GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

OM642 Emissions Deletes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 04:12 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2013 GL550, 2013 GL450 (sold), 2010 GL350 (sold)
OM642 Emissions Deletes!

Hey guys! So I’m gonna take the time to talk about deleting the emissions stuff on the car and things pertaining to that. I’m getting a lot of PMs over this topic. Please read the entire thing before making any moves!

I’ve physically deleted the DPF and SCR Converter from the exhaust system. I’ve also tuned out the DPF, DEF/SCR (all of the adblue crap), EGR, and Swirl Flaps via ECU Tuning. I had my tuner put a performance tune on it too, but that’s a different topic.

What I did to have the DPF and SCR Converter deleted was I ordered a special delete pipe from Buzzken and I had my mechanic install it. What it appears he did was he unbolted the DPF from the exhaust system and removed the sensors (NOx, pressure sensor, etc) that connected to the DPF and then cut the SCR out and installed the delete pipe. You bolt it on from the DPF side and use the exhaust clamps that come with the delete pipe and bolt those on from the SCR side onto the exhaust system.

I hit up my local tuner and they handled the deletes for me. They tuned out what I have listed in the beginning with each system delete being $100 each. Check with your tuner to see how they price emissions deletes.

All-in-all i’m very satisfied with these modifications, however the exhaust smell is very, I say again, very potent. Potency of the odor usually depends on engine temperature and/or engine speed (RPMs). On a cold start it’s pretty bad as well as kickdown or basically speeds over 3500 RPMs. You can smell it in the cabin if you have the climate control on. When you’re moving you’re not going to smell it at all. It’s only noticeable when you’re idling/not moving. I usually turn on the air recirculation when idling.

Does it roll coal? Well not entirely. In normal human being driving conditions there’s no smoke at all. But, if you’re like me when I first got these mods done you can see a hint of grey smoke when pushing the engine hard. Oh, and on cold starts you’ll see the smoke like every other car. After the engine warms up it disappears and it depends on the driver. Honestly, when I kickdown when the engine and oil is at operating temperature I never notice smoke. Also, the smoke is never black. Just a very light grey.

What about MPGs? Well, I can’t really comment on this because I had my tuner put their performance tune on it and my MPGs are usually 23 city and 29 highway (going 75 or less) and having the tune is what probably increased my MPGs. I feel like regardless you’re gonna get MPG gains anyway because the exhaust will be free flowing at this point.

Is it loud? Nope! The exhaust note is just more defined. It’s a little louder, not loud as hell, but it’s noticeable. This is because I left the mufflers on. Now, you know if those mufflers got deleted it would be a different story...

Delete pipe or tune first? TUNE IT FIRST! You’re gonna figure out what Limp Mode is quick if you decide to go with installing the delete pipe first.

20 Starts Remaining?! Haha, this was my favorite part. After your mods are done and you’re sure that your tuner did everything correctly, you will need to go into the trunk and pull out all of the roadside tools and then remove the black foam cover to access the SCR Module. Unplug it and just disconnect everything, including those fuses in there, all except the backup camera module (little white box with “Philips” printed on it). After this is complete, no countdown. You don’t HAVE to do this because when the countdown does reach ‘0 starts remaining’ the car is still gonna start every time. This is just to get the annoying message off the dash permanently.

DEF Tank? You can physically remove it now. It is already disabled upon tuning out the SCR/DEF.

Don’t even have the BlueTEC system on your OM642? Lucky you! Buzzken also sells DPF-Only delete pipes for your car. All you have to do is tune out the systems according to what your car is equipped with.

So, here we are. If anyone has any questions, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can. Good Luck! This is an awesome mod.

2010 GL350 DPF/SCR/ADBLUE Delete Thread

Last edited by quron_southwest; 04-04-2019 at 04:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by quron_southwest:
Dawa (04-18-2021), GMW2323 (03-07-2024), IBelieve (04-08-2019), S-Vibes (07-15-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Getting ready to get my tune & delete programming from OETuning. Spoke with them, they indicated that the tune no now can come on the MyGenius Flash Drive, so hopefully no need to remove the ECM and send in (still skeptical though). Want to make sure I ask for everything needed for the emission deletes and get it right the first time. Obviously, the DPF, EGR and DEF need to be deleted. Do I need to also request the SCR be deleted or will that be deleted as a result of the other deletions? Also, is the swirl flap deletion something I need to request as an additional delete? If so, once deleted, do I need to remove the EGR and swirl flaps or will the delete suffice???

