GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

The airmatic compressor filter installed in reverse position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Yes. That might have been the problem.

Any competent mechanic can replace the struts and and air springs.

But reading the codes for the air compressor abd valve block is a little tricker. Plus if he realised the filter was facing the wrong way...He should have known that it would be contaminated so I don't understand why he didn't recommend replacing it right away.

A indy who works only on mercedes is usually better. But also still pricey. It's best to shop around.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by kombifan
Yeah. You need a compressor too. You might have luck with them on paying half or some.
Arnott compressor is $389 on Amazon. Move on and be done with it.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e55 amg / 1998 Carrera S
Yes!!!

Originally Posted by nativecrafts
Our Mercedes mechanic while replacing air matic block valve assembly noticed that airmatic compressor filter was installed in reverse direction resulting dusty air not being able to filtered out. As a result internal component may have damaged. Still give malfunction codes. He thinks the air filter was installed wrong in the factory by Mercedes.
I brought the car to Mercedes dealership for further investigation explaining them what I was told by other Mercedes mechanic. Car is still in the shop.
What are my chance to have Mercedes bear the cost of repair when the part was installed wrong by them?

How do I contact Mercedes to file complaints?

Hey I believe the reason that the mechanic said that the filter was installed wrong is because the filter has an arrow. On my e55 I noticed that the filter arrow was not pointing in the direction of airflow to the compressor like one would think. Mine was like yours I believe and the arrow was pointing in the opposite direction of air flow. I have no idea which way is correct. I know this post is fairly old but I guess I was hoping you found an answer. It doesn’t make sense to me.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Older post, but unless OP is the original owner and can document that nothing has been done to the compressor, he has no case. Even then it’s a case that favors Mercedes position.

its probable that the oil in the system is from the new compressor.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The notion of a filter installed incorrectly at the factory is ridiculous and is indicative of what you can face working with independent mechanics who so very often don’t know what they’re doing but are big with conspiracy theories.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
The notion of a filter installed incorrectly at the factory is ridiculous and is indicative of what you can face working with independent mechanics who so very often don’t know what they’re doing but are big with conspiracy theories.
yeah I’ll buy that too.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by nativecrafts
$15,000 on repair? Will never buy a Mercedes again.
Yes I and previous seller had annual maintenance done at the same dealership. They have record of all maintenance.
Only time I went outside Mercedes repairshop was to replace two rear air springs.
I have kept meticulous (side joke: Is **** retentive hyphenated?) records and have spent just over $15K in repairs and maintenance over 100K miles, from 67K miles.

Truth be told, while it seems like a lot, it's only equal to the depreciation over that time period. It's not that much per mile. I've spent $8K in insurance.

You'd have had to pay me more than $15K to drive a Sienna that distance. I had one and hated driving it. I still love driving the GL. As alx posted once, that truck ages well. The turning point was when I went off road, and I realized just how capable the thing is.

The cats are going out, but thankfully I'm leaving Cali soon and can have cheap aftermarket cats put in.

I probably would have been happier overall with a F150, but what's done is done.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Valid points Eric. I’ve spent about 6-7k in parts on my two GL450s over the course of the last three years and depreciation is near flat....bought both at less than 10k and will drive them into the ground.

OTOH I lost about $40k in Mx, depreciation and insurance over two years running a Yukon XL Denali.

curious - what’s your new handle gonna be when you leave CA ?
Old 05-04-2020, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 482 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Valid points Eric. I’ve spent about 6-7k in parts on my two GL450s over the course of the last three years and depreciation is near flat....bought both at less than 10k and will drive them into the ground.

OTOH I lost about $40k in Mx, depreciation and insurance over two years running a Yukon XL Denali.
Yeah, the thing still looks great, has been garaged all its life, and I now know it well enough to not be afraid of it. Why wouldn't I keep it? Especially now that gas will be cheap for the foreseeable future. I should change the valve stem seals (drinks oil) and there is lifter noise ... want to see if I can fix either or both of those with additives before gritting my teeth and getting down to it. It might be Stockholm Syndrome, but dang it I'm kind of fond of the thing.

Originally Posted by Max Blast
curious - what’s your new handle gonna be when you leave CA ?
hahaha I know, right? I thought about it as I wrote the post. Headed for Texas, and I don't know whether this forum allows name changes.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450cdi x164
Originally Posted by lkchris
Just replaced the compressor, new suction filter, and hose. The OEM filter was installed with arrow pointing away from compressor, the new filter was pre-installed to hose with arrow pointing towards compressor.

GL 450CDI
VIN: WDC164828A******

Last edited by Jamm; 10-16-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Typing error