GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Windshield replacement

Hi All,

I just wanted to share the windshield replacement process I went through wihh safelite and the various quotes I got.

With safelite I got a quote for the oe pgw solar and reflective winddhield for 880$

The same windshield from another provider I was quoted around 650$.

I ended up going through safelite due to a direct bill agreement with my insurance company and a $0 deductible

The new windshield looks great, has the uv and solar reflective feature and is much clearer than my tattered ap tech oe windshield.

Now I'm just wondering how much labor will cost to change the front windows to the blue tint windows! 😬
Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I was always curious if insurance would pay for an OEM windshield, or if they would insist on a sub-par windshield. I've seen too many "wavy looking" windshields out there on cars. Mine is starting to show it's age...
Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 136 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by DennisG01
I was always curious if insurance would pay for an OEM windshield, or if they would insist on a sub-par windshield. I've seen too many "wavy looking" windshields out there on cars. Mine is starting to show it's age...
the oe oem and aftermarket labeling gets confusing when it comes to windshields.

Oe is the one with the Mercedes logo and part number

Oem is from the same manufacturer as the oe part pgw aptech securit ( but maybe didn't make qc)

Aftermarket is the safelite or other version of the windshield

I was very happy to get oe, it was less than 100 difference betweenbthe aftermarket windshield with solar reflective and the oe one so they just paid the difference.

It really does make a world of difference. No more microchips on the windshield and now I have the ir coating too

Now I just need to get repaired the damage a local car wash inflicted on the rear 😭