GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ABS/ESP inoperative (Drive to workshop without shifting gears)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2019 | 02:40 PM

2009 GL 450
ABS/ESP inoperative (Drive to workshop without shifting gears)

I know a lot have cars have had some variation of this issue, but if anyone can help troubleshoot my specific example, I's appreciate it.

2009 GL-450. Started in the morning, cold (in Colorado). After a few seconds, I got flashing/alternating "ABS/ESP inoperative, see operators manual", followed by "Drive to workshop without shifting gears" in red.

At this point, the car went from park to neutral (on its own). I think I also saw something flash that said "semi-safe mode."
The clock starts winding round and round, and the rpm goes to zero, even though the motor is running. The wipers also started going.

I turned off the car, tried to restart.... nothing. Then I disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and the car started normally and drove fine.
This has now happened for about a week, every day. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery 3-4 times, but eventually it fixes itself.

It only seems to happen in the morning, when the car is completely cold. It has never happened later in the day.

Coincidentally, it started happening the day I had all 4 tires replaced, when I went to the tire shop to pickup the car. Not sure if that's related in any way.

Ideas before I take it to the shop and get taken to the cleaners?

Thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
Mark Pasieka (01-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023 | 10:49 AM

2009 GL450
Originally Posted by Jack Jensen
I know a lot have cars have had some variation of this issue, but if anyone can help troubleshoot my specific example, I's appreciate it.

2009 GL-450. Started in the morning, cold (in Colorado). After a few seconds, I got flashing/alternating "ABS/ESP inoperative, see operators manual", followed by "Drive to workshop without shifting gears" in red.

At this point, the car went from park to neutral (on its own). I think I also saw something flash that said "semi-safe mode."
The clock starts winding round and round, and the rpm goes to zero, even though the motor is running. The wipers also started going.

I turned off the car, tried to restart.... nothing. Then I disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and the car started normally and drove fine.
This has now happened for about a week, every day. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect the battery 3-4 times, but eventually it fixes itself.

It only seems to happen in the morning, when the car is completely cold. It has never happened later in the day.

Coincidentally, it started happening the day I had all 4 tires replaced, when I went to the tire shop to pickup the car. Not sure if that's related in any way.

Ideas before I take it to the shop and get taken to the cleaners?

Thanks guys!
Did you ever get this fixed?
Old 12-28-2023 | 07:32 AM

W164
Originally Posted by Air2msc
Did you ever get this fixed?
did you fix this issue ?
Old 12-28-2023 | 06:02 PM

2009 GL450
Originally Posted by Freeman2020
did you fix this issue ?
I'm still having this issue, seems more frequent during cold weather. Very rarely happened during the summer.
Old 12-28-2023 | 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Classic water intrusion symptoms, possibly in combination with a failing vehicle speed sensor on the transmission valve body.
Old 12-29-2023 | 03:04 AM

W164
I'm still having this issue, seems more frequent during cold weather. Very rarely happened during the summer.
i think why in cold weather ? i have same issue. i changed auxilary battery also. if there is ground problem or demagad wires. it does not wait cold weather. so what is part of car which waits cold weather coroded wires ?
Old 12-29-2023 | 04:18 PM

2009 GL450
When I clear codes, still have active multiple items not communicating with eis and eis not having any faults. Makes me lean towards eis, but hate to spend the money guessing. Checked all common water intrusion areas and no signs of water.
Old 12-30-2023 | 06:16 AM

W164
When I clear codes, still have active multiple items not communicating with eis and eis not having any faults. Makes me lean towards eis, but hate to spend the money guessing. Checked all common water intrusion areas and no signs of water.
i am waiting code scanner and will check detail. also checked possibly places for water intrusion but no sign.