GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

07 gl450 shifting

Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 x164
07 gl450 shifting

since i got my gl 6 yrs ago I had shifting problems, 1-2 shift head snapping harsh when cold (or slight flare if REALY baby throttle) only on initial start-up,The other ****s are erratic at times and mostley only noticable if you know what to look for, I've overhauled a/t for years but that was 22yrs ago. When I bought it it came with a after market warranty so I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a bad valvebody separator plate and replaced it and apparently had to marry the new part to the car, when I went back later to see how things were progressing I found the tech about to pull out his hair as he couldnt get them to marry so I came back later when they said it was ready and took it home. The next morning I took it out and nothing had changed, same problem. I do know it had that common turbine valve code? and that was gone and no other codes showing . When I told them at the dealer they said I have to drive it for a while for it to adapt, well I have waited 40,000 km and no joy.
Any thoughts?? I'm thinking I might want to sell it in the future and it;s not a good selling point.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by Richard Tammi
since i got my gl 6 yrs ago I had shifting problems, 1-2 shift head snapping harsh when cold (or slight flare if REALY baby throttle) only on initial start-up,The other ****s are erratic at times and mostley only noticable if you know what to look for, I've overhauled a/t for years but that was 22yrs ago. When I bought it it came with a after market warranty so I took it to the dealer who diagnosed a bad valvebody separator plate and replaced it and apparently had to marry the new part to the car, when I went back later to see how things were progressing I found the tech about to pull out his hair as he couldnt get them to marry so I came back later when they said it was ready and took it home. The next morning I took it out and nothing had changed, same problem. I do know it had that common turbine valve code? and that was gone and no other codes showing . When I told them at the dealer they said I have to drive it for a while for it to adapt, well I have waited 40,000 km and no joy.
Any thoughts?? I'm thinking I might want to sell it in the future and it;s not a good selling point.
have you tried resetting the trans adaptation procedure? I would say start there.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/
Old 01-26-2019, 03:56 PM

'07 x164
shifting

Originally Posted by kombifan

have you tried resetting the trans adaptation procedure? I would say start there.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/
Do it every once in awhile, Helps a bit.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 475 Posts
2007 GL450
Do it every once in awhile, Helps a bit.
Don't want to be irritating, but: Are you sure you're doing it right? I found, for example, the lateral acceleration learning to be wicked difficult to do correctly. I was wondering if maybe flicking the switch directly on the ECU is better.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM

'07 x164
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Don't want to be irritating, but: Are you sure you're doing it right? I found, for example, the lateral acceleration learning to be wicked difficult to do correctly. I was wondering if maybe flicking the switch directly on the ECU is better.
Hi, I have a printout of the instructions from MB in my glovebox but I dont recall anything about flicking a switch on the ecu? where is it and how do you do it. I'm willing to try it. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 475 Posts
2007 GL450
Hi, I have a printout of the instructions from MB in my glovebox but I dont recall anything about flicking a switch on the ecu? where is it and how do you do it. I'm willing to try it. Thanks.
Figurative. I meant like in DAS. I don't know but I suspect it can also be done in the lower systems like MBII.