUV originally came out, " If you are buying this engine for fuel economy and low cost maintenance, you should be looking elsewhere" bottom line is I love my GL350, going on 150K miles and with proper maintenance I could not ask for a better car, I tow a small trailer in the mountains and drive it like I stole it. the power and torque this truck has is second to none for the comfort it provides, the handling is all Mercedes, I LOVE IT, now for the price to keep,I would venture to say that its up there, I have been in front of all the possible screw ups Mercedes made on this vehicle and happy to say I have never limped back home, I have repaired all the typical oil leaks they tend to have and changed the oil methodically at 3000 miles, screw that 10K crap on the manual, and happy to say the engine purs like a kitten and runs like a bat. very happy with the performance and size of this SUV, had an Audi Q7 supercharged and loved the performance while feeling like in a sardine can. bottom line if your looking for reliability and low cost, run from this vehicle, if you enjoy a Mack truck with the ride and luxury and style of a Mercedes Benz, this might be the truck for you. I have no plans on selling mine, and bottom line is that I have spent very little more on maintenance and repairs than I did with my prior Jap box that drove like a roller skate.If your not willing to open up your wallet and get your hands dirty and get in front of the more than documented issues surrounding this car why buy it at all.
Nice post. Good to see this in a slurry of negative threads.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Bimmer777
Nice post. Good to see this in a slurry of negative threads.
I agree. I think things get skewed online - I mean, how many people post just to say "my engine has no issues". Most of the time people only post when there's an issue - which is normal and to be expected, of course. But that makes it seem like ALL of the engines have issues - especially if there's a few people that continue the "myth" - sometimes without even knowing much about the engine, maybe not owning one, or the only thing they know about it is what they read online, which just perpetuates the mis-information.

Case in point, I have been very happy with my engine. Great mileage - even accounting for the higher pre gallon price of diesel, it's still less money per mile in terms of fuel. Lot's of torque - never downshifts on hills on the highway. Have there been things I've had to repair/replace? Sure. But what mechanical thing doesn't have that. But overall, nothing at all to complain about.
The following 2 users liked this post by DennisG01:
2008 ML 320 CDI (12-29-2019), CreativeS (11-16-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry, only just saw this.

Other than a small oil leak from my oil filter adapter (o-ring), relatively uneventful. No complaints, getting an average of 850 kms on a tank of gas....er, diesel.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:40 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by peter2772000
We did the DEF/DPF/EGR delete on our 2013 ML350 back in November. Best $1400 I ever spent.

Bought the truck with 20k kms or 12k miles in September of 2017. Literally owned by an old lady. In the first year and under warranty, the DEF tank had to be replaced @ $3700 CAN and the EGR at $1700. The writing was on the wall after that...

- Installed an oil filter adapter which allows the use of a honking big spin-on oil filter for superior filtration
- Popped the belly pan and engine covers to allow for lower under-hood temps during the summer. Hopefully my oil cooler seals will appreciate the gesture
- Started running high-zinc content oil, first motorcycle oil and now Amsoil Dominator 20W50 oil for summer, and Signature series oil for winter. Hoping my timing chain will thank me by lasting much longer than they seem to presently
- Did the above-mentioned DEF/DPF/EGR. So no worries about clogging my DPF, especially now that I'm running high zinc/phosphor oil

Other than a noisy(er) first minute of engine operation when she's left out in sub-freezing temps, you can't tell a difference. No black smoke that I can detect, same power level.
And yes, I drank the Stephen's Garage Koolaid. No regrets to date whatsoever. The only regret was buying a diesel MB under the false impression that I was buying reliability. If I'd done my due diligence beforehand, I'd have never bought the truck even though I'd gotten it for a fantastic price.
But, I've made my bed and now I have to sleep in it. At least I'm trying to put the odds in my favour LOL

Peter,
Can you give me your source for the DEF/DPF/EGR delete for your 2013 ML350?
- Purchase plus DIY?
Have the DEF Blue heater out, and P2201/P229F codes active. 2013 with 200k...
I like the $1400 option and never look back.

TK
Old 12-28-2019, 07:06 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
I agree with peter2772000 200%. Bought ML350 BT for the same reason as peter.
-->>> Good deal..."at the time".
I just spoke with my brother today about my MB ML350 POS.

