GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Bluetooth/MBrace issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Bluetooth/MBrace issues

2011 GL350, I am having trouble with my bluetooth system in the car. It has no problem syncing with the phone and transferring contacts. The issue is during a phone call the sound will cut out. People can still here me talking its like the speakers stop working. Radio, cd, dvd, RES and streaming bluetooth work fine just the phone. Now my car does have the extra bluetooth box in the glovebox for streaming..I thought it was causing problems so disconnected and still get the same behavior. The phone never disconnects from the car or the call.

I was also told to sign up for Mbrace service I needed to press the wrench button to connect. None of the Mbrace buttons do anything not even the SOS.

I am starting to think there may be a coloration between the mbrace and bluetooth. Does anyone know how to bypass the mbrace module..and where it would be located.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by bluegl350
2011 GL350, I am having trouble with my bluetooth system in the car. It has no problem syncing with the phone and transferring contacts. The issue is during a phone call the sound will cut out. People can still here me talking its like the speakers stop working. Radio, cd, dvd, RES and streaming bluetooth work fine just the phone. Now my car does have the extra bluetooth box in the glovebox for streaming..I thought it was causing problems so disconnected and still get the same behavior. The phone never disconnects from the car or the call.

I was also told to sign up for Mbrace service I needed to press the wrench button to connect. None of the Mbrace buttons do anything not even the SOS.

I am starting to think there may be a coloration between the mbrace and bluetooth. Does anyone know how to bypass the mbrace module..and where it would be located.

Thanks
Who told you you need the mbrace buttons to function?
Are you paying for mbrace? Do you want them to work.

To fix the Bluetooth call function unpair your car from the phone on both sides. Delete it on both sides. Update your phone to any new software if available. and try pairing from fresh again.

Try these steps first, then we'll see if you need further help.

P.s. If you have an iPhone make sure when your on the call that the phone is set to mb Bluetooth when calljng and not the headset or speaker.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:21 AM

W204 2012 COUPE
Help

Hi am new to this i have attached a video below of what my problem is

Old 03-21-2019, 08:27 AM

GL350
I called MB USA and they said to activate it I needed to press the button.
Not paying for Mbrace..but seems odd that it does not do anything when pressing the buttons. In a VW I had with a similar system, even disconnected it would tell you to contact the number or something

Steps I have taken to try to make it work - should have listed this first.
  • Unpaired all devices from Radio and phone
  • reset the radio through the menu, cleared all BT devices tried to connect
  • Removed Mi-Plus module (thinking it was causing an issue) same result.
  • Made sure my software is the most recent (iphone 8 ios 12.1.4)
  • Reset the network settings on my phone
  • Tried android phone
  • Removed both main and aux battery for 24 hours
  • Unplugged and replugged all modules under the rear seat as well as removing the head unit to do the same
  • No frayed or broke wires that I can find anywhere
I just wanted to make sure I have tried everything before taking it to the dealer to find the issue. I believe the longest phone call I have had where I could hear the other party talking was 5 minutes. Then it cuts out..but lately it has been cutting out right as it starts.

The Mi-Plus module streams the BT without issue. I have even made sure that my phone is using the correct BT connection as I have had it try to use the Mi-Plus rather than MB Bluetooth.

Some odd observations
  • The MI-Plus will not let me remove any BT devices..still shows my iphone 7 -
    • Tried resetting the module, unplugging it ect..can't figure out how to remove any of the devices.
  • When I place the call on handset from my phone MB will keep pulling the call in at times but when it activates..no sound, however people can hear me.
I am also wondering if you can get a MOST bypass for the mbrace module as along with the bluetooth seems to be broken..also anyone have the location..I believe it is under the rear seat but the only thing obvious is the Sirius tuner.

Most bluetooth issues with any other car are as easy as clearing everything and re-pairing as you said.

All other features work, Radio, Sat, SD card, Aux in, Rear seat entertainment, backup cam..

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
I called MB USA and they said to activate it I needed to press the button.
Not paying for Mbrace..but seems odd that it does not do anything when pressing the buttons. In a VW I had with a similar system, even disconnected it would tell you to contact the number or something

Steps I have taken to try to make it work - should have listed this first.
  • Unpaired all devices from Radio and phone
  • reset the radio through the menu, cleared all BT devices tried to connect
  • Removed Mi-Plus module (thinking it was causing an issue) same result.
  • Made sure my software is the most recent (iphone 8 ios 12.1.4)
  • Reset the network settings on my phone
  • Tried android phone
  • Removed both main and aux battery for 24 hours
  • Unplugged and replugged all modules under the rear seat as well as removing the head unit to do the same
  • No frayed or broke wires that I can find anywhere
I just wanted to make sure I have tried everything before taking it to the dealer to find the issue. I believe the longest phone call I have had where I could hear the other party talking was 5 minutes. Then it cuts out..but lately it has been cutting out right as it starts.

