OIL FILTER WARNING

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 572 Likes on 481 Posts
2007 GL450
OIL FILTER WARNING

I did a Blackstone oil analysis and was surprised to find high iron content. I struggled with the rep for a while (although responsive, they don't exactly put their best people on the front lines) and finally came up empty, no good explanation found. I decided to do an oil and filter change to try again with a new baseline. Here is what I saw when I pulled off the filter housing:

Bosch filter.

I've used one or two Mobil 1 filters, one Hengst, and the rest Mann. Never seen anything like this. Horrible. I had to take apart the filter housing because all three filter parts (two end caps and media) all separated.

Fortunately I do not drive in dirty air, and the filter was only in there 7k miles.

Horrible.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 06-09-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2021 V167
Filter..

Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
I did a Blackstone oil analysis and was surprised to find high iron content. I struggled with the rep for a while (although responsive, they don't exactly put their best people on the front lines) and finally came up empty, no good explanation found. I decided to do an oil and filter change to try again with a new baseline. Here is what I saw when I pulled off the filter housing:

Bosch filter.

I've used one or two Mobil 1 filters, one Hengst, and the rest Mann. Never seen anything like this. Horrible. I had to take apart the filter housing because all three filter parts (two end caps and media) all separated.

Fortunately I do not drive in dirty air, and the filter was only in there 7k miles.

Horrible.
That is horrible...Order some OEM filters and keep them on the shelf. They do not really cost much more but worth it for sure.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Bosch oil filters sold in USA are simply something cheap marketed by Bosch USA. They are unrelated to anything available in Europe.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by lkchris
Bosch oil filters sold in USA are simply something cheap marketed by Bosch USA. They are unrelated to anything available in Europe.
this is not how this works.

however, this filter appears to have a manufacturing defect which is unacceptable. unfortunately, there is no direct measurable financial impact on the customer, so the most he can do is contact bosch and they will send him a replacement filter- hardly even worthy the time to deal with it. now if he had a catastrophic engine failure and the filter was found in this state - there might be a case... but not now...
Old 05-16-2023, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Speaking of oil filters is anyone using the French Purflux filter with the chevron pleats? My German parts guy said to use it, and I found a press release from the company saying Mercedes had adopted it as their OEM some several years back ...