His 2013 Toyota Tundra, his work truck as he does Renovations.
- 400k KM, and has yet to have a CEL.
- His new 2018 Toyota Highlander had an EVAP code and something to do with a charcoal canister

Last edited by x5kieffer; 12-29-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm up in Canada, had the work done by a local shop affiliated with Malone Tuning. I did none of the work myself. They re-used my DPF flanges on a custom bypass pipe, which saved me about $500.
No codes related to the mods whatsoever!
Old 12-29-2019, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by x5kieffer

His 2013 Toyota Tundra, his work truck as he does Renovations.
- 400k KM, and has yet to have a CEL.
My daily driver is a 2007 FJ Cruiser. Bought back in 2010 at 60k miles as a salvage title. I'm presently at 136,000 miles. I've NEVER owned a vehicle as long as I've had this truck. Unstoppable, just won't break down...
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 AM

GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by peter2772000
No issues here. Kept the cats, so no smells from the get-go. Malone Tuning did the DPF/DEF/EGR deletes, so I never had to unplug anything etc. No "remaining starts" either. As well, I only paid $1400 CAN but to be fair to quron, my shop re-used the flanges from my DPF.
Fuel mileage "might" be a bit better, but my wife's driving habits and short driving distances make fuel mileage calculations all but impossible. She believes that the consumption has dropped mildly. Performance-wise, 0-60 MPH is at around 8 seconds, so par for the course.
We've had absolutely no issues or CELs. The truck is reliable to date. I run high(er) zinc oil which theoretically protects the metal components better. I lose the engine cover and belly-pan in the summer, though this is probably more important for someone in year-round warmer climates who's stuck in stop'n go traffic every day.

If I had to do it all again, never would've bought a diesel or a German vehicle. We naively bought this low-mileage for a steal, thinking we were buying reliability. Uh, no.
We also own an X6 which we leave down in our winter home in FL. Thankfully, it has the in-line 6 which is bulletproof, but we've still had to do repairs on it with (now) only 46k miles under her. I've always been an "American Only" vehicle owner. The US manufacturers have certainly improved exponentially in fit/finish and reliability. I own a fleet of 6 service vans and pick-ups. They are typically good for a couple hundred thousand kilometers before starting to show attitude.

But, I'm blown away by the reliability of my 2007 FJ Cruiser. 120,000 miles and I have yet to replace anything other than maintenance items. Freakin' thing is bulletproof. I've never owned a vehicle this long (bought it in 2010, US salvage-titled to boot). I'm 59 yrs old and have been thru dozens of vehicles and this beast is the best to date.

Sorry for carrying on. To answer your question; If it were me, I'd trade it in on whatever turns your crank. If it's another German POS, do a lease and toss them the keys after 3 yrs. Let someone else deal with the issues out-of-warranty.
ya Malone is shieza! They killed my buddy's x5 and would never recommend them. Its been over a year and the x5's still not right and they keep giving him the run around. Told him to go to JR....all the way.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:38 PM

2013 ML350 Bluetec
Well when I visit family, guess i look at getting it done. Next summer..thanks.
TK
Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Punnzzells
ya Malone is shieza! They killed my buddy's x5 and would never recommend them. Its been over a year and the x5's still not right and they keep giving him the run around. Told him to go to JR....all the way.
Truly sorry to read that, it's the first slam of Malone that I've personally witnessed.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:37 AM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
@peter2772000 Did you also noticed increased rpm at idle after delete? Quron mentoined in post #27 on this thread that his "car idles as if it's cold 100% of the time now". I have same issue, I noticed increased rpm at idle after delete and I'm looking for solution for that and I'm curious whether malone tune will also have this issue.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope, no high idle when warmed up. You honestly can't tell the difference from stock.
The following users liked this post:
artim808 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 06:56 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLE 350, 2013 GL 450
Mine is fine as well.
The following users liked this post:
artim808 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 10:21 PM

@ccrobin What's your idle RPM? It is around 580rpm or 750rpm? I feel like some models have increased idle rpm from factory.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:17 AM

It probably depends on the tuner you bought it from. It’s definitely programmed to do this in the tune itself.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:13 PM

gl350
Can any one help me, I’m trying g to find where my scr module is on my 2013 gl350. Just received the ecu and can’t seem to find it anywhere
Old 01-18-2020, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Evan Crouch
Can any one help me, I’m trying g to find where my scr module is on my 2013 gl350. Just received the ecu and can’t seem to find it anywhere
Did you check under the tool kit in the trunk? That’s where it is in the X164.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:50 PM

Like quron says, the module is located under the foam that holds the jack in the trunk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 GL350 DPF/SCR/ADBLUE Delete