GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 bumper question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 GL550
GL550 bumper question

Goodness, how many different part numbers do they have for these things! Anyway...

Since it's seemingly near-impossible to just type in 2010 GL550 bumper and get an actual part, I finally found a part number from one, A1648856425 that at least is a GL550 bumper with the larger opening for the grill. I do have the curve headlights, parking sensors, and washers. So if there's actually a different part number for that combination, I would be more than glad to know it!

My question though is this: I have found one replacement bumper (mine has a chunk broken out from a run in with Bambi), and while it does have that part number, it doesn't show any parking sensor holes. Is it feasible, since the bumper needs prep and paint anyway, to simply drill the holes appropriate for the parking sensors, or is that something that might need to be calibrated a lot closer than me and a tape measure could do, or mounting hardware molded in that wouldn't be, or whatnot? I'm still on the path to track down a sub-$1000 bumper (and that's not counting the stupid flare that I can't find anywhere available), so I may stumble across yet another "right" part number, but in the meantime, is this a possible option? I would just have it disabled and not bother putting them in, but it might be something good to keep around for other drivers or the next owner someday.

Kind of spit-balling, but so far it's the closest idea I have.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
I don't have an answer for your specific question, but... have you checked with your insurance? I thought that hitting a deer was covered under the comprehensive side of insurance, rather than collision? That way you could just find a good, local body shop and say "fix, please". You might also check with a body shop regarding fixing the bumper. I a bumper on a neighbors car last year - came out pretty good, if I do say so myself! He didn't care about painting it (it was the lower/underneath lip) so we didn't do that part. But the actual repair came out nice.

Regarding your question about sensor mounting... I'm not sure about the actual "mounting the bumper part"... I think they click into some type of mount that is glued on the backside of the bumper? But, about the "you and a tape measure" part... I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work. They're just measuring the distance in front of them and reporting that back to the computer.

Did you try realoem dot com for the part number? Or just call a dealer? That old-fashioned thing where you punch in numbers and are connected to real, live person still works amazingly well...
Old 12-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2010 GL550
Originally Posted by DennisG01
I don't have an answer for your specific question, but... have you checked with your insurance? I thought that hitting a deer was covered under the comprehensive side of insurance, rather than collision? That way you could just find a good, local body shop and say "fix, please". You might also check with a body shop regarding fixing the bumper. I a bumper on a neighbors car last year - came out pretty good, if I do say so myself! He didn't care about painting it (it was the lower/underneath lip) so we didn't do that part. But the actual repair came out nice.

Regarding your question about sensor mounting... I'm not sure about the actual "mounting the bumper part"... I think they click into some type of mount that is glued on the backside of the bumper? But, about the "you and a tape measure" part... I can't see any reason why that wouldn't work. They're just measuring the distance in front of them and reporting that back to the computer.

Did you try realoem dot com for the part number? Or just call a dealer? That old-fashioned thing where you punch in numbers and are connected to real, live person still works amazingly well...
To be honest, when I hit the deer, it was basically the bumper flare and the chunk out of the corner. I had remembered seeing one on carparts or some other website that showed for about $200ish, and my uncle does body work (free labor). So between all that, seemed like it would've been easier to just do it myself and not deal with the insurance and all that. Guess I should've thought that through a little more. Unfortunately though, I did collect all the pieces but it was so brittle, it did pretty much just shatter into pieces in that section. It's not to say it might not be repaired, I might be able to patch it and mold it with fiberglass if I get that desperate. I did find, finally, a picture of the back side, and you are correct, they do have standoff mounts on the back that the sensors click into. Searching hasn't turned up any outside of Russia lately, but I figure I'll keep an eye out between now and spring. It's an eyesore, but not affecting any function. Just bugs me is all, and I had an offer to have it purchased for Christmas if I found one. Oh well. Might still get lucky. lol

Old 12-23-2019, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
With Mercedes EPC you would type in your VIN and be shown the exact part number your vehicle was fitted with at the factory (or a superseding number, of course)

Yes, it’s correct, if you just type in 164xxx, you’ll get them all.

At this date I suspect all that’s available new are bumpers in prime ready for local painting.