GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

I am in Airmatic HELL!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I am in Airmatic HELL!

I have an 08 GL450 and I love it! All but the freaking air ride system that we have to constantly replace airbags on! That is really the only issue I have ever had with the car and this time it has been as if the car was possessed. Hubby replaced the front passenger bag, again, and the pump continued to make noise, loud noise. He pulled the relay on it to check it and when he put it back in it popped and the car died. Started it back up and did it again. No pop but this time the car would not start and run for more than 4-5 seconds at a time with an abrupt shutdown, as if I had started the car and then killed it. We have asked/searched everyone and every internet site we can find and have had no luck with any of it. Finally today he goes out there and takes the pump off and low and behold the dang car starts and runs fine but I have no air in the airbags so the car is a low rider! He plugs the pump back in and starts the car, dies in 4-5 seconds. Unplugged it again and it runs? What the HELL? Any ideas? I am about ready to convert to springs!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Sounds like you may have a short circuit on the air pump which is causing a high amp draw when you try to start (this is the only way your symptoms make sense to me). Your Hubby is already on the right track: try replacing the pump. You may need a new relay also. And, just in case, test your battery to make sure its at full capacity.

If the pump has been making that loud rattling noise, then the compressor has gone bad (the pump should run pretty quiet). Again, replacing the air pump should solve your issue.

GL.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Agree - either the wiring to the pump, or the pump itself. And, yes, the pump should be almost imperctible in terms of sound. It has probably been slowly getting worse and worse - you just didn't notice since it often happens gradually. Sounds as if you were driving it for a while with it being loud?

When you say "constantly replacing airbags"... how often is that? Replacing the same one multiple times? How many miles in between replacements? All air bag systems will eventually fail and need replacement - they're rubber, so it's just the nature of the beast - kinda like tires. But it shouldn't be happening frequently. Unless the replacements are of inferior quality - like ebay "specials", or something? FYI, Arnott Industries makes good products and warrants them for life (including compressors).

FYI... you probably know this, but don't drive the car without the system working properly as damage to other components can result. Making the pump work harder than it should or putting undue stress on other coother components, for example.

I know it can be frustrating, but if it's fixed properly with quality components, it really should give tens of thousands of miles of reliable service. That being said, anything can happen to anything at any time, of course! After all, they're just mechanical things. On the other hand, some have happily converted to springs - granted the ride quality won't be quite the same, but it's not like it would be "bad", either. Me? I'll stick with the bags

Last edited by DennisG01; 07-29-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 PM

GL450
Never replaced the rear but have had the car about 7 years and replaced the front bags 3-4 times pump and relay once. And yes with Arnott. He would like to see me buy a new car, but I love THIS car and it is believe it or not in VERY good condition. Excellent for its age and I don’t see the need if we can resolve this.

Last edited by Michelle Mincey; 08-02-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:49 AM

2006 ML500
I am currently dealing with compressor not engaging. Your problem is the compressor change that and relay it should be good as new. You guys can bench test the compressor by connecting 12v battery to the connector and check how strong the air it pumps.