The Mi-Plus module streams the BT without issue. I have even made sure that my phone is using the correct BT connection as I have had it try to use the Mi-Plus rather than MB Bluetooth.

Some odd observations
  • The MI-Plus will not let me remove any BT devices..still shows my iphone 7 -
    • Tried resetting the module, unplugging it ect..can't figure out how to remove any of the devices.
  • When I place the call on handset from my phone MB will keep pulling the call in at times but when it activates..no sound, however people can hear me.
I am also wondering if you can get a MOST bypass for the mbrace module as along with the bluetooth seems to be broken..also anyone have the location..I believe it is under the rear seat but the only thing obvious is the Sirius tuner.

Most bluetooth issues with any other car are as easy as clearing everything and re-pairing as you said.

All other features work, Radio, Sat, SD card, Aux in, Rear seat entertainment, backup cam..

Thanks for reading.
I've tackled this exact same issue, but with a Samsung s9. Tried all the steps you listed. The command system is using an outdated Bluetooth 2.0 firmware I believe, our latest phones are up to 5.0.

The only thing that seems to work is when I'm connected to the command system Bluetooth and nothing else. If I'm connected to my Samsung watch or playing music via the Boovie bluetooth module i have connected to the iPod 32 pin in the glovebox, I start having issues with phone calls. Sometimes it works if I turn on bluetooth from my s9 upon entry, but it only lasts a day or so.

I've tested my theory multiple times with the same result. I believe its a connectivity/handshake issue with an outdated system. Sucks, because I'm content with the radio overall, but the phone call issue has me looking at a new Alpine.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 AM

GL350
So do you have the same issue where you lose the sound. I'm with you, i'm happy with how it sounds. My biggest issue to going aftermarket is the analog clock in the dash and losing the different menu screens..unless anyone knows if they just disappear if they are not available.

I do have an apple watch so I will try removing it and only having the command system and see if that makes a difference. I was thinking the dealer might be able to upgrade the software but not sure if thats even possible..of course calling them they will not give me any info on what version it is on.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:38 AM

GL350
I wonder if its possible through software update to not have the Mi-Plus module and be able to stream through the command system.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wonder if its possible through software update to not have the Mi-Plus module and be able to stream through the command system.
Have you completely tried resetting thedcommand?
There is a procedure somewhere, but perhaps easiest may be disconnecting the battery for an extended period? Correct me if I'm wrong or if it sounds foolish.

I have great success with a coolstream carpro to stream music whilst still using the command mb Bluetooth for phone calls. Do you want to try purchasing it off amazon to test it out? Amazon of course has the 30 day return policy no questions asked.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by kombifan
There is a procedure somewhere, but perhaps easiest may be disconnecting the battery for an extended period? Correct me if I'm wrong or if it sounds foolish.

I have great success with a coolstream carpro to stream music whilst still using the command mb Bluetooth for phone calls. Do you want to try purchasing it off amazon to test it out? Amazon of course has the 30 day return policy no questions asked.
I have reset it multiple times both through the command system, pulling fuses, removing the battery overnight, unplugging the various modules overnight.

The issue is not with bluetooth streaming..its the phone calls on the command system. I would give up streaming if I could get my phone to work :-) Thank you for the suggestions..I am willing to try anything.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please let me know what you find in engineering mode.

END CALL + 6 + *

I don't have the car with me right now otherwise I would look.

If you could check maybe there is a way to reset Bluetooth or command software or even update software from there.

Drastic issue is to buy a used command.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 PM

So do you have the same issue where you lose the sound. I'm with you, i'm happy with how it sounds. My biggest issue to going aftermarket is the analog clock in the dash and losing the different menu screens..unless anyone knows if they just disappear if they are not available.

I do have an apple watch so I will try removing it and only having the command system and see if that makes a difference. I was thinking the dealer might be able to upgrade the software but not sure if thats even possible..of course calling them they will not give me any info on what version it is on.
Yes, I can hear the other end for a few seconds, then it cuts out. They can hear me, but I can't hear them.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by kombifan

What kind of phone are you using? Also what year and series of your GL, do you have the Harmon Karden system?

