GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Strange Airmatic Problem - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL550
Strange Airmatic Problem - Help Needed

The last year and half have seen me replace almost every component on the Airmatic suspension. For the last year (did not improve with component fixes), when I raise my GL550 (off road setting), the compressor will kick on and raise the vehicle. The compressor will then cut off. Shortly after (10 seconds or so), the compressor will kick in and continue running. I will have to put it back on the lower setting as to not burn out the compressor. I attached my Autel scan tool and put it on live mode. All the level sensors seem to be working and are within a few millimeters of each other. Anybody have any thoughts on this problem?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 240 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
How does this compare to what you asked about a few months ago? https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...lp-needed.html

Can you expand on what has been replaced (brands) and when? What other diagnosis have you done? Soapy water (REALLY well)? Does the vehicle physically lower in Offroad mode?

If this in ONLY happening in Offroad mode, then a bag is leaking. Unless the vehicle isn't actually reaching the proper height - you didn't mention if the display indicates 'raised' properly - then the compressor could be worn out/failing. That shouldn't happen with a relatively new compressor, but possibly an off brand compressor could be inferior... or even a good brand could be bad due to a fluke.