Thx as always!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by zerochills
Getting ready to get my tune & delete programming from OETuning. Spoke with them, they indicated that the tune no now can come on the MyGenius Flash Drive, so hopefully no need to remove the ECM and send in (still skeptical though). Want to make sure I ask for everything needed for the emission deletes and get it right the first time. Obviously, the DPF, EGR and DEF need to be deleted. Do I need to also request the SCR be deleted or will that be deleted as a result of the other deletions? Also, is the swirl flap deletion something I need to request as an additional delete? If so, once deleted, do I need to remove the EGR and swirl flaps or will the delete suffice???

Thx as always!
Hey,
SCR is part of the DEF system. And yes, the EGR and swirl flaps are additional deletes. You don’t have to physically remove the EGR nor swirl flaps after they are disabled in the ECM.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL450 2007 GL320
I have a 2007 GL320. I just did the OETuning DPF tune with a CBEngineering DPF delete pipe. I am super happy with the power gains.........although it seems my transmission is not. LOL!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by benztech1986
I have a 2007 GL320. I just did the OETuning DPF tune with a CBEngineering DPF delete pipe. I am super happy with the power gains.........although it seems my transmission is not. LOL!
AWESOME! I’m glad I could help. But, yeah... My transmission hates it too, especially on cold starts! Generally, it’s smooth but the sudden power may startle the tranny, I’ve noticed. Sometimes on kickdown it’s like “okay... OHHHH OKAAAAAAAY!!!” Then everything works out. I’ve had the tune for over 6,000 miles and I haven’t had a problem since. I can’t wait to hear your experience and everyone else’s.
Enjoy!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL450 2007 GL320
Hi All, just to follow up on this subject. After some driving and recalibration of the shift points using a friends SDS.........knock on wood my transmission has settled into the new tune and power. Fingers crossed all components continue to play nice together.

- CBEngineering DPF Delete
- CBEngineering turbo resonator delete
- OETuning GL320 tune w/DPF Delete
Old 07-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 GL350
I've been contemplating this, but using Malone tuning in Canada for the bench flash, as they offer much more HP gain opposed to torque increase.

https://malonetuning.com/ecu-tuning/mercedes-smart-cdi

The only thing holding me back is the exhaust gas, as this is my wife daily driver w three little ones. When you say he cut the SCR out, I'm wondering if that could be left in to help w this aspect? Or would it inevitably clog up?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:47 PM

Hi All, just to follow up on this subject. After some driving and recalibration of the shift points using a friends SDS.........knock on wood my transmission has settled into the new tune and power. Fingers crossed all components continue to play nice together.

- CBEngineering DPF Delete
- CBEngineering turbo resonator delete
- OETuning GL320 tune w/DPF Delete
Videos!!! I didn’t even realize you could change shift points via SDS.. I’d love to see how your cat performs.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 Bluetec , 300TD
Hi...W164 with OM642. I sent CB Engineering almost $1000 for pipes and kits. That was 3 months ago. They have not replied to my emails and there is no phone number to be found.
As a customer, can you please possibly help me with contact into for this outfit. Thanks
Old 09-20-2023, 09:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
E63 and GL450, ML350 bluetec
Originally Posted by lowlevelflyer
Hi...W164 with OM642. I sent CB Engineering almost $1000 for pipes and kits. That was 3 months ago. They have not replied to my emails and there is no phone number to be found.
As a customer, can you please possibly help me with contact into for this outfit. Thanks
hope you get in contact with them.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by lowlevelflyer
Want to know why?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...efeat-devices/
Old 10-29-2023, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep WK 3.0 CRD
delete pipe to cat adapter

DPF
what part did you use to connect the output of the cat to the flat flange on the CB Engineering delete pipe? i have the cat delete pipe and dpf delete but just want to use the dpf delete but cant find a way to use it without cutting and welding.