GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Timing Chain Options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2019 | 05:36 AM

GL350
Timing Chain Options?

Time for the timing chain replacement, 2011 GL350 w/ 124k mi. Has a pretty load chain slap for the first 2-3 seconds after start up. So, I have been reading up on the repair and began calling around to Indy shops and diesel performance shops in the area. Seems like estimates are coming in over a wide range ($1900-4300). I am assuming the lower end estimates are just pulling the valve cover and feeding the new chain in as opposed to the higher estimates which I assume is pulling the timing cover and replacing all the guides and using the one piece chain (already riveted)?

Am I correct in this assumption?
Any reason to stay away from a diesel performance shop vs. and Indy shop? I've read both good and bad about dealer timing chain repairs and seems like an Indy shop is the way to go (more experience)?
I've also thought about doing the job myself (yes, I've read Sak's very descriptive write up), weighing out the options and trying to make the right choice.

Thoughts???
Old 03-03-2019 | 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Do you really love your diesel and plan to keep for a long time? If not, trade in and cut your losses. It's ridiculous that you would be replacing a timing chain so early but I've seen a lot worse. The OM642 is fraught with issues and this is the first of many you will have with the vehicle.i

If I was going to keep, I would take it to a good independent that had extensive experience with this engine and would do it the right way and not just roll a new one in. The front of the engine will need to come off so the tensioners can be replaced. It's a big job to do it the right way.

Last edited by BlownV8; 03-03-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-09-2019 | 11:09 AM

04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Do you really love your diesel and plan to keep for a long time? If not, trade in and cut your losses. It's ridiculous that you would be replacing a timing chain so early but I've seen a lot worse. The OM642 is fraught with issues and this is the first of many you will have with the vehicle.i

If I was going to keep, I would take it to a good independent that had extensive experience with this engine and would do it the right way and not just roll a new one in. The front of the engine will need to come off so the tensioners can be replaced. It's a big job to do it the right way.