GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2012 GL450 rear end sagged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
gl 450
2012 GL450 rear end sagged

I left my car at the airport for two days and when I returned the rear end had dropped almost to where the tires were rubbing on the insides of the ceiling of the fenders. While I was driving home I pressed the Airmatic button on the dash and the car went into Raised position and it seemed to be sitting about right when I parked it in my garage about an hour later. The next day it seemed to still be sitting at the correct height but it rides about like it did prior to me replacing all of the shocks with new Arnott units, i.e. the ride doesn't seem very solid or controlled.

What does this sound like? Maybe I need to install new rear airbags but I don't want to go to the trouble if I don't need to.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by 1xsculler
I left my car at the airport for two days and when I returned the rear end had dropped almost to where the tires were rubbing on the insides of the ceiling of the fenders. While I was driving home I pressed the Airmatic button on the dash and the car went into Raised position and it seemed to be sitting about right when I parked it in my garage about an hour later. The next day it seemed to still be sitting at the correct height but it rides about like it did prior to me replacing all of the shocks with new Arnott units, i.e. the ride doesn't seem very solid or controlled.

What does this sound like? Maybe I need to install new rear airbags but I don't want to go to the trouble if I don't need to.
It’ll be bouncy and stodgy if you try to drive it around in the raised position, if that’s what you’re saying.

How old are the rear air bags? It’s probably time. 15 minutes a side and you’re done:
Old 10-30-2019, 05:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
gl 450
See the problem and how it was solved above in "Arnott R&R rear airbags 2012 GL450."

So, I wonder what caused the original first incident of the rear end dropping to the lowest it could go after sitting for two days in the airport parking lot? I drove the vehicle for about two weeks at a raised level with no airbag leaking.

Last edited by 1xsculler; 10-31-2019 at 11:20 AM.