GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rear Hatch Hydraulic Pump Reservoir Leak Fix - Oring size?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450
Rear Hatch Hydraulic Pump Reservoir Leak Fix - Oring size?

Good day! I have a 2008 GL450. My rear hatch had started not opening completely. Would still close for a while, and then would neither close or open. Could hear the motor fo the hydraulic pump running each time. Inspected hydraulic pump and found reservoir was nearly empty and the foam cushion is rests in to be soaked in hydraulic fluid. The bowl was originally found sort of ****-eyed (crooked). Replaced the factory clamp with a stainless hose clamp and refilled. Lasted for a couple of weeks, but has now leaked enough that is will not open fully again, but still close with no problem. I had debated about replacing my oring at the time, but it did not look bad, and I was in a hurry, so did not have time to track the appropriate size down, and replace.

That brings me to this question, anyone actually replaced this oring before and had success getting the reservoir to seal properly again? I have a local industrial place I can get basically any size oring I need, but wanted to see if anyone new the actual factory size they could share. Also, wanted to know if any one had had success repairing this resevoir seal before. If this doesn't work, I will replace the pump, but seems stupid to not be able to replace the oring and have an effective fix.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Originally Posted by v8_ranch
Good day! I have a 2008 GL450. My rear hatch had started not opening completely. Would still close for a while, and then would neither close or open. Could hear the motor fo the hydraulic pump running each time. Inspected hydraulic pump and found reservoir was nearly empty and the foam cushion is rests in to be soaked in hydraulic fluid. The bowl was originally found sort of ****-eyed (crooked). Replaced the factory clamp with a stainless hose clamp and refilled. Lasted for a couple of weeks, but has now leaked enough that is will not open fully again, but still close with no problem. I had debated about replacing my oring at the time, but it did not look bad, and I was in a hurry, so did not have time to track the appropriate size down, and replace.

That brings me to this question, anyone actually replaced this oring before and had success getting the reservoir to seal properly again? I have a local industrial place I can get basically any size oring I need, but wanted to see if anyone new the actual factory size they could share. Also, wanted to know if any one had had success repairing this resevoir seal before. If this doesn't work, I will replace the pump, but seems stupid to not be able to replace the oring and have an effective fix.

Thanks in advance.
No answer?