10.1 Android Joying installed on 2012 GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
10.1 Android Joying installed on 2012 GL550

Hello all!

First off I'd like to thank all the members that contributed their installs on the forums. I could not have done it without all the great posts and tips, thank you! Hopefully I can return the favor by giving out some helpful tips here.

After months of trying to deal with my bluetooth issue, I finally gave in and decided to install a new HU. I chose the Joying 10.1 Android 8.1 4gb ram/32gb memory stereo. Purchased it from Ebay for $310, Amazon has them for $390.
Amazon Amazon

Additional parts purchased:

Farka to Gps Antenna - For using stock GPS
Amazon Amazon
Farka to FM Antenna - For using stock fm antenna
Amazon Amazon

Farka to RCA - For using stock rear view camera
Amazon Amazon

Dash trim kit
Amazon Amazon

Probably the most important part (and the most expensive) / Made install super easy! See below
Wiring interface - For steering wheel control and for using stock amp/harmon kardon
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LPM...Interface.html

The HU came nicely packaged with all the wires and screws necessary for install, including gps antenna (not used), FM antenna (not used), wired mic (not used, HU has mic on screen)

Crutchfield wiring harness. This one thing I believe saved me from frustrations that other members have experienced. This was wired correctly for the ant/power, reverse, illumination, and HK sound system. I just wired the color coded wires to the radio harness and was done in 15 minutes. Very important note when installing this particular radio. The wiring interface has two wires Key 1 and Key 2, both must be connected to Key 1 and Key 2 on the HU, no other wire gets connected from steering interface. No power or ground wires were connected. The HU did not have the headphone jack for steering control, so no need for that either.

Wires were soldered and taped with Tesa Tape after.

HU with Dash kit

If you have a 2012 GL with Harmon Kardon you do not have to run an extra cable to use the FM antenna! The Farka cable is connected to the harness, just find it and pull back the foam. Press the white tab just above the pink tab to release. Then plug in your Farka to FM adapter and done. Radio works flawlessly and super clear!

The optical wire is the only thing that had to be removed from the stock main harness and inserted to the most interface. Very easy to release, just pull down on tab and pull. Interface came with an adapter inserted in the unit, just remove and install it on the optical wire and plug in.

Interface came with and adapter inserted in the unit, just remove and install it on the optical wire and plug in.

Wires taped off. Ran 1 USB and SIM card reader to glove box. 2 CarPlay USB I ran down to the coin tray.

FM Radio in action

Reverse/ So much nicer on a bigger screen

Steering wheel controls work, the HU has an app for designating the buttons. I haven't played with it too much, but I tested bluetooth, wifi, radio, phone and all worked flawlessly. The only small gripe I have is the color choices for the HU buttons, they only give you a few colors to choose from, no biggie though. I'm also going to remove the Joying logo, company said I can remove it but will wait to make sure the unit doesn't fail. The HU starts up instantly too which is nice. Will give an update as time goes on, hope this helped someone!

Last edited by JesusV; 05-04-2019 at 05:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JesusV:
CharlzO (08-09-2019), EWT (05-05-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Originally Posted by JesusV
Hello all!

If you have a 2012 GL with Harmon Kardon you do not have to run an extra cable to use the FM antenna! The Farka cable is connected to the harness, just find it and pull back the foam. Press the white tab just above the pink tab to release. Then plug in your Farka to FM adapter and done. Radio works flawlessly and super clear!
I installed the AVIN Android HU and having a hard time getting the FM radio to work. A lot of the installation I've seen is 2007/2008 GL which looks like has a different stock HU so they have a black Fakra antenna connector. I have a 2010 GL which from your statement about peeling back the foam to disconnect from harness sound identical to my setup. The problem is when I connect the foam end of the Fakra to my HU antenna port I get almost no reception. Did you have to do anything to power the FM antenna amplifier in the rear hatch? Did you do anything with the harness from which you disconnected the antenna Fakra cable?

BTW:
What I find interesting is when I disconnect the FM antenna cable on the stock HU the FM radio still works with no signal loss. In fact, if I disconnect all the harnesses in the back of the HU with exception of the big QuadLock ISO connector, the FM radio still works. I wonder how it's getting such a great reception supposedly without an antenna. Is this through MOST fiber?
Old 09-22-2019, 01:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 GL550, 2016 C300, 2005 Mustang
Originally Posted by tadiguy
I installed the AVIN Android HU and having a hard time getting the FM radio to work. A lot of the installation I've seen is 2007/2008 GL which looks like has a different stock HU so they have a black Fakra antenna connector. I have a 2010 GL which from your statement about peeling back the foam to disconnect from harness sound identical to my setup. The problem is when I connect the foam end of the Fakra to my HU antenna port I get almost no reception. Did you have to do anything to power the FM antenna amplifier in the rear hatch? Did you do anything with the harness from which you disconnected the antenna Fakra cable?

BTW:
What I find interesting is when I disconnect the FM antenna cable on the stock HU the FM radio still works with no signal loss. In fact, if I disconnect all the harnesses in the back of the HU with exception of the big QuadLock ISO connector, the FM radio still works. I wonder how it's getting such a great reception supposedly without an antenna. Is this through MOST fiber?
Hey Tadiguy, yes I connected it it the way described. I do believe the fm antenna is connected to the rear seat satellite system (which is powered) as stated in other threads. I didn't connect any other cable, but we're also not comparing the same radio. I would suggest connecting directly from the sirius antenna in the rear just in case. Though, if you get good reception with no cable connected, then just leave as is...?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 GL550; 2010 GL450
Thanks. I'll try connecting to the satellite tuner (I found the thread describing this where you also chimed in). It's interesting that using the foam covered connector worked for you while it didn't work for others and me. Learning about the rear satellite tuner is helpful and given the number of other coax connectors in that area I suspect what is going is that the bundle of cables that terminate at harness from which the formed connector originally goes to is some kind of multiplexer to share the same physical antenna for all the radios. The harness going to the MB head unit then switches in the appropriate tuner (FM, Sirius, etc.) to use the rear antenna based on user selection. This is my theory and if I have time I'll investigate further. Perhaps in your case it defaulted to Sirius radio when you removed the MB head unit and so it worked without a problem. Did you have functioning Sirius radio subscription/use before you switched head units?

Originally Posted by JesusV
if you get good reception with no cable connected, then just leave as is...?
This was in reference to the the stock MB head unit when I was trying through elimination to see if I can identify what really makes the FM radio work in the MB head unit; The Avin gets poor reception with or without a connection so I'm going to try connecting at the rear satellite tuner. Thanks again.