GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 drive train noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2019 | 12:58 PM

2012 GL450
GL450 drive train noise

Looking for any help possible because my 2012 GL450 with 80K miles is causing me to go insane. I have drive train noise in what appears to be from the front drivers side wheel. It starts usually at highway around 65 mph. The pavement has to been smooth and can only be described as someone playing the drum sticks on a wooden block. I've had the wheel bearing replaced along with a the half shaft. New tires didn't help, and I have noticed when rocking the tire at the 12 & 6 position some movement. The passenger side does not exhibit that same play. There's also noise at slow speeds, like 25 mph, but the rode needs to be smooth.
Old 03-09-2019 | 09:41 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StephenPage
Looking for any help possible because my 2012 GL450 with 80K miles is causing me to go insane. I have drive train noise in what appears to be from the front drivers side wheel. It starts usually at highway around 65 mph. The pavement has to been smooth and can only be described as someone playing the drum sticks on a wooden block. I've had the wheel bearing replaced along with a the half shaft. New tires didn't help, and I have noticed when rocking the tire at the 12 & 6 position some movement. The passenger side does not exhibit that same play. There's also noise at slow speeds, like 25 mph, but the rode needs to be smooth.
normally this is a half shaft problem. At about 80k miles it is just about time. But yours is new. Are you sure it was replaced? With a good quality one? There is a lot of aftermarket junk for cv joints for the x164 out there. Next is bearing and tire- but those are new too. You should have no free play 12-6 and 9-3. If there is try to find it- work upper ball joint, lower ball joint bushings, etc. also check hub surface mating to wheel- it could be uneven surface and wheel is wobbling on hub. Rotate wheels/ tires to see if problem disappears/ moves/ changes...