Last edited by JesusV; 03-21-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:20 PM

GL350
So @JesusV I believe you nailed it. I turned off my watch, only connected the command bluetooth and it seems to have fixed the issue. At least on one call. I am going to try it for a couple days to see if it works.

It is a 2011 GL350 with the Harmon Karden system.

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by bluegl350; 03-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:49 PM

GL350
@kombifan
In the engineering menu I could not find a place to reset..but my BT Software is 2.0036.10, BT Firmware 2.0038.11 and BT Hardware 2.0038.11

Is there anyway to see if I have the latest version offered for the command..or is that just a take it to the dealer and pay to have it checked.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM

@kombifan
In the engineering menu I could not find a place to reset..but my BT Software is 2.0036.10, BT Firmware 2.0038.11 and BT Hardware 2.0038.11

Is there anyway to see if I have the latest version offered for the command..or is that just a take it to the dealer and pay to have it checked.
I just got back from the dealer. Had to get my bolster seat compressor pump replaced. They wanted to charge $150 to diagnose the bluetooth problem, but it would go towards the service if you decide to get it repaired/updated. Though, I would think that an update to the command system should be free, I didn't even think about asking ( gotta blame it on the blue moon).

On the flip side, the command system's bluetooth may be too outdated and we've surpassed its limits.

Like previously stated, the Mb bluetooth doesn't like having your phone connected to another device. It's as if it's jealous that your phone is seeing another unit.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:33 PM

So after some contemplating, I've decided to go ahead and update the command system. It'll cost me $150, but I'm hoping this will fix my bluetooth issue and save me from spending over $800 on a new HU.

If not, well, it cost me $150 and I took one for the MB forum team!

I spoke to my service manager and she said there are bluetooth updates in the firmware. Appointment is Monday afternoon, stay tuned!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM

Updated the command system and unfortunately it didn't fix the bluetooth issue. Worked fine for the first 2 calls I made, by the 3rd, it was muting the call and I couldn't hear the other end.
Still works fine with only the command system being connected, but once you add another bluetooth device it starts acting up again.

Oh well, a new HU is in my future.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM

GL350
I wanted to followup for everyone that may be having the issue. @JesusV was correct the command system does not like additional bluetooth connections. That stinks that the update did not fix the bluetooth issues. Did the dealer charge for the update or is it something you can do online?

Thank you so much for the help, I can now use my phone!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:31 PM

I wanted to followup for everyone that may be having the issue. @JesusV was correct the command system does not like additional bluetooth connections. That stinks that the update did not fix the bluetooth issues. Did the dealer charge for the update or is it something you can do online?

Thank you so much for the help, I can now use my phone!
Yes they charged me $150, the service manager threw in updated gps maps though. I'm still trying things out. I went to engineer mode to reset the bluetooth and cleared all the devices. Did the same on my phone and will test it out this week.

As an alternative music work around, I connected my iPod Touch via bluetooth to the Boovie dongle and my s9 to the command system only. I downloaded an app called Hotspot Automatic on my phone to turn on the hotspot when it connects to the MB bluetooth.
This way I can use online services on the iPod. Side note: As a bonus, the Boovie displays the song title on the dash display and HU when connected to an apple device. I've been using my S9 and never had that feature.

I think a designated music player that stays with the car may be a good alternative, while still allowing me to make calls with no interruptions. I really don't want to change the HU, I'll see if I can live with this set up. In theory it should work fine.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:19 PM

Still having connectivity issue with the phone connected to both the command and the Boovie bluetooth adapter after the update. So, I've been using the iPod Touch as the primary music source. Disconnected the boovie adapter and ended up buying a long usb cable that I ran from the glovebox to the small coin tray and placed the iPod Touch there. A few pluses for being connected directly. 1st, the iPod stays charged all the time, 2nd when playing online music apps, the title displays on the dash and hu (Boovie adapter only showed title of songs that were on the iPod, not online sources like Pandora). 3rd, I have the iPod right next to me incase I want to use Siri or change sources and settings.

As an added bonus, when I pulled the dash trim to run my wire to the coin tray, I discovered a Mid City Engineering Starter module tucked in the dash. Apparently I had remote start on my GL and didn't even know it. One press of the the panic button starts the car. So in a way, it was meant to be. Kind of glad I went through this whole ordeal, if it wasn't for the connectivity issue, Id never would have known about the remote start. Win!

Last edited by JesusV; 03-31-2019 at 03:52 PM.