GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

How to use a scan tool (OBD-II)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GL 550 + 2010 GLK 350
Question How to use a scan tool (OBD-II)

Hi fellow members.
I bought a iCarsoft MB II scan tool to see whats going on with my two cars (2010 GL 550 and 2010 GLK 350)
I could connect it through the OBD-II port and power it up
Ran the auto scan that lists all the systems
Went into the systems one by one to read DTCs

Now I have lots and lots of DTC codes. Most of them seem to be false, they gave me the impression that at some point during a battery change, those codes were generated and are waiting there to be read.

My logic tells me to reset everything, drive the car for a while and run the tests again to see what real codes I will be left with.
Does this make any sense?
I got the tool and run the diagnostics but not sure what to do next. In theory I know how to use the scan tool but I don't know what I should be doing next and what the tool is useful for (apart from resetting oil lamp etc.)

I wanted to consult you before resetting the codes as it might not be reversible.

This is the GL if you wonder:
https://streamable.com/19t14
Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 481 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by ignorant
Now I have lots and lots of DTC codes. Most of them seem to be false, they gave me the impression that at some point during a battery change, those codes were generated and are waiting there to be read.
Why do you say they seem to be false? Did you mean transient? Are there current issues, and these codes seem to be unrelated? Nothing is "false", just irrelevant.

My logic tells me to reset everything, drive the car for a while and run the tests again to see what real codes I will be left with.
Does this make any sense?
Sure, just write down everything stored first, for future reference.

I got the tool and run the diagnostics but not sure what to do next. In theory I know how to use the scan tool but I don't know what I should be doing next and what the tool is useful for (apart from resetting oil lamp etc.)
The tools don't hold your hand. You have to look around and do a bunch of research to determine the meaning of terms, readouts, etc. There is a wealth of info awaiting you. Frankly, I wouldn't dig into it unless you're troubleshooting a specific problem. For example, I was struggling with a misfire code, and thus learned all about what the oxy sensor data is telling me.

I wanted to consult you before resetting the codes as it might not be reversible.
Of course the clearing is not reversible. It's also not significant. All you have done is cleared a readout. It's like picking up a printout from your printer. If you don't throw away the info, it's not gone.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:41 PM

What I mean is, around the 2:15 mark you can clearly see some error codes related to rear windows but they are working fine.
I have some error codes related to rear parking lights etc but they also are working fine.
Sunroof also the same, works perfect.

So I thought they might have been created when my battery was low or being changed and when I have a new one installed, those didn't go away on their own because the mechanic didn't flush my ECU.

Could this be the reason I'm seeing so many DTCs?
Did you watch the video?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
What I mean is, around the 2:15 mark you can clearly see some error codes related to rear windows but they are working fine.
I have some error codes related to rear parking lights etc but they also are working fine.
Sunroof also the same, works perfect.

So I thought they might have been created when my battery was low or being changed and when I have a new one installed, those didn't go away on their own because the mechanic didn't flush my ECU.

Could this be the reason I'm seeing so many DTCs?
It will help a lot for you to understand what the tool is telling you: At some point in the past, the computer found an error condition at a bulb, the sunroof, etc. Was the error condition driven by the change of battery? Possibly. Were there transient faults? Maybe. Is your truck haunted? Magic 8-Ball says NOT DEFINITELY NO.

If you're hoping that someone reading these words, or watching your video, will say "Aha! You have crickets nesting in the fuel system!", well, I think you'll be disappointed. You simply have to assemble more pieces to the puzzle. Write down the codes, clear them, and wait for a problem to occur that you have to troubleshoot. Then dig into it. Make sense?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:24 PM

Yes that makes sense.

My real actual question was:
Is it ok to clear the codes and then drive the car and redo the diagnostics.
So that I'll get a much clear view of what's going on.

The thing is I'm not seeking a magic answer to fix everything that's wrong with my vehicle.
I am an enthusiast and said "Why not" to myself and bought the icarsoft thingy. Now I'm trying to understand what's going on and how to use it.
By how to use it, I don't mean: plug it into the obd port, fire it up, push this and that and voila type of thing.

I want my truck to be in tip top shape and my intention is to fix everything that's wrong with it.
What I meant was is it OK to clear the codes on the car via the device, I don't want to erase something important

My real world concerns are only driver side drl, front driver and passenger door keyless unlocking buttons, slow cranking and occasionally not working ac.
The DTC codes are somewhat important to me becase they might be indicating something important that I might not have experienced like the airbags. If they are not functioning as they should, I want to know. The idea was to reset the code and see if it comes up again, this way I'll know my airbags have a problem.

You made it clear that its perfectly ok to clear the DTC codes. I will do it today.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Good. Reply with your results.

I keep a bluetooth OBD adapter in at all times so I can check codes and other basic engine data whenever I'm curious or bored. Torque Lite plus a smart phone; life is good.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Yes that makes sense.

My real actual question was:
Is it ok to clear the codes and then drive the car and redo the diagnostics.
So that I'll get a much clear view of what's going on.

The thing is I'm not seeking a magic answer to fix everything that's wrong with my vehicle.
I am an enthusiast and said "Why not" to myself and bought the icarsoft thingy. Now I'm trying to understand what's going on and how to use it.
By how to use it, I don't mean: plug it into the obd port, fire it up, push this and that and voila type of thing.

I want my truck to be in tip top shape and my intention is to fix everything that's wrong with it.
What I meant was is it OK to clear the codes on the car via the device, I don't want to erase something important

My real world concerns are only driver side drl, front driver and passenger door keyless unlocking buttons, slow cranking and occasionally not working ac.
The DTC codes are somewhat important to me becase they might be indicating something important that I might not have experienced like the airbags. If they are not functioning as they should, I want to know. The idea was to reset the code and see if it comes up again, this way I'll know my airbags have a problem.

You made it clear that its perfectly ok to clear the DTC codes. I will do it today.

sorry it’s been busy!

It should be perfectly fine to clear the codes as long as you have the pictures to compare before and after if they do come up again.

It is nice to have a record in case they do.

Most of the codes you posted in the video seem to be low voltage codes that can occur from the battery swap as you said you performed. The others like the keyless go and drl light should come back.

The permanently actuated handle will most likely necessitate